How do you implement the gear trick properly?

United States
United States
I have an understanding of the concept, but I seem to be running into an issue for a specific scenario.

I want to replicate the gear settings for this RX7 A-spec LM as seen in this video, but when I try to do close gears, I'm getting different results:

The example gears

The gear trick I try to use to make close gears

I don't have the exact numbers for my gears, but the first gear usually can't go above 3800, and none of the other gears come close to the correct ratio (5-7k vs the low numbers seen here)

Edit: I was able to replicate the gears on a different, clean save, and I don't know what caused this, honestly.

Last edited:
In that example you posted, it seems like they set the final gear to 4.750 before setting auto setup to 1 (I found this through trial and error, trying various final gears until it gave me the same ratios as theirs). Not sure why they did this, the RX-7's 1st gear has tons of wheelspin like this due to the shorter final gear being used. I guess they made the gearbox just short enough so the car would have barely enough top speed on High Speed Ring? There isn't much benefit to this IMO.

As well, the gear trick is only half of the magic, the main thing it does is reset the ratio ranges so the gears can be closer together. You need to arrange the gears in a close pattern as well to fully reap the benefits. The RX-7 A-spec LM has a narrow power power band between 6500 and 8000 RPM, so you want to keep it in that range as often as possible. After moving the final gear to 5.500, then setting auto setup to 1, then moving the final gear back to 2.500, setting the individual gears to 3.085, 2.500, 2.030, 1.645, 1.349 and 1.140 should do the job.

For anyone wandering in who wants more clarity, here's an explanation I gave on another thread:
Basically, the auto setup slider changes the gear ratio ranges whenever you move it. Lower auto setup values will give closer gears, while higher ones will make the gears wider. For the smallest RPM drop between shifts, you want to set it to 1. However, as [4WD's] need a fast 1st gear for a powerful launch, setting it to 1 will hinder the car's top speed. Setting it to 6 gave the best balance of close gears and top speed from my testing. The gear arrangement (1st gear all the way left, 4th gear all the way right, then all other gears spaced out in between) is mainly to bring the gears as close as the ranges will allow.

The final gear is set to 5.500 before using auto setup, as the game uses whatever the final gear is currently set to while determining the ratio ranges. Setting it to its highest setting, then lowering it again after using auto setup, gives you the most freedom, as you can fine-tune the final gear so the car has both a fast launch and enough top speed.

In that example you posted, it seems like they set the final gear to 4.750 before setting auto setup to 1 (I found this through trial and error, trying various final gears until it gave me the same ratios as theirs). Not sure why they did this, the RX-7's 1st gear has tons of wheelspin like this due to the shorter final gear being used. I guess they made the gearbox just short enough so the car would have barely enough top speed on High Speed Ring? There isn't much benefit to this IMO.

As well, the gear trick is only half of the magic, the main thing it does is reset the ratio ranges so the gears can be closer together. You need to arrange the gears in a close pattern as well to fully reap the benefits. The RX-7 A-spec LM has a narrow power power band between 6500 and 8000 RPM, so you want to keep it in that range as often as possible. After moving the final gear to 5.500, then setting auto setup to 1, then moving the final gear back to 2.500, setting the individual gears to 3.085, 2.500, 2.030, 1.645, 1.349 and 1.140 should do the job.

For anyone wandering in who wants more clarity, here's an explanation I gave on another thread:
Would this also work for the other two RX-7 LM's? I'd assume the GT-C would have a different powerband, but the RX-7 you earn from the league feels super similar.

The regular RX-7 LM is lighter and more powerful than the A-spec, so you're going to be dealing with more wheelspin when launching and exiting corners. What you can do with it instead is, push 2nd gear all the way left also, make 3rd through 6th close instead, then avoid using 1st gear. Setting the gears to 3.129, 2.317, 1.950, 1.630, 1.368, 1.155 worked for me; the car had a smooth launch in 2nd gear, with tiny RPM drops afterwards. Same idea for the GT-C: 3.251, 2.408, 2.015, 1.690, 1.422, 1.195.

Back