How do you drive

  • Thread starter Thread starter iScoRcHv
  • 17 comments
  • 1,108 views
Messages
57
Messages
iScoRcHv
Im sorry if there's already a thread about this topic but I was wondering, how do you guys drive. Do you use analog sticks on a basic ps3 controller, a steering wheel or something else ? And if you do use a wheel, does it make that much of a difference in terms of lap times.

I know this sounds daft but personally I use the d-pad buttons on the controller since I'm so used to it from previous games.
 
I know this sounds daft but personally I use the d-pad buttons on the controller since I'm so used to it from previous games.

Me too :D, never got used to those analog sticks (yes, the irony of my username isn't lost on me), using the D-pad directional buttons to steer is a dying skill I suppose but I'll be using it forever I'm afraid.
 
I recently received a wheel. It hasn't made me noticeably faster, but it has made me more precise. Really, the pedals have helped the most. Throttle control out of the corners does help with lap times.
 
I too was like you, a controller player since GT1. I bought a wheel about two months ago and it made GT an all new game for me. It totally wiped the dust off the game. I would say yes, I am faster, and more precise, and it is so much more fun. Driving Force GT, mounted on 29" saw horse with a poplar inclined triangle that made to mount the pedals on. It took about an hour to get used to and eventually you will be anticipating your cars inertial changes ahead of time, just like in a real car.
 
analog
Me too :D, never got used to those analog sticks (yes, the irony of my username isn't lost on me), using the D-pad directional buttons to steer is a dying skill I suppose but I'll be using it forever I'm afraid.

Agreed. Playing this game for 15 years with d pads... I just participated in a tuning shootout as a tester and my laps were consistently 1.5-2 secs slower that the guys that were using a wheel.
 
i use sticks for both steering and throttle/brake, whereas my brother uses x and square for accel brake and stick for steering. i use the d pad for the RA functions.
 
still on my Thrustmaster Ferrari 3in1. Only about 90 degrees turns so it sucks for drifting or cars that slide a lot.
 
Steering wheel here (only a Thrustmaster 3-in-1though). I haven't used a pad on GT5 but I really sucked at the older games with one so I'd probably be just as crap with a pad on GT5.
 
DS3 analog sticks. I have a G25 wheel but sadly the dining room table is the only one in the house tall enough to mount it on so I can't use it with my PS3. :(
 
I used to use the dpad for old ps2 nascar games, but since I started playing shooters for ps3 (that utilize the stick fror walking), i just started drifting just 2 days ago with the stick because there is more of a variable on how far you push the stick as opposed to how long you push the dpad. But either way I race with the dfgt
 
analog
Me too :D, never got used to those analog sticks (yes, the irony of my username isn't lost on me), using the D-pad directional buttons to steer is a dying skill I suppose but I'll be using it forever I'm afraid.

Used to drive like that too before i got my dfgt. Everybody i know thought i was mad haha. Really loved to drive like that. However dfgt is better.
 
Was using DS3 on GT5 for about 6 months, then I got my G27 and I will never return back to controller on racing games, ever ;)

I think the G27 and wheels in general is quicker and more comfortable to race with and makes the games more enjoyable.
 
Im sorry if there's already a thread about this topic but I was wondering, how do you guys drive. Do you use analog sticks on a basic ps3 controller, a steering wheel or something else ? And if you do use a wheel, does it make that much of a difference in terms of lap times.

I know this sounds daft but personally I use the d-pad buttons on the controller since I'm so used to it from previous games.

Most time the DS3
steering with analog,
L2 break, R2 gas.

or

the good old DFGT :)

i got some probs with countersteering, but few days ago i finished 24H leman A-spec... yeah i think i learned a bit about countersteering with wheel.

on DS3 countersteering is much easier :P
 
Bought a DFGT wheel a few months before GT5 came out, got used to it on F1 2010 which had just come out. I bought because I wanted to see if it would make me any better, and I have to say it certainly has...

I'm pretty useless with a gamepad nowadays, just doesn't feel right...
 
What? No poll?

Anyways, I use the sticks as well, although I find it hard to control braking :dunce:
 
I use the DS3 but have never used a wheel for GT5. I was thinking about buying one for a new experience however I had to buy a new bike and...blah blah blah.
One day I will use a wheel for GT5! :dopey:
 
I use the DS3 with my own setup. L2/R2 are brake and gas. X for e-brake, square and circle for shifting.
It's kind of like Forza 3's setup(I think, unless I changed that too, I don't remember). I find it pretty easy that way. I hated using X/square or the right analog for acceleration and braking.
 
Back