How do the auto gears compare to the realthing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter keitshi
  • 5 comments
  • 422 views
Messages
271
I've done a search on this... lotsa topics on gears, but none seemed to ansver my question :confused:

Has any one driven a car with auto gears? At least what I've heard the auto gears work differently in a normal car. Something like when you slam the gas the engine rews up fist and then releases the clutch to get optimal acceleration. That doesn't happen in gt3. :trouble: And what about the engine reving up on high performance cars and the gears not shifting? (It's allways annoying :mad:, but I like racing autos.) :D

Do you think the auto gears in gt3 emulate a real gearbox? Or are they just made for the game? :confused:
btw I'm not an expert on this, so I dont know if I'm asking a stoopid question.
 
I've never driven auto transmission in GT3, but in a real car they do not work like you describe.

The automatic transmission does not have a clutch the same way as a manul transmission does. Instead it has a device that allows it to slip at low engine speed, but provide good torque transfer at high engine speed, and when cruising, modern auto transmissions lock up to prevent any slipping except during shifts.

The transmission begins to accelerate the car as soon as you press teh gas pedal. If you are accelerating from a stop it will shift up through the gears. Under normal circumstances it will stay in the highest gear unti afterl you stop again, when it will shift down to the lowest gear. Between times, if you make a heavy demand for throttle, it may downshift one or more gears until you are going fast enough to back off the throttle. Usually the auto transmission will upshift at lower RPMs, but if throttle use is heavy it will stay in lower gears until near redline.
 
the auto tranny in GT3 isnt really like how it works in real life...they pretty much allow you to shift in the game by working the brakes. essentially, you can make your car downshift on GT3 by gettin on the brakes hard, then releasing them (if u slow down to the right speed).
 
Thanks for the info neon duke :D that explained pretty much how it works. Every day I learn something new. I'm still wondering about the engine over reving in gt3 with autos, I can't think of a purpose to that.
 
Originally posted by Jahmic
the auto tranny in GT3 isnt really like how it works in real life...they pretty much allow you to shift in the game by working the brakes. essentially, you can make your car downshift on GT3 by gettin on the brakes hard, then releasing them (if u slow down to the right speed).

They are ,I think, more or less determined by the speed of the car, not like actual ones which try to interpret the drivers intentions.
 
Well... when i ride in my family's acura el 1.6, my sis rams the gas
the auto doesn't kick in.. she also got scared alot so she let go
as soon as she did, i heard the engine shift
now we can drive our car like its manual, cuz we can control when it shifts.. heeh
 
Back