How do you drift a decreasing-radius corner?

• Thread starter raceur
  • 6 comments
Title says it all really...I can get the car sideways and hold it for a constant radius. But for a decreasing radius, say the first two turns at the Suzuka East course I find it difficult to get the car around the tighter corner in a WRX. I'm trying extra power and turning in further...any tips?

Umm - I hold the handbrake and keep the angle while slowing down before putting more power, letting a bit of oppo lock go and hold again. 👍

At least thats what I think I do.

The first two turns at Suzaka East in the WRX are a blast --- but if you don't hit the turn perfectly, you'll hit the sand and lose it. What I do is try to be at about 105mph (on the first turn), feint, and hit the inside apex of the right turn in with my right front tire, letting the left tire brush the grass on the left side a little bit. Then just hold it at about 1/2 throttle and you'll slide back and through it. You'll back tires will hit the sand on the other side a little bit but if you did it right, you won't go all the way off and hold the drift. It took alot of practice for me but now I can hit that first turn about 4000 points each time with the WRX.

Good luck!

Take Bearcut's advice. I normally clip the apex & brake all the way through the beginning of the 2nd turn, if I go too fast in the 1st turn. But if you see yourself in a situation where your going to land on the grass from the right side going into the 2nd turn, e-brake.

Try practicing with left footed braking, holding on the ol ebrake and maintaining your angle can also do the trick, or you can just try to hit a very late apex. Depending on how your car is setup you might be able to just lift off, downshift and go for it.

Back