How do you get the flip for the Final Gear right? HELP

• Thread starter MazGaming
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
MazGaming
Hi
Just a quick question on any drag car how do you get the final gear? I know hardly know how to tune a car but my final gear sucks. Can someone please explain to me how to set a final gear and how it works. I know you have to put it to around 3.250 or 3.500 but you can't tell someone the final gear right? You need to explain how it works then obviously you have to put top speed down then 1st-5thor6thor7th tune them then put the final gear down.

I was working on the Skyline r34 and i was messing around with the flip then set all my gears once i took it on the track when i put it in 1st gear and revved it HARD the car and let e-brake off the revs just went down so much and lost allot of power then it took me around 3seconds to get it on second gear thats bad right please HELP!!

If you are trying to set every cars final between 3.250 - 3.500 that is your first problem.

Choosing a final gear depends on a lot of things.

1. Does the car have a lot of horsepower or not that much
2. What RPMs is max horsepower made - Mid range or High end
3. Does the car have a lot of torque or not that much
4. What RPMs is max torque made
5. How heavy is the car
6. Is it AWD/FF/MR/RR/FR
7. What is the minimum speed on the slider
8. What is the minimum final gear
9. Am I aiming for a 1st gear rideout, 1-2 Quickshift, 2nd gear rideout, 2-3 quickshift or even a 1-2-3 quickshift.

Some cars are flipped successfully at a minimum final on minimum speed slider (Low torque AWD making max power/torque in the high RPM range).

Some cars are flipped successfully at a close to maximum final on minimum speed slider (High torque RWD Muscle making max torque/power in the middle RPM range).

I highly recommend you read this page here - Multiple times if you have to.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/1-4-mile-transmission-guide-for-dummies-illustrated.294981/

I know how to tune but i know i can do alot better tuning them. I am weak on some cars but others im excellent. Everyone has a weak point as you will yourself.

Okay so what does the flip normally do?So the flip need to be down not as much right

You should be reading everything written on that link I posted and testing it out rather than asking more questions.

Be willing to learn how to tune and realise it takes trial and error. Have fun with creating your own setup rather than being handed one.

It's trial and error. Since I had such experience in gt5 tuning, I can typically simply look at the power, weight, and power band of a car and guess where I need to flip on my first try. I almost never get it wrong, sometimes a slight adjustment is in order as I'll cross 50-100 rpm off what I want but that's about it usually. It's something you'll learn and will eventually become habit. Almost, second nature if you will.

Okay so what does the flip normally do?So the flip need to be down not as much right

Maz i already explained this at length and in detail to you in a private PM. Please read this very carefully and and do the same for the guidance everyone else has given you here. If you still do not understand then please read Master shakes transmission guide for dummies. Now listen very carefully.

Maz its like this. Look at the cars RPM for example 8,000 rpm where it makes max power. Secondly always shift it at that 8,000 rpm. Find a final gear number to use for your flip. Final gear should always be taken to the lowest number i.e 3.000, 2.500 or 2.000 once you set the max speed slider to the lowest number.

Thirdly don't set 2,3,4,5. Just set 1st as long as possible for example all way left and 6th gear as close as possible for example all way right. Do a run and shift @ 8,000 rpm. If you are redlining at 8,000 rpm in 6th gear by the time you hit the shadow, then your flip as levitt said is in the right range for that given car.

If the car reaches max speed too soon a car or more before your front wheels even hit the shadow, then flip higher or stretch 6th gear a little bit to make 6th longer so it pulls and doesn't top out @ the shadow. If you top out to soon your flipped too low so try a higher final gear number but try .050 click numbers higher each time. So try a higher flip .050- .100 higher. If your flip too high, you car won't be in the right rpm for example the 8,000 rev range as your crossing the line.

Then its down to fine tuning the rest of the gears for closer shifting. Usually your initial gears need to be longer and final gears need to be closer or shorter. 123 gears adjust for longer gearing and 456 closer gearing.

As everyone said. It's trial and error. Different cars need different final gear flip ranges. And they all have different shift points where they make their max power. Another sign of knowing you are flipped to low can be when your 1st gear is all way left and your car bogs bad. As you said it doesn't shoot of the line and car revs die. This is an indicator your flipped to high.

However some lower powered cars with a respectable flip don't like launching in very low revs because they can't handle a very long 1st gear as it puts too much strain on them. So they need very close or very short 1st gears which isn't achievable with a decently high flip. To correct these kinds of cars you need to put their 1st gear in an area that is in higher rpms in order for them to launch.

An example car is a low bhp 4WD car under 500 bhp usually have have these problems with launching at low rpms. Even on a low flip. So you have to put their 1st gear into a higher rev range by making the 1st gear shorter i.e taking the 1st gear right to make it closer. As you adjust 1st though, you make changes to the rpms the car hits in every other gear. And so starts the process of fine tuning 2,3,4,5 gears by making them longer or closer.

Last edited:
Thank you Wraith also, How do you get a Quick shift transmission as i want to QS at the start then want it to Pull any Idea?

Don't forget to use a Manual transmission so you can shift the gears yourself. For example to quick shift 123 your 3rd will need to be closer to 2nd and 2nd closer to 1st. This is a process of tweaking the gears independently of each other. Same principle applies. You take the gears to the right side to make them closer to the gear before them.

There are a lot of light high powered cars that don't need close gears to be able to 123 or 23 or 234 even at high flips. Some cars like the speed 12 for instance you can set 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear all the way left thereby making them as long as possible and you are still able to 123 quick shift them or 234.

However every car is different. It is down to you to tune the cars on every car to your preferred preference. Cars like ZR1, Vipers, Ford GT are best 23 quick shift. Like i said above if the car won't quick shift 12, 123, 23, 234. Then move the gears closer to each other. 4th closer to 3rd, 3rd closer to 2nd, 2nd closer to 1st. Test the car and keep tuning and changing the gears by a few clicks at a time. It's trial and error Maz.

Time for my noob moment.

This is what kills me about trying to figure out other drive trains.
I know there is not a list of x-car is a 123 QS or y-car is a 234 QS.

If you are using a 234 QS for example, doesn't it kinda end up being a 3 speed trans with 2 gears to launch?
I get the whole principle of 6th is the optimal gear to cross the line, it just make no sense bypassing almost the first 3 gears. Oddly enough when I try to use all 6+ gears I'll just say the launch sucks.

I'll give a example of my experience with the DC5.
You can run 12 or 123 QS trans. I personally feel that the 12 QS gives a better launch then the 123 due to less spin during the QS's.

Then lets not get started on cars with ballast needed.

I guess I have hindered myself with my closed mind to Hondas, I just feel like its to damn many cars to remember...:boggled: I will be off till net Saturday(I get off around 2pm est) so I will finally end my fears of being annihilated and finally learn something.

Back