How do I get the Civic Type R (EK) '98?

• Thread starter vuduthmb
  • 17 comments
United States
San Francisco Bay area
It has not been in the used cars for sale or the new cars for the last two days. I can not race in the Suzuka Circuit without a Gr. 3 car, which costs about twice as many credits as I have. I have completed about half of the license tests. What am I doing wrong? I've read that the game is grindy, am I being too impatient?
Input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

It has not been in the used cars for sale or the new cars for the last two days. I can not race in the Suzuka Circuit without a Gr. 3 car, which costs about twice as many credits as I have. I have completed about half of the license tests. What am I doing wrong? I've read that the game is grindy, am I being too impatient?
Thank you.
The Civic type R '98 was just sold out in the Used Car Dealership a couple days ago.

Just do what everyone else does and throw a brick through the window, open door, and hotwire it.
alonzo-mourning.gif

Thank you.
1. Yeah, it cycles through the UCD, once the UCD starts cycling. If you have not completed the Menu Books, the UCD does not cycle like normal.
2. I do not understand how your inability to purchase a sub-500pp road car has to do with your ability to compete in a Group 3 race at Suzuka.

1. Yeah, it cycles through the UCD, once the UCD starts cycling. If you have not completed the Menu Books, the UCD does not cycle like normal.
2. I do not understand how your inability to purchase a sub-500pp road car has to do with your ability to compete in a Group 3 race at Suzuka.
Yea this bit confused me as well!

Yea this bit confused me as well!
Yap, that guy surely can throw a curveball!

Thank you.
That car is surely a car you don't have to buy. That's probably what you are doing wrong: you are buying your way through the menus, instead of winning the cars at races.
You just need to win the 450pp FF challenge at Suzuka to win the Civic in Menu 5. In Menu 4 obviously you didn't win it, so you either won the Honda Integra DC2 or the Suzuki Swift Sport, which are pretty much the cars to use in the 450pp FF challenge races in Menu 5. If you won the Integra is pretty straight forward, the Suzuki never paid to much attention to it, not sure how fast it is compared to , but at least with some hp beef should be capable to win you the Integra at High Speed Ring and then go with the Integra to Suzuka and win the Civic, finishing the Menu.

You really don't need to buy many cars in the hours of gameplay to come (helps to get the National B bronze licence to get the Renault Clio RS220 to the french and european hatch races Menus 7 and 11), except the very first car in the game (Toyota Aqua, Mazda Demio or Honda Fit), you just need to go through the menus finishing top 3 in the races/championships and use the prize cars.

Also you don't really need to even race the Suzuka gr.3 race to complete anything except 100% completion of the game, I believe, so don't bother for now. And you only be able to go to Sport Mode after menu 9, also you can rent (free of charge) the cars needed to race there, so no bother on grinding for now.

2. I do not understand how your inability to purchase a sub-500pp road car has to do with your ability to compete in a Group 3 race

Yap, that guy surely can throw a curveball!

That car is surely a car you don't have to buy. That's probably what you are doing wrong: you are buying your way through the menus, instead of winning the cars at races.
You just need to win the 450pp FF challenge at Suzuka to win the Civic in Menu 5. In Menu 4 obviously you didn't win it, so you either won the Honda Integra DC2 or the Suzuki Swift Sport, which are pretty much the cars to use in the 450pp FF challenge races in Menu 5. If you won the Integra is pretty straight forward, the Suzuki never paid to much attention to it, not sure how fast it is compared to , but at least with some hp beef should be capable to win you the Integra at High Speed Ring and then go with the Integra to Suzuka and win the Civic, finishing the Menu.

You really don't need to buy many cars in the hours of gameplay to come (helps to get the National B bronze licence to get the Renault Clio RS220 to the french and european hatch races Menus 7 and 11), except the very first car in the game (Toyota Aqua, Mazda Demio or Honda Fit), you just need to go through the menus finishing top 3 in the races/championships and use the prize cars.

Also you don't really need to even race the Suzuka gr.3 race to complete anything except 100% completion of the game, I believe, so don't bother for now. And you only be able to go to Sport Mode after menu 9, also you can rent (free of charge) the cars needed to race there, so no bother on grinding for now.
Sorry if I'm being dense, but a few things confuse me. Menu book 5 says I can obtain the Civic Type R (EK) '98 by competing in the Suzuka Circuit, and the recommended car is the Swift Sport '07. The Swift Sport '07 is not a GR. 3 car, which is necessary to enter this race. So, why is it recommended? I will eventually grind enough credits to buy a Gr. 3 car, I am just surprised that it takes so long. And why does the menu hint recommend a car that is not Gr. 3 for this race? I must be missing something...
Anyway, thanks for the input.

"You just need to win the 450pp FF challenge at Suzuka to win the Civic in Menu 5." When I go to the Suzuka race, it says PP750, not PP 450. What's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I'm being dense, but a few things confuse me. Menu book 5 says I can obtain the Civic Type R (EK) '98 by competing in the Suzuka Circuit, and the recommended car is the Swift Sport '07. The Swift Sport '07 is not a GR. 3 car, which is necessary to enter this race. So, why is it recommended? I will eventually grind enough credits to buy a Gr. 3 car, I am just surprised that it takes so long. And why does the menu hint recommend a car that is not Gr. 3 for this race? I must be missing something...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/already-stuck-in-menu-book-5.405108/

Try looking here.

Menu book 5 is for Japanese FF cars not Gr.3!! I think you are getting seriously confused!! Can you share a screenshot of your Home Screen and the world circuit map for Asia?? I’m suspecting that you’ve not started the menu book so are a little lost at the moment!!

Edit: here is a description from Gamespot how to complete Menu book 5 -

Menu Book 5: Japanese FF Sports Cars

Acquire three cars: Suzuki Swift Sport '17, Honda Civic Type R '98, Honda Integra Type R '98.

Corresponding series: Japanese FF Challenge 450, no PP limit, FF road cars from Japan, 1st place reward of 7,000cr per race.

High Speed Ring, 2 laps, Honda Integra Type R '98 prize.

Suzuka Circuit East, 3 laps, Honda Civic Type R '98 prize.

Tsukaba Circuit, 2 laps, Suzuki Swift Sport '17 prize.

Now you can win all three possible cars from the HSR championship, perhaps by using the one you won, though you have several eligible cars at this point. From here on out, if there's a number attached to the series name, that's the suggested PP level. Suzuka and Tsukaba are tricky, but you're still driving slow, easy to handle cars.

Your reward is just a 1 star roulette ticket, but the next menu book is a short one.

And the link in case you get stuck again - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps5/292800-gran-turismo-7/faqs/79895/gt-cafe-menu-book-1-13

Last edited:

"You just need to win the 450pp FF challenge at Suzuka to win the Civic in Menu 5." When I go to the Suzuka race, it says PP750, not PP 450. What's going on?
You need to click "start" in the Menu Book and then follow the gold compass icon to the events you need to do to complete the book.

Menu Book 5 is "Japanese FF Sports Cars". No Gr.3 is front-wheel drive, so this cannot be a Gr.3 event. The Menu Book actually consists of three events, all at 450PP and for FF vehicles, at High Speed Ring, Suzuka, and Tsukuba.

If you're not following the gold compass icon, you won't be going to the right events. If you don't have a gold compass icon, you haven't actually started the Menu Book yet.

You need to click "start" in the Menu Book and then follow the gold compass icon to the events you need to do to complete the book.

Menu Book 5 is "Japanese FF Sports Cars". No Gr.3 is front-wheel drive, so this cannot be a Gr.3 event. The Menu Book actually consists of three events, all at 450PP and for FF vehicles, at High Speed Ring, Suzuka, and Tsukuba.

If you're not following the gold compass icon, you won't be going to the right events. If you don't have a gold compass icon, you haven't actually started the Menu Book yet.

I had this same question about the same car! And did not know about this Gold Compass business. Thanks!!

OK - still stuck and confused chasing that damn Honda. When I pick Suzuka it shows “Available Event Races” as GT Cup Gr. 3” - nothing else - and can’t find and gold compasses or yellow brick roads to show me to enlightenment. Guess I’ll keep fumbling. I’m ready to give up on this and go back to the previous GT version where I have a load of credits and life is more predictable….

OK - still stuck and confused chasing that damn Honda. When I pick Suzuka it shows “Available Event Races” as GT Cup Gr. 3” - nothing else - and can’t find and gold compasses or yellow brick roads to show me to enlightenment. Guess I’ll keep fumbling. I’m ready to give up on this and go back to the previous GT version where I have a load of credits and life is more predictable….
If you don't have a gold compass icon, you haven't actually started the Menu Book yet.
You need to go into GT Cafe, select Menu Book 5, and actually click "Start" on it to start the Menu. The three races will then show up with the gold compass on them - along with the "Menu Book 5: "Japanese FF Sports Cars" note in the top-left corner of the screen.

Finally wound up buying it - $53k for a POS! 😡. And I AM seeming those blasted yellow compasses now…

Last edited:
Back