How can you tune and test?

• Thread starter Linx
  • 15 comments
United States
United States
Does anyone know how to tune and test? I've tried to go in the "Free Run" option but the only time I can tune is before I start the run. After I start the run if I go back to the pause menu, I do see "Return to Pit Box" but it's locked. The only way I've been able to do it is to restart the session, make adjustments, then once out on the track if I need to make more adjustments then I have to do that process all over again. This doesn't seem right. So does anyone know how to tune and test without having to restart session?

You should be able to return to the pit box in the free practice mode and make changes there.
It does start you on cold tires out of the pits each time you reenter the track though.

I see the option for the pit box but it's locked
Which platform are you playing on?

On the PC version that button is not locked in Free Practice mode. It is locked in Time Trial mode.

When you start out are you leaving the pits or already on the track at the start?

It shouldn't be grayed out if you're in the correct area. I'm on PS4 and use the 'exit to pit' and then 'tuning' options without having to exit.

Which platform are you playing on?

On the PC version that button is not locked in Free Practice mode. It is locked in Time Trial mode.

When you start out are you leaving the pits or already on the track at the start?
PS4 and on track

PS4 and on track

If you are starting on track then sounds like you are either in solo race mode or time trial mode.
Free Practice always starts you off coming out of the Pits and will allow you to return to the pit box at any time after leaving it. While in the pit you can make changes. When you resume you will be exiting the pits again and again on cold tires. Takes at least 1 full lap to get some heat in the tires so that first lap is always a bit tricky.

So far, I am using the custom race mode:
- no opponent
- 10 lap race
- No Quali but a 15 minutes warm-up
- Sunny weather, day time (or rain at the level you want if you are doing a "wet" compatible tune).

The first time I enter, I have to set-up the race with those specifications but then, if I exit, I can relaunch in 2 clicks with the same config.

1/ When entering the event, I am in warm-up, I pause then "go to pits"
2/ Here, I can do my tune adjustments
3/ When it is done, I just click on "go to end of session" (warm-up in this case), and the race is automatically launched.
4/ Then the race start with tyres and breaks ready and at the same temperature every time I will repeat the process.
5/ I drive a few laps (or a few corners if adjustments are crap) and exit the race.
6/ I think to the needed changes
7/ I repeat the process from step 1/

I never drive in warm up as the tyros are cold, I only set a warm-up to be able to do the tune adjustments without having to go to the "My garage" section.

The time attack mode can be used to but It would not work for rain tunes unlike he above approach.

PS4 and on track

Ok It may be the track you are using. I just went into free practice on a club circuit track and apparently it has no pits so the option is locked. It also started me on track with warm tires rather than in the pits with cold tires as it does on other tracks.

Try a track where you know they actually have pits. I was on Road America in my previous testing and it always started in the pits with cold tires and I could pause and return to the pit box at any time but not on the track I am on now.

Another issue I've noticed aside from the topic. Every once in a while when I'm in the pit, make my adjustments and then try to get out on track, I stay stuck in the pit. The man stays standing and never gives me the go even when no other cars are leaving. I usually just pause the game, choose the edit tune again and then that'll let me get out. Anyone else experience this?

Another issue I've noticed aside from the topic. Every once in a while when I'm in the pit, make my adjustments and then try to get out on track, I stay stuck in the pit. The man stays standing and never gives me the go even when no other cars are leaving. I usually just pause the game, choose the edit tune again and then that'll let me get out. Anyone else experience this?
Yeah I have the same, pretty often actally. Its easily fixed though, just select retire to pitbox and select drive again.

What about tuning issues? I started off my career in karts. I entered my first invitational in the McLaren F1 3 hour race (though max real time is only 30 min) . I can tune my car during practice and the tune sticks,including the FFB settings. But any random time during qualifying my wheel loses FFB settings and car goes way out of tune. For example I'll have my rear camber set to -1.6 and next thing I know it's at - 3 causing me to spin when I come to hard braking.

S
What about tuning issues? I started off my career in karts. I entered my first invitational in the McLaren F1 3 hour race (though max real time is only 30 min) . I can tune my car during practice and the tune sticks,including the FFB settings. But any random time during qualifying my wheel loses FFB settings and car goes way out of tune. For example I'll have my rear camber set to -1.6 and next thing I know it's at - 3 causing me to spin when I come to hard braking.
sometimes when you enter the tuning options all settings are reset to default. I hope they fix this in the next patch..

Back