How do you change the resolution (PS4 Pro)

Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
I can't find the option in the game to choose if I want to run the game on 1080p. Do i have to change it in the PS4 system menu?

I have a 4k tv and after playing the game for a while, i want to change it to 1080p to see how it runs and looks. They said that in 1080p, the game have better anti aliasing, draw distance, etc.. And i want to compare.

On your console itself.

from main PS4 menu Go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings.
Set Resolution to 1080p not automatic.

On your console itself.

from main PS4 menu Go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings.
Set Resolution to 1080p not automatic.
That's what i was afraid. So I have to change that setting in the PS4 menu everytime i want to play ACC, if i end liking 1080p more. That's going to be annoying.

You also need to make sure the system isnt set to use supersampling in 1080p mode to make sure youre getting the full fat 1080p experience

I tried this today and didn’t like it, think it looks better at the higher resolution. I didn’t note any benefit to dropping to 1080.

You also need to make sure the system isnt set to use supersampling in 1080p mode to make sure youre getting the full fat 1080p experience
Yes. I checked the supersampling option and it says the supersampling mode cannot be used with the tv you're using. So, its off. I think that option can only be turn on for tv's with 2k resolution or lower. You cannot use supersampling on a 4ktv, even if you put it on 1080p. Well, at least with my 4ktv i cannot use it. I don't know about other tv's.

You can’t choose resolutions in game. If you only have a 1080p tv with the pro then you will get the better anti aliasing etc. If you have a 4k tv it will run at 1800p.

If you change the resolution in the ps menu there are no performance benefits. Super sampling only works on 1080p TVs

You can’t choose resolutions in game. If you only have a 1080p tv with the pro then you will get the better anti aliasing etc. If you have a 4k tv it will run at 1800p.

If you change the resolution in the ps menu there are no performance benefits. Super sampling only works on 1080p TVs

Can you provide any proof of this?

From what I can read from Kunos statements, the improvements such as anti-aliasing, draw line, etc are only available in 1080 mode, and that 4K mode would not have these benefits.

I'm trying to confirm one way or the other.

Can you provide any proof of this?

From what I can read from Kunos statements, the improvements such as anti-aliasing, draw line, etc are only available in 1080 mode, and that 4K mode would not have these benefits.

I'm trying to confirm one way or the other.

The proof is that there is no option in the game to change resolution nor did they say that you can change the resolution in the article. You interpreted it wrong as I did when I first read it. You’re already getting those benefits since you are already playing in 1800p mode.

If you’re using an enhanced console with a 1080p tv the console has more power to make the game look better only with a 1080p tv.

After doing some test, i think this seems to be the case.

I changed the resolution to 1080p on the PS4 system settings and just like "Sneek" said, I also didn't notice any difference. Except looking a little more blurry than when played at 1800p. Which is to be expected because is a lower resolution. I didn't notice any benefits like more anti aliasing or more draw distance.

This makes me believe that if you have a 4k TV, is not posible to get the benefits of running the game in 1080p. Even if you force it by changing the resolution on the PS4 settings. By forcing 1080p, you just get the expected blurred visuals with no extra benefits. Which is very lame if you ask me and they should fix it. They should add the option in game to select which resolution you want and get the extra benefits if you choose 1080p.

I changed the resolution to 1080p on the PS4 system settings and just like "Sneek" said, I also didn't notice any difference. Except looking a little more blurry than when played at 1800p. Which is to be expected because is a lower resolution. I didn't notice any benefits like more anti aliasing or more draw distance.

This makes me believe that if you have a 4k TV, is not posible to get the benefits of running the game in 1080p. Even if you force it by changing the resolution on the PS4 settings. By forcing 1080p, you just get the expected blurred visuals with no extra benefits. Which is very lame if you ask me and they should fix it. They should add the option in game to select which resolution you want and get the extra benefits if you choose 1080p.

Yeah no benefit if you change resolution through the ps menu I’ve read about this with other games it’s the exact same performance. They should let us choose 1080p 60fps but I highly doubt they will.

I agree the option should be in game.

For me it seems slightly better when my ps4 pro is set to 1080p output resolution and the fan spins up less.

I don't know though really which is why I just suggest people try it. If they don't like it go back to Automatic.

From my observations in 1080P mode even with a 4K TV you get reduced LOD shifts and shadow popup is far less noticeable. The overall image quality however is a soft blurry mess.

Yeah no benefit if you change resolution through the ps menu I’ve read about this with other games it’s the exact same performance. They should let us choose 1080p 60fps but I highly doubt they will.

Actually that is not 100% true. Some games do run better when the console is set to 1080p which is why Sony put that tip in the super sampling screen stating "some games run at a higher frame rate"

The Last Guardian is a noted example that does this. Its been tested and it renders at a lower resolution and runs smoother when your pro is set to 1080p output even if using a 4k TV.

Actually that is not 100% true. Some games do run better when the console is set to 1080p which is why Sony put that tip in the super sampling screen stating "some games run at a higher frame rate"

The Last Guardian is a noted example that does this. Its been tested and it renders at a lower resolution and runs smoother when your pro is set to 1080p output even if using a 4k TV.

No, it only runs smoother when super sampling mode is selected. It’s not possible to select super sampling on a 4k tv

Yeh the crew 2 runs better if you force 1080p on a 4k tv after they messed it up in a patch even though they fixed it in the next patch and it ran smooth again(mostly) if you keep to 1080p though I gained 4+ sec in the timed summit races and the events are so close you cant afford to throw away that amount of time.

The proof is that there is no option in the game to change resolution nor did they say that you can change the resolution in the article. You interpreted it wrong as I did when I first read it. You’re already getting those benefits since you are already playing in 1800p mode.

If you’re using an enhanced console with a 1080p tv the console has more power to make the game look better only with a 1080p tv.

I had to read their statement five times to finally see how they mean what you're describing. What a horrible way of describing the improvement.

I believe we're getting those benefits also in 4K. Those benefits are for comparison against the PS4 non-Pro. PS4 Pro will have those benefits in 1080p and 4K.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it only runs smoother when super sampling mode is selected. It’s not possible to select super sampling on a 4k tv

Seriously, look it up man. Digital Foundry did articals on it. Has nothing to do with super sampling.

Super sampling is not frame rates...

By smooth I mean frame rate smooth like not stuttering.

Super sampling does not make things smoother (well it makes jaggies, smoother I suppose!). It is just a way of adding in a form of anti-aliasing.

On your 4k TV are all hdmi inputs 4k ?
On my Sony TV only 2 out of 4 Hdmi inputs are capable of 4k so in theory if you connect your ps4 to a hdmi slot that doesn't support 4k you should be able to run it in 1080p witj superssampling off as I'd of thought the ps4 will recognise the TV as not 4k.

Pro and X seem to be capped at 32fps regardless.

Yes capped, but doesn't the frame rate fluctuate during gameplay?

I compared both just now and it seems to be that 1080 holds a higher frame rate during gameplay than 4K, making me prefer to play in 1080 mode. Does anyone else notice this as well?

On your 4k TV are all hdmi inputs 4k ?
On my Sony TV only 2 out of 4 Hdmi inputs are capable of 4k so in theory if you connect your ps4 to a hdmi slot that doesn't support 4k you should be able to run it in 1080p witj superssampling off as I'd of thought the ps4 will recognise the TV as not 4k.
Yes. All HDMI inputs on my 4KTV are 4K and only input one support HDR. But having HDR or not doesn't matter because that doesn't have anything to do with performance. And this game doesn't even support HDR.

I compared both just now and it seems to be that 1080 holds a higher frame rate during gameplay than 4K, making me prefer to play in 1080 mode. Does anyone else notice this as well?
I did tested it on 1080p but I found it difficult to see if there was an improvement on the framerate. Maybe it depends on the track. I tested it using the Monza track and couldn't see a difference. But maybe on other tracks could be an improvement. I dont know.

I felt the framerate and stutter were about the same.

Yes. All HDMI inputs on my 4KTV are 4K and only input one support HDR. But having HDR or not doesn't matter because that doesn't have anything to do with performance. And this game doesn't even support HDR.

Yes I think that's the same on mine , I'm confusing hdr with 4k sorry

Back