How can I be faster with a DS4?PS4 

• Thread starter JR98
  • 1 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
Quite simply, I'd like to know what I can do to be a faster driver on Assetto Corsa, especially when it comes to online racing, since I seem to be the slowest person in every race I enter, to the point of being beaten by GT4 cars when I'm driving GT3.

Here's a quick video of me hotlapping the 911 GT3 Cup at the Nurburgring GP circuit:

And these are the driving aids I currently use:
C5ap1LMWMAAL8xv.jpg:large

I'm a wheel user, but I'll tell you what I can see from the video above based on 20 years playing driving games...

Your lines and approach look broadly fine, but I think you're struggling with the usual problems a pad user will have;

1. It's difficult to apply a small amount of lock, or make tiny corrections to the steering when you're using a stick
2. It's difficult to apply accurate throttle with sticks/triggers

You can see this clearly when you watch the movement of your wheel in the video and how you're applying the throttle... the movements are often jerky/hard. This unsettles the car.

Think of it like this...

The more steering lock you have applied, the less throttle you can use.

With a wheel, you can often exit corners with 95% throttle applied, where 100% would see you spinning... and doing this with the pad is incredibly difficult. In all my years playing driving games, I've only known a handful of pad users who have the dexterity to manage this at a level consistent with fast wheel users... a fraction of 1% of the fastest drivers.

The ONE thing I would say is always try and keep your steering to the absolute minimum... on several occasions (and I only watched the 1st couple of laps), I see your virtual driver crossing his hands mid corner - meaning you're using a lot of lock (maybe max)... you would never see this with a wheel user... if you need this much lock to make the corner you're over driving the car (too much speed)... take a bit of speed out of the entry/mid corner phase and focus on maximising your exit speed... this is where lap time improvements come from.

Good luck 👍

Latest Posts

Back