How Can McLaren be Fixed?Formula 1 

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 9 comments

Dotini

(Banned)
United States
Seattle
CR80_Shifty
I've seen the problems and heard the excuses. How is this going to be fixed?

Is it money? Probably not.

A Canadian businessman, who is father of Force India test driver Nicholas Latifi, has become a shareholder in the McLaren Group.

Nidala (BVI) Limited, controlled by Michael Latifi, has made an investment reported to be over £200 million for around 10 percent of the group. That makes Latifi the company's first new shareholder since the departure of Ron Dennis in late 2016.

The McLaren Group encompasses the Formula One racing team as well as its Automotive and Applied Technologies divisions. Announcing the news on Monday, McLaren said the investment will "significantly strengthen the group's balance sheet and underpins its ambitious growth plans"

"I have been an admirer of the McLaren brand and its businesses for some time," Latifi said. "McLaren is a unique organisation in automotive, racing and technology with exciting long-term growth prospects, which is why I have made this investment. I am proud to be part of McLaren and this incredible brand."

McLaren's other major shareholders are Mumtalakat, the Bahrain sovereign wealth fund, which owns a controlling stake of around 56 percent, and Mansour Ojjeh, who owns 14 percent. There are also four smaller shareholders, including Singapore billionaire Peter Lim.

Latifi's son Nicholas, 22, finished fifth in last year's Formula 2 championship and won the sprint race at Silverstone. After a mixed start to the season he is ninth in this year's standings.

Reuters says The McLaren Group has insisted there is no connection between the deal and the Canadian's racing career.

Organisation and better management.

It’s been clear for a few seasons that McLaren have a good concept for the car but keep changing philosophies before they can get the most out of each concept.

They need a strong designer and technical manager and then the proper management to get the most out of it.

Organisation and better management.

It’s been clear for a few seasons that McLaren have a good concept for the car but keep changing philosophies before they can get the most out of each concept.

They need a strong designer and technical manager and then the proper management to get the most out of it.
My understanding is that they rely more on a committee basis than other teams when it comes to design and management. Is that the way it is?

My understanding is that they rely more on a committee basis than other teams when it comes to design and management. Is that the way it is?
I’m not sure, but I know from comments Adrian Newey has made that McLaren often come up with good concepts for cars, but then fail to develop them and then scrap them all together for the following season.

A Racer.com story on internal dissent. Is it at all possible Eric Boullier is part of the problem?

By: RACER Staff| June 22, 2018 10:12 AM

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier has defended his management record following a report of dissent within the team.

After starting the season with high expectations, McLaren has been well off the pace of the top three teams and has slipped behind Renault in the battle for fourth in the constructors’ championship. With the team having failed to score in each of the last two races, a report in Sportsmail cited an unnamed source describing McLaren’s management as “clueless,” leading to a “toxic” atmosphere that has led to strike threats after Freddo chocolate bars were handed out as rewards.

“Obviously, we are all responsible for the car performance,” Boullier (pictured above) said in response to the report and his position within the team. “No, I will not resign, to answer your question … I’ve got my 20th year now in racing, I’ve won races and championships with every team I’ve managed before, including Formula 1, so this is some record that you cannot take away from me.

“So I think we’re on a journey. We are not where we want to be, we are not happy with where we are — but with the journey, with the new Renault engine partner, and obviously we have a good team of people, we just need to make sure we are finding the issues with the car and correct them.

“We know where the issues with the car are, and make sure… when you build a car, when you believe in a concept, you have to develop the concept and make sure you correct it for the next one.”

1015180608-lat-20180527-_x4i5456.jpg

McLarens mired in midfield. (Image by Glenn Dunbar/LAT)

When asked if he will be seeking to discipline the member of staff who spoke out, Boullier replied: “This is obviously an internal matter, so we need to discuss what we need to see internally, what’s going… why that individual is unhappy.

“When you have, obviously 800 people… we have a lot of support from the workforce and from the engineering. I think it’s just a matter of a couple of people who are grumpy. Actually, in some way it’s maybe good for us because we have a lot of feedback — and good feedback.”

Boullier played down the report, saying the views of one individual employee do not necessarily reflect those of the whole team.

“I think at this level of responsibility we are all obviously working for the company, we are all making sure we take our responsibilities.

“There have been a couple of stories about some chocolate in the media today, which was a bit funny to read — and again, it was good because actually we have tons of email from people saying, ‘This is a joke.’ So maybe it’s a couple of people grumpy, which in any organization you have some people who agree or disagree when there has been maybe miscommunication.

“I don’t know what is the problem of these people and I think we have invited them to come and see us to understand what their problems are, other than obviously talking through the back doors.”

-Chris Medland

Elsewhere I've read that the aero problems cannot be solved at the wind tunnel, but only by track testing. It was mentioned they use the Toyota wind tunnel at Cologne. Does anyone else in F1 use this facility?

Dropping Boullier wouldn't hurt no? Worth a shot :lol:
Not sure about people on engineering level, as in who's gone and come since 2012, but they definitely need a strong leadership, and neither Boullier or Brown seems to be that. They need somebody of Ron's caliber but with fresh ideas.

Just look at Sauber, middle of 2017 Vasseur comes in, he drops Honda deal, scores a Ferrari/Alfa deal, he gets a technical support, current spec engine, CHARLES, takes in new personnel, team becomes a regular point scorer. All that from a team which would score points once or twice a year, nearly went bankrupt, signed multiple drivers for one seat.
He did it all in one year.

Changes have to come from the top.

Rehire Newey and get fag money.

This solution also applies to: How can Williams be fixed?

Back