How do you play? -Not the same question!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dkstz
  • 23 comments
  • 1,160 views
Messages
414
Brazil
São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Messages
arten_v
Hi, I've been wondering how do you guys press the buttons in the joypad. I've only recently acquired my PS2 and lately, when I did the El Capitan endurance and the All Japan Championship (one sit each), my finger started to ache. :ouch: Around two/two and half hours each.
I press the X button with the hard part of it, the "bone" part. A friend of mine use the tip of the finger, the "soft" part. I know this sounds stupid :dunce: , but I just HAD to ask...

And you guys use the default configuration or do you change buttons to accel/brake/shift gears??

Thanks...
 
When I used the buttons I had my thumb positioned so that the tip of the thumb was on the square button and the joint was on the cross button. The result of long playing sessions was a thumb with a bright red first joint. :D

I have moved to analog sticks since, much less painful.
 
I use the standard configuration for buttons, and use the left analog stick for steering and the buttons for acceleration and brake.

For both I use the tip of my thumb - I used to get a sore pad as I used the meaty part, but since switching to the tip (can't remember how long ago) I've had no problems. :)
 
Much like Greycap, used thumb over brake (square) and gas (X) which would after 4-6 hours make my thumb numb. Have now gone to using the analog sticks which is more responsive (no longer having 100% gas nor 100% brake)
 
I always use the bony part right on the joint. It can get painful if you play too long, but it's just what I'm used to.
 
I use the tip and rarely have any problems. And with enough practice you can get really precise throttle control with the buttons :)
 
I use standard configuration and use the tip of my thumb for racing.
 
Thirdeye
I always use the bony part right on the joint. It can get painful if you play too long, but it's just what I'm used to.

Same here. Over time, i've grown a nice lil calius on my thumb where the button always sits. Not as painful now as it was back in the day.
 
...I just B-Spec long races. Quite painless in the thumb department, that is. XD
 
I use the left joystick for steering. I use the joint on my thumb for gas and the tip for the brake. Best part is I can adjust the throttle using the X button the same as if I was using the stick. Same with the brake.

I used to play Socom 2 for 8-10 hours on weekends and would end up with sore hands and index fingers from holding the controller extremelly tight and shooting so often.
 
When I play I usualy use the bone part one the x button,and I use bothe d-pad and analog for steering.But when my thumb gets tired Ill use d-pad for accelerating long sraights.
 
I bought my PS2 for two games GTA:SA and GT4. After GTA my thumb was far too sore to fully enjoy GT. :(

I mostly watch B-spec Bob drive around. That helps me learn the courses / driving lines. (Not to mention all the cars and money he has contributed.) Occasionally I will race but not too much until the pain eases up. If it is too much for you give that a try or get a driving wheel like someone else mentioned. Mine is on the way. :)
 
The analogs are more responsive, and a little weird at first, but they're way easier on thumbs than the dpad & buttons.
 
I thought it would be funny to upload pictures of this.

First heres the one of "how I play the throttle".


Heres what it does to the thumb after all those years of playing like this:
 
I use the tip of the thumb for brake and gas.
Steering left stick.
Can't get the hang of using the right stick for brake and gas.
 
Uncle Harry
I use the tip of the thumb for brake and gas.
Steering left stick.
Can't get the hang of using the right stick for brake and gas.
Then set the brake for the L1 button and use the right stick for the gas only.
Of course that is only good if you don't drive manual trans.
 
i use both analog sticks because my thumbs will hurt
 
I use the D-pad and the buttons and i have really good throttle control.
 
Just a thought on this thread and the other thread about "How you use your DS2". The buttons are pressure sensitive so if you've got practice with it you can be quite accurate. Most of the time when I brake(using square) its only about 50% or else ill just lock em up. And also with the throttle(using x) you can go 75% to avoid wheel spin on acceleration. So the buttons arent always pressed at 100%.
 
At the moment, I use the sticks with little to now pain on the longer races taking say 1-2hours, longer races I B-Spec, always used manual too to keep my index fingers busy and avoid cramp in my hands. When I used the buttons I used them like many others, joint for acceleration and tip for break.

Had a couple of steering wheels before but they've usually been god aweful in the steering sensetivity, so I stick to the sticks
 
Back