how do i find out the weight distribution of a car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BMWrules
  • 19 comments
  • 10,071 views
Messages
5
i've read a lot tuning guides and they talk about the weight distribution but how do i find out the weight distribution of a car? its not shown anywhere in the game. i know bmw's in real world have 50:50 and thats about all i know.
 
You adjust whatever weight balance a car is at naturally by adding or shifting ballast.
To the left, the slider shifts weight to the front.

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
well, that didn't really answer his question.
Now the bad news. It's not in the game. The only way to find this data is in real life :-(
 
CRXnut
well, that didn't really answer his question.
Now the bad news. It's not in the game. The only way to find this data is in real life :-(
Indeed. It's a shame really. It could really help us to get the best balance for the car if we actually knew what weight distribution it had already.
 
I actually find it quite hypocritical. They give you the ability to change the weight balance without knowing WHAT you the actual balance is. It's extremely redundant to have to try the setting out every time to see if it's more or less at 50/50.

This NEEDS to be in the next version of GT.
 
CRXnut
well, that didn't really answer his question.
Now the bad news. It's not in the game. The only way to find this data is in real life :-(
Actually, I did, only indirectly, just he directly answered his own question. :sly:

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
Telling someone how to adjust the weight balance does not tell them how to find out what the weight balance is, directly or indirectly.:dunce:

Some suspension tuners round here suggest that the spring rates (in the race suspension set-up window) give an indication of the weight distribution. Thus if a car's default set-up has spring rates of 4.5 front and 5.5 rear then weight distribution would be 45% front and 55% rear, but I don't know if this has any basis in fact.
 
It's a crying shame that weight distributions wasn't included in GT4, but you can always look it up online. Just go to the manufacturers website, the weight dist. should be listed under the cars complete specs. You can always use Forza to look up many of the cars in GT4, exact models that is.
 
Well, if the car has stiffer springs on one side, that does give a general sense of what the weight balance might be. Unfortunately, some cars have spring rates that defy common sense... like the Impreza, which has stiffer rear springs?
 
BMWrules
i've read a lot tuning guides and they talk about the weight distribution but how do i find out the weight distribution of a car? its not shown anywhere in the game.
Use equal front/rear value for all suspension and make the car sideways. heavier part slide more, roll more.
 
FastEddie12
Some suspension tuners round here suggest that the spring rates (in the race suspension set-up window) give an indication of the weight distribution. Thus if a car's default set-up has spring rates of 4.5 front and 5.5 rear then weight distribution would be 45% front and 55% rear, but I don't know if this has any basis in fact.

I guess some race cars have 110% front and 100% rear.....:dopey:
 
To be direct:
There is no way to tell the weight distribution. :(

To be theoretical:
In gt there is no way to tell and anything is possible since they have not included weight balance since GT1. :ouch:

To be honest:
A car's balance is hard to tell and usually it can't be judged unless you have very specific info.
For example- BMW.
In real life they claim a 50/50 balance on the 3 series (of the last gen).
Truth be told, the 3 couldn't have the same balance on all models and therefore it is impossible to say "the 3 has 50/50" since some have extra weight from more engine displacement or extra weight from a semi-auto transmission.

Bottom line:
Don't worry too much about the weight balance.
First concern yourself with getting the car to drive well using the suspension settings, then if you feel good about tuning go into brake balance and limited slip differential tuning.

If you master all of those I doubt you will need the weight ballast but none the less, you will probably be able to use it to your advantage.

:D
 
As I am one who has written quite a bit about static weight distribution and its use in tuning in my tuning guides I will share my arcane secret about discovering the values for cars.

But you all have to promise to keep it a secret, because if it got out who knows what could happen.


Listen carefully, its GOOGLE


Come on guys just head to google and search on the cars make and model (+ year is required) and add 'weight distribution' to the search terms.

Never failed me yet.

As Kent has said don't get to fixated by the exact percentage, a general guide is fine, for example assuming a rough 50:50 for most BMWs.


Regards

Scaff
 
PERFECT BALANCE
I guess some race cars have 110% front and 100% rear.....:dopey:

:rolleyes: I used an example with simple numbers so I wouldn't have to get my calculator out. Obviously I failed to account for simple readers.:)

Actually I think that theory of mine is junk now 'cos I've just noticed that the Renault Alpine has spring rates of 8.0/4.0 F/R which by my theory would mean a weight distribution of 66% front and 33% rear. Hmmmm

Why the H have they put the stiffer springs on the lighter end of the car???? Surely they'd need the stiffer springs at the back to cope with the extra weight....
 
thx for the replies guys. i was awared that the data were available for most of the cars online but i wasn't sure that this was the way we were supposed to do it. doesnt sound too convenient.
 
Scaff
As I am one who has written quite a bit about static weight distribution and its use in tuning in my tuning guides I will share my arcane secret about discovering the values for cars.

But you all have to promise to keep it a secret, because if it got out who knows what could happen.


Listen carefully, its GOOGLE


Come on guys just head to google and search on the cars make and model (+ year is required) and add 'weight distribution' to the search terms.

Never failed me yet.

...and if someone doesn't find what they're looking for with Google, there's always http://www.carfolio.com/ and http://www.supercars.net/

Carfolio is pretty reliable and seems to be working on including every car ever made. :D

Supercars.net sometimes has info and/or cars that Carfolio doesn't have, but focuses on performance-oriented cars and isn't always reliable.
 
Wolfe2x7
Carfolio is pretty reliable and seems to be working on including every car ever made. :D
If that is the case, then they need to devote a bit more time to Chrysler's many cars that are still missing.

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
MasterGT
If that is the case, then they need to devote a bit more time to Chrysler's many cars that are still missing.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Yep -- american cars aren't really their forte yet, seeing as how the website is British, but I don't think they're limiting their scope to cars that are only available in the UK...only time will tell, I suppose.

It's still a good source for anything European and many things Japanese.
 
Does adjusting the slider left / right without adding any ballast adjust the cars balance?
I think it may have a slight effect. I did some test runs in a stock MR2. Moving the slider to the left "seemed" to reduce by a small margin the inherit tail out nature of the car. But if you do not add ballast how does this work?
What do you guys reckon?
 
Have tried it and have not seen any difference. Might be "placebo" effect. I've heard the rumor before, but after trying full 50 to one side and full 50 to the other, I have seen no effect.

As a side note, on spring tuning vis a vis weight balance, I've double checked some cars, and spring tuning seems to merely approximate quoted weight balance.

For example, the SRT4 is supposed to have a 65:35 weight balance, yet spring balance has 60% of the heft over the front. The Focus RS is supposed to have a 55:45 weight balance, but the spring balance has 55% over the front. This is calculated as front / front+rear with default settings on semi-racing or racing springs. Calculating with either gives results that are consistent. I'm sure someone could come up with a more scientific calculation, though.

Maybe it takes into account the weight of fuel? I'm going to check some more. In any case, the discrepancy is very small... thus, if you're ballasting a car and want to maintain stock handling characteristics, match the balance shown by the springs.
 
Back