How Do Global Pandemics Change Anything?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 24 comments

Dotini

(Banned)
United States
Seattle
CR80_Shifty
We have noticed that viruses such as SARS, MERS, H1N1, etc have been in the (relatively distant) news for the last number of years. Finally the whole globe has been affected in a big way by the latest novelty in viruses. We are told that we must prepare for yet another epidemic of yet another new virus. Is this something new and different that has the potential to change anything significant about human life on Earth?

Suppose it's really true that we are in an Age of Virus epidemics much as once we were in an Industrial Age, Atomic Age or Information Technology Age. If so, what are the implications for the following:
- personal liberty and freedom
- globalization and open borders
- human rights
- income equality
- populism
- democracy
- authoritarianism
- climate change
- religious belief systems
- artificial intelligence
- exploration of the Moon and Mars
- mass gatherings for sporting events such as football and auto racing
- general standard of living
- what else?

We won't know fully until long after this is all over, which could be a few years.

The Spanish flu's lasting legacy was:

- By disproportionately affecting the Triple Alliance (mainly Germany and Austro-Hungary), it tipped the balance in the favour of the Triple Entente in the final months of WW1

- It consolidated women's desires to study nursing; the failure of containment was blamed on doctors, who were universally male at the time, whilst the palliative care of nurses was celebrated. Record numbers of women went to nursing schools during and after the pandemic.

It is also worth highlighting that media focus of the war during censorship of the pandemic, and continued coverage of the war after the war and censorship were over, contributed to less importance placed on flu deaths compared to war deaths and the pandemic fell from public consciousness fairly quickly.

I don't think that will happen this time. People are going to remember and know about covid for a long, long time.

I think it's a step too far to label 2020 the "pandemic age". We are still very much in the information age.

As far as I'm aware the name we give to eras of anthropological history are influenced by emergent technologies that altered the course and structure of human society at every level, hence Bronze age, Iron age, Industrial age.

Viral epidemics/spreads have occured on some level during every age of history so it seems a little ridiculous to say we've crossed some anthropological threshold here.

That said I think the long term effects will mostly manifest in the corporate/commuter side of things. This may cause us as societies to pause and consider the reasoning behind everyone commuting into population centers and stacking up in office buildings to do work that could be done from home.

My hope is that it may have a political effect, closing the wider and wider divide in people's politics by virtue of the fact we have been forced together against a common enemy of sorts; this might make people realise that those who don't necessarily agree with them politically aren't demon worshippers who want to summon the end times. International collaboration might even de-escalate more threatening political tensions.

If I could wish for any outcome - and I always want this, but feel it's unlikely still - is to drive huge investment into space programs worldwide and create a global effort to find humanity more homes out in the void, but that's just the starry eyed futurist in me talking.

I'd also be pretty happy if it stopped people buying giant SUVs somehow.

If it forces the Chinese, & other such cultures, to implement laws stopping the practice of stacking & packing loads of different species of live animals on top of each other in their infamous 'wet markets', which many experts believe is the cause of this new strain of Coronavirus, then that'd be a great start.

I think it's a step too far to label 2020 the "pandemic age".
20200327_062538.png

I'd hope for a more wide spread understanding of viruses and infectious disease. Maybe enough to knockout anti science like anti vax groups, though they don't seem to care for logic a lot of the time. Outside of that I agree with others that remote work might be more prevalent, but I'm not sure if it will become the norm.

The implication I'd like to see is for society (and capitalism) to place far greater value on those who do jobs that are at the heart of it all.

Nurses for example are disgustingly undervalued in the UK and yet here we are now praying that they can save us despite having voted for government that we knew would screw those same people over year after year.

My hope is that we reevaluate how work and education are actually done. All this is showing is that not everyone needs to be in one building to accomplish something depending on your job. Pretty much all office workers should be able to split their time going forward, which would greatly reduce the number of people driving. This would help the environment and air quality across the board. Also, it would cut down on disease transmission since we wouldn't all be huddled in a cubical farm 8-10 hours a day.

As for education, these new distant learning opportunities should get us thinking about how we can continue it. I think younger kids still need to be together to learn about social interactions, but once you reach high school, I see no reason why you shouldn't have the option to do distant learning. Some kids just don't thrive in a school environment. Plus, having kids learn from home would cut down on the amount of money needing to be spent on education, this would allow us to focus on improvements that would otherwise go unfunded, pay teacher more, etc.

The implication I'd like to see is for society (and capitalism) to place far greater value on those who do jobs that are at the heart of it all.

Nurses for example are disgustingly undervalued in the UK and yet here we are now praying that they can save us despite having voted for government that we knew would screw those same people over year after year.

Three (at least) ways that can happen.

1) A bunch of healthcare workers get sick and die, thereby creating demand (raising salary) for new hires.
2) Nobody wants to take the job because of how dangerous and thankless it appears to be, thereby creating demand (raising salary) for new hires.
3) Hospitals and governments (that run hospitals) staff up not to average loads, but peak loads, thereby creating demand (raising salary) for new hires.

Edit:

I see some big shoves into directions we were already headed. Away from crowded spaces like theaters and supermarkets, and toward a more isolated existence, where items are delivered and experiences are had at home.

This seems beneficial from an environmental perspective, but it's also presenting a mental health challenge. We've spent too long not thinking enough about how to create meaningful digital connections.

Edit 2:

We should probably do some kinds of opinions forum zoom chat at some point. I think this has been done in other areas of GTP.

I don’t know if this really fits in here, but with all the emphasis being put on using technology to replace human to human interaction, combined with the growth and evolution of certain technologies is quite worrying in my opinion.

We’ve seen Trump giving outdoor speeches from behind glass. Canadian PM Trudeau has been in self isolation for 16 days now, and has been advised to continue to self isolate. UK PM Johnson will now be going into isolation. Is this the new normal?

I don’t think there’s danger for some sort of sci-fi movie plot to happen overnight, I still believe Justin Trudeau is a real person. That said, our reliance on receiving information by screens (tv, phone, computer, etc) seems to only be increasing, and this pandemic will certainly push us in that direction.

I think we only have one to two generations before this kind of technology makes it extremely difficult to tell what/who is real. Thirty or forty years from now, will children who were just born today be more equipped to differentiate what is real and what is not, or will they be more susceptible to being duped?

Highly recommend Sam Harris's conversation with Matt Mullenweg about the implacations of the current crisis in the job market.

Very interesting ideas thrown around.

Edit:

I see some big shoves into directions we were already headed. Away from crowded spaces like theaters and supermarkets, and toward a more isolated existence, where items are delivered and experiences are had at home.

This seems beneficial from an environmental perspective, but it's also presenting a mental health challenge. We've spent too long not thinking enough about how to create meaningful digital connections.

I really hope that's not the case. I don't want going to the movies, going to concerts, sporting events, car racing, going to the beach, even family things like reunions and vacations to all be a thing of the past because we're so afraid to get within 6ft of each other.

The idea of the European Union is put increasingly at risk by the coronavirus crisis, it says here:
https://news.yahoo.com/epidemic-infects-europe-germ-division-133819804.html

EU states went to "every state for himself" policy because there is stark difference in strategies regarding virus spread, Schengen is practically over and can stay that way for years... but idea of one market is fine so some form of EU will survive.

Spain and Italy (or any EU state) can take back production of crucial items from China, because apparently making everything in China isn't the best idea and then bounce back economically.

I really hope that's not the case. I don't want going to the movies, going to concerts, sporting events, car racing, going to the beach, even family things like reunions and vacations to all be a thing of the past because we're so afraid to get within 6ft of each other.
I think we’ll eventually return to that to certain degrees, but there will be a cost.

- in order to be able to enter a movie theatre, would you tolerate having to take a mandatory yearly vaccine shot?

- in order to enter a stadium, would you tolerate having to go through a body scanner (not unlike security at an airport) that would scan your temperature and perhaps a few other vitals?

- would you accept having a chip implanted that would constantly monitor your health, but would give you unfettered access to public life?

I don’t think these are necessarily guaranteed to happen, and the last one is definitely stretching the idea, but I do believe this is the direction we are headed in.

I can't really say I expect this to happen, at least right now. The pandemic is an event that we can trace to an origin and its spread had a lot to do with the response once the virus was detected. People will be more wary about the spread of illness and probably react faster to a similar outbreak in the future but I don't think what has happened is enough to cause a shift in what people consider normal.

Three (at least) ways that can happen.

1) A bunch of healthcare workers get sick and die, thereby creating demand (raising salary) for new hires.
2) Nobody wants to take the job because of how dangerous and thankless it appears to be, thereby creating demand (raising salary) for new hires.
3) Hospitals and governments (that run hospitals) staff up not to average loads, but peak loads, thereby creating demand (raising salary) for new hires.
The UK NHS has over 100,000 open vacancies. 40,000 unfilled nursing positions for example and 10,000 open doctors positions so its not about supply and demand, it simply about the employer (in this case UK Gov) being unwilling to pay people what they are worth and accepting that reduced healthcare quality is an acceptable trade off.

I hope that covid-19 sees a huge shift in that attitude.

The UK NHS has over 100,000 open vacancies. 40,000 unfilled nursing positions for example and 10,000 open doctors positions so its not about supply and demand, it simply about the employer (in this case UK Gov) being unwilling to pay people what they are worth and accepting that reduced healthcare quality is an acceptable trade off.

I hope that covid-19 sees a huge shift in that attitude.

Government.

C19 is going to raise the price too.

Universities also need to look at how much they're charging for med school. The cost to become a doctor or PA is astronomical and takes a really long time. Nursing isn't much better, but you can get through the schooling in four years if you really push it. However, I know at the university I went to, if you get below a certain GPA in even one class you're removed from the nursing program and have to start over. That's a ton of pressure to put on someone and ends up causing shortages because students don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars just to get kicked out if they fail a history class.

Reduce the cost of training, make it more available to people who are capable of succeeding in the medical field, and you'll see a rise in the number of potential candidates for a job.

Famous genius elite statesman/adviser Henry Kissinger speaks to the topic,

The Coronavirus Pandemic Will Forever Alter the World Order
The U.S. must protect its citizens from disease while starting the urgent work of planning for a new epoch.

By
Henry A. Kissinger
April 3, 2020 6:30 pm ET
The surreal atmosphere of the Covid-19 pandemic calls to mind how I felt as a young man in the 84th Infantry Division during the Battle of the Bulge. Now, as in late 1944, there is a sense of inchoate danger, aimed not at any particular person, but striking randomly and with devastation. But there is an important difference between that faraway time and ours. American endurance then was fortified by an ultimate national purpose. Now, in a divided country, efficient and farsighted government is necessary to overcome obstacles unprecedented in magnitude and global scope. Sustaining the public trust is crucial to social solidarity, to the relation of societies with each other, and to international peace and stability.

Nations cohere and flourish on the belief that their institutions can foresee calamity, arrest its impact and restore stability. When the Covid-19 pandemic is over, many countries’ institutions will be perceived as having failed. Whether this judgment is objectively fair is irrelevant. The reality is the world will never be the same after the coronavirus. To argue now about the past only makes it harder to do what has to be done.

The coronavirus has struck with unprecedented scale and ferocity. Its spread is exponential: U.S. cases are doubling every fifth day. At this writing, there is no cure. Medical supplies are insufficient to cope with the widening waves of cases. Intensive-care units are on the verge, and beyond, of being overwhelmed. Testing is inadequate to the task of identifying the extent of infection, much less reversing its spread. A successful vaccine could be 12 to 18 months away.

The U.S. administration has done a solid job in avoiding immediate catastrophe. The ultimate test will be whether the virus’s spread can be arrested and then reversed in a manner and at a scale that maintains public confidence in Americans’ ability to govern themselves. The crisis effort, however vast and necessary, must not crowd out the urgent task of launching a parallel enterprise for the transition to the post-coronavirus order.

Leaders are dealing with the crisis on a largely national basis, but the virus’s society-dissolving effects do not recognize borders. While the assault on human health will—hopefully—be temporary, the political and economic upheaval it has unleashed could last for generations. No country, not even the U.S., can in a purely national effort overcome the virus. Addressing the necessities of the moment must ultimately be coupled with a global collaborative vision and program. If we cannot do both in tandem, we will face the worst of each.

Drawing lessons from the development of the Marshall Plan and the Manhattan Project, the U.S. is obliged to undertake a major effort in three domains. First, shore up global resilience to infectious disease. Triumphs of medical science like the polio vaccine and the eradication of smallpox, or the emerging statistical-technical marvel of medical diagnosis through artificial intelligence, have lulled us into a dangerous complacency. We need to develop new techniques and technologies for infection control and commensurate vaccines across large populations. Cities, states and regions must consistently prepare to protect their people from pandemics through stockpiling, cooperative planning and exploration at the frontiers of science.

Second, strive to heal the wounds to the world economy. Global leaders have learned important lessons from the 2008 financial crisis. The current economic crisis is more complex: The contraction unleashed by the coronavirus is, in its speed and global scale, unlike anything ever known in history. And necessary public-health measures such as social distancing and closing schools and businesses are contributing to the economic pain. Programs should also seek to ameliorate the effects of impending chaos on the world’s most vulnerable populations.

Third, safeguard the principles of the liberal world order. The founding legend of modern government is a walled city protected by powerful rulers, sometimes despotic, other times benevolent, yet always strong enough to protect the people from an external enemy. Enlightenment thinkers reframed this concept, arguing that the purpose of the legitimate state is to provide for the fundamental needs of the people: security, order, economic well-being, and justice. Individuals cannot secure these things on their own. The pandemic has prompted an anachronism, a revival of the walled city in an age when prosperity depends on global trade and movement of people.

The world’s democracies need to defend and sustain their Enlightenment values. A global retreat from balancing power with legitimacy will cause the social contract to disintegrate both domestically and internationally. Yet this millennial issue of legitimacy and power cannot be settled simultaneously with the effort to overcome the Covid-19 plague. Restraint is necessary on all sides—in both domestic politics and international diplomacy. Priorities must be established.

We went on from the Battle of the Bulge into a world of growing prosperity and enhanced human dignity. Now, we live an epochal period. The historic challenge for leaders is to manage the crisis while building the future. Failure could set the world on fire.

Mr. Kissinger served as secretary of state and national security adviser in the Nixon and Ford administrations.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-coronavirus-pandemic-will-forever-alter-the-world-order-11585953005

China making "laws". Ya, that will work out for all of about a few months then they'll start ignoring it, or lying and saying they're enforcing it.

The coronavirus pandemic has precipitated a political crisis and a clear threat to democracy.

BRUSSELS - France and Bolivia have postponed elections. Peru handed its president broad new legislative authority. Israel sharply ramped up the reach of its surveillance state.

While leaders around the world fight the spread of the coronavirus, they're amassing sweeping new powers. As legislatures limit or suspend activities in the name of social distancing, many of the norms that define democracy - elections, deliberation and debate, checks and balances - have been put on indefinite hold.

The speed and breadth of the transformation is unsettling political scientists, government watchdogs and rights groups. Many concede that emergency declarations and streamlining government decision-making are necessary responses to a global health threat. But they question how readily leaders will give up the powers they've accrued when the coronavirus eventually subsides.

"This is a situation where it's far too easy to make arguments for undue interference with civil rights and liberties," said Tomas Valasek, a Slovak lawmaker.

The country that has attracted the most notice for a lurch away from democratic reforms is Hungary, which last month handed Prime Minister Viktor Orban near-dictatorial powers. Orban was already facing the prospect of sanctions from the European Union over concerns that he had packed courts with loyalists, closed down opposition media outlets and changed the country's constitution to ensure that he remains in power. The new measure gives him authority to legislate by decree, free from parliamentary oversight, for as long as he deems necessary to fight the coronavirus, and it imposes steep penalties for spreading "false information" - a step critics fear will be used to further impede the opposition.

But even countries with robust traditions of freedom and dissent have imposed measures nearly overnight that under other circumstances would look more familiar in an authoritarian state. In Belgium, authorities have requisitioned cellphone companies' location tracking data to make sure people are not straying too far from home. Police checkpoints on major streets monitor what the phone companies miss.

"It doesn't just take the despots and the illiberals of this world, like Orban, to wreak damage," said Valasek, who has been involved in negotiating Slovakia's pandemic response. "We need to make sure that we don't go a single inch further than absolutely necessary in curtailing civil liberties in the name of fighting for public health."

Past moments of extreme anxiety have given rise to measures that long outlived the crisis they were imposed to address. After the assassination of President Anwar Sadat in 1981, for example, Egyptians lived 31 more years under a state of emergency that granted the government sweeping security powers.

The state of emergency declared in France after terrorist attacks in November 2015 remained in place for two years - and was ended only after many of the surveillance powers it enabled were made permanent.

And in the United States, the 9/11 attacks led to emergency measures that persist to this day. The detention center in Guantánamo Bay is still open. Targeted drone killings continue. Under the Patriot Act, mass surveillance is still possible.

"September 11th is the appropriate analogy," said Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch. "We had a fearful public that was willing to countenance a government that was taking steps that undermined civil rights and were difficult to reverse over a long time.

"I fear that we're entering a parallel period."

Pandemics present unique challenges to societies that depend on the free movement of people and information. Tracking contagion requires wide surveillance. Social distancing means parliaments cannot meet to vote. Protests can't take over public squares. Campaigning and even elections come into question.

Many leaders have now seized broad powers to place their citizens under surveillance. In Israel, the cabinet bypassed parliament to approve an emergency measure that allows the government to use the cellphone location data of suspected coronavirus patients to make sure they adhere to quarantine rules and to notify people with whom they may have been in contact. In South Korea, a raucous democracy, extensive contact tracing previously used mostly as a counterterrorism technique helped authorities reconstruct webs of people who might have been exposed to the coronavirus and quickly clamp down on its spread.

Lawmakers say the right balance between public safety and privacy is hard to find.

"There is a tendency for governments to say that it's really, really important in the fight against the virus that we have all that personal data, and that privacy is not all that important," said Sophie in 't Veld, a Dutch member of the European Parliament who has worked on privacy legislation. "And that's where we need to be very careful."

Nor does the threat from the coronavirus appear likely to wane any time soon. Even after societies get through the first wave, they will remain vulnerable until a vaccine is developed - which many scientists believe could take at least 18 months. The longer the crisis continues, rights groups say, the greater the risk that temporary powers will become permanent.

Douglas Rutzen, president of the Washington-based International Center for Not-for-Profit Law, said covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, "is not only a public health crisis - it is also a political crisis."

"Governments around the world are assembling emergency powers that they will be reluctant to relinquish, and over time emergency powers seep into the fabric of society," he said. "You see this throughout history."

Adding to the challenge, many legislatures have trimmed their schedules or stopped meeting altogether to avoid large gatherings and unnecessary travel. In Belgium, many decisions are being made by party leaders, not by full votes in parliament. Spanish lawmakers have postponed all non-pandemic business. The European Parliament is conducting most of its business via video link.

The result is less scrutiny over potentially epoch-shaping policy decisions, many taken in a rush by leaders with a less-than-clear picture of the economic and epidemiological threat that face them.

"The moment a government takes such drastic measures, especially in fast ways, in covid-19, it is extremely difficult to take the horse back by the reins," said Sergio Carrera, who tracks rule-of-law issues at the Brussels-based Center for European Policy Studies.

Daniel Ziblatt, co-author of "How Democracies Die," says the most crucial test facing democracies during the pandemic might be elections.

"I'm concerned," Ziblatt said. "You could imagine a situation where the number of people allowed in a polling station is reduced, increasing lines, and this will all be in the hands of state officials who could use it as a way to suppress turnout. That seems totally plausible and that would be an example of democracy taking a hit."

The challenge has historical precedent. With the United States in the full grip of an influenza epidemic, candidates in the 1918 midterm elections limited public appearances in favor of campaigning by news release and the U.S. mail. "Spanish influenza swept the West as the campaigns were opening and many candidates were unable to make a speech," The Washington Post reported that November.

The election was held as scheduled, but those who voted did so at their own risk - and at immense cost.

"Every time they opened the polls, a lot more people died afterward," said Kristin Watkins, an administrator at Pikes Peak Community College in Colorado who has a doctorate in the history of infectious diseases and public health. "Democracy held up, though it was wobbly. But upon the back of democracy came the lives of thousands of people. So the question becomes, 'Was it worth it?' "

Governments around the world have been struggling with that question. In Poland, President Andrzej Duda wants to proceed with elections scheduled for May 10. Critics say it's because his opponents will be unable to campaign, improving his chances.

More than a dozen U.S. states have delayed their primaries. Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, sought to delay his state's vote Tuesday, but Republican lawmakers filed a legal challenge and the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that he could not. The vote proceeded with voters in lines standing six feet apart and poll workers handing out masks.

The danger, analysts say, is particularly acute in countries where democracy is already vulnerable.

Bolivia has been run since November by Jeanine Áñez, a former second vice president of the Senate who declared herself president after longtime leader Evo Morales fled the country. After saying that her only priority would be to establish free and fair elections to choose a successor to Morales, she has spent her months in office dismantling the socialist state he built. Now electoral officials say elections that were scheduled for May must be pushed back, extending her interim rule.

In Chile, protests that started in the fall against cost-of-living pressures, unevenly distributed growth and persistent inequality led to clashes with security forces that left dozens dead and thousands injured. President Sebastián Piñera, seeking to calm the unrest, agreed to hold a referendum on whether to rewrite the country's Pinochet-era constitution. But restrictions on public gatherings have now ended the weekly protests, and officials have postponed the vote to October.

"It becomes easy to say you can criminalize protests because they're a public health threat," said Kenneth Roberts, a political scientist who studies Latin American democracy at Cornell University. "Even when social distancing is being done in response to a public health emergency, it creates a social dynamic that is tailor-made for the autocrats who want to use this crisis as a pretext to concentrate their own powers."

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ne...-new-powers-to-fight-coronavirus-15195776.php

The pandemic is threatening chaos with internal divisions in both the US and Europe, according to this opinion piece.

(Bloomberg Opinion) -- Crises tend to widen fault lines that already exist. The Covid-19 pandemic has been no exception. Before the virus hit, the unbalanced nature of recent economic growth was already straining federal structures around the world, from the U.S. to India to Europe. The current crisis threatens to open new disagreements and deepen old ones — and transform some political entities beyond recognition.

This isn’t just a question of how central governments should distribute revenues and aid, although in most cases that’s the matter at hand. When Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell suggested that he’d rather see “blue states” go bankrupt than have the federal government bail them out, he wasn’t making only a crass political calculation. He legitimately didn’t want states to receive aid if he felt they had overspent on, say, pensions.

He raises a fair point: How, in this crisis, should the federal government fairly deal with states that hold completely different visions of what government is and what it should do? Why should states that are so allergic to government that they would reject even Medicare expansion funds agree to finance states that have readily taken on debt to pay pensions?

Of course, there’s an easy retort to that argument, summarized by the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Preet Bharara: Many of those populous and economically vibrant “blue” states are already providing more than their share of federal revenues. “I, too, am sick and tired of subsidizing Kentucky,” Bharara said, referring to McConnell’s home state.

The irony is that, across the world, it is these wealthier, more globalized parts of federal systems that have been hit hardest and earliest by the pandemic. The virus travelled across the world in airliners and cruise ships, carried by tourists and traders. Rich northern Italy, not the southern provinces that it has long subsidized, became the grim example of how deadly the new coronavirus could be. New York is the epicenter of the virus in the U.S., not deep-red states such as Kentucky.

A lack of solidarity at moments like this will be remembered. The European Union will at some point have to deal with its failure to support Italy when that country was at its most vulnerable. Whatever deal the EU’s leaders finally cut, the fact is that when northern Italy’s health system was overloaded, no trains of medical supplies and doctors crossed the Alps to help. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has admitted, “too many were not there … when Italy needed.” That failure will cost the taxpayers of northern Europe – and it should. If money isn’t a cure for hurt feelings, big intra-regional transfers are therapeutic at least.

To some economists, that’s all that a federal structure really is — an excuse for such fiscal transfers. Countries that are unable to agree on how much to send and where are facing another form of fiscal paralysis. In India, for instance, state governments are responsible for healthcare and face straitened budgets as a result. Yet not only does the federal government seem unconcerned, it has absurdly banned liquor sales for the duration of the lockdown, even though taxes on alcohol are one of the few ways left for India’s state governments to raise money.

As a result, monetary authorities everywhere are once again having to hold things together. The U.S. Federal Reserve has promised to expand its municipal lending program. The European Central Bank is underwriting the euro area’s governments while its politicians remain divided. The Reserve Bank of India has raised the cap on short-term advances to India’s state governments.

The populists and budding authoritarians that have sprung up everywhere see this crisis as an opportunity to expand their authority; they are unlikely to recognize how strained federalism is becoming. It’s not just the U.S., where President Donald Trump has tried to turn residents of certain states against their own governors. In India, the ministry of home affairs – run by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s No. 2 – has begun sending out “investigation teams” to harass states run by the opposition, such as West Bengal.

This is neither moral nor wise. It could force states and regions to discover that they have common interests – and that the federal government doesn’t share them. Already, in the U.S., three groups of governors have emerged – in the West, Midwest and East – declaring they will coordinate pandemic policy within each region. The governor of Minnesota compared the approach to “a loose Articles of Confederation.”

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-straining-concept-federalism-000036415.html

Back