How do you use the brakes in GT7

Scotland
Scotland
Do you use abs and just slam L2 right to the limit or do you not use ABS and brake progressively until just before losing traction?
I use the second method and I feel it gives better braking distances but have never actually tested it. Has anyone actually tested this or what do you think is the best method?
I’ve played a lot of Forza Motorsport and can’t wait for a new one. It definitely gives you better braking distances there so I would like to know what your opinions are on it. Getting to the stage with GT7 that I’m trying to shave off every tenth as I’ve done all the races. Still to do circuit experience but am still loving Racing, especially the new Spa race. GT 500 cars are amazing there with the downforce.

One does not exclude the other.

You can also use ABS and still only apply sooo much/little braking force so that the ABS does not work. If you play like this, you always have good brakes AND have a parachute!

Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
The anti-lock braking system (ABS) is a safety system designed to prevent the wheels from locking when braking. This ensures that the vehicle remains steerable and controllable, even when braking harder. The way ABS works is relatively simple. If even one wheel loses its traction when braking or starts to slip, the ABS intervenes automatically and brakes at short intervals from then on. This prevents the wheels from locking and thus also prevents the vehicle from drifting or skidding. Depending on the ABS system, there are between eight and ten braking intervals per second.

Incidentally, ABS does not shorten the braking distance, as many drivers assume. If you look closely, the short braking intervals can even increase the braking distance. This applies in particular to braking maneuvers on loose ground such as sand, gravel or snow. However, more and more vehicles are now being equipped with the so-called ABS plus, an improved ABS system that can ensure short braking distances even on loose ground.

The ABS is of great importance because it significantly increases road safety. Human sensitivity is not sufficient to detect the behavior of the wheels when braking. In the case of heavy braking manoeuvres, in particular, drivers are unable to dose the braking force precisely. And it is precisely at this point that the ABS intervenes: It ensures that vehicles do not swerve even when braking hard, and therefore remain controllable for the driver.

Accordingly, it is not very surprising that most vehicles today have ABS. Due to an EU directive, all new vehicles with a permissible total weight of less than 2.5 tons have been equipped with ABS as standard since 2004.

The anti-lock braking system was invented in 1920. At that time, aeronautical engineers were working on mechanical braking systems that were supposed to improve the landing gear properties of airplanes during landings. The knowledge gained at that time later flowed into automotive engineering. The first vehicles to feature ABS appeared on the market in the 1960s. Electronic ABS was introduced in 1978 and was only available for luxury vehicles in the years that followed.

Last edited:
One does not exclude the other.

You can also use ABS and still only apply sooo much/little braking force so that the ABS does not work. If you play like this, you always have good brakes AND have a parachute!
Yeah, absolutely. I leave the ABS on, but try not to lean too heavily on it. With the DualSense in particular, it's quite easy to feel when it's starting to kick in and just ease back very slightly to give the tyres full grip and get max deceleration.

Yeah, absolutely. I leave the ABS on, but try not to lean too heavily on it. With the DualSense in particular, it's quite easy to feel when it's starting to kick in and just ease back very slightly to give the tyres full grip and get max deceleration.
I wish so much my T-LCM could give me the feedback of your DualSense!

I wish so much my T-LCM could give me the feedback of your DualSense!
I have a G29, but have been using DualSense instead because the level of detail is so much finer. Would love to get the full range DualSense feedback through wheels and pedals - I can only imagine what such a system would cost!

Do you use abs and just slam L2 right to the limit or do you not use ABS and brake progressively until just before losing traction?
I use the second method and I feel it gives better braking distances but have never actually tested it. Has anyone actually tested this or what do you think is the best method?
I’ve played a lot of Forza Motorsport and can’t wait for a new one. It definitely gives you better braking distances there so I would like to know what your opinions are on it. Getting to the stage with GT7 that I’m trying to shave off every tenth as I’ve done all the races. Still to do circuit experience but am still loving Racing, especially the new Spa race. GT 500 cars are amazing there with the downforce.

I've felt that minimising traction control, and removing ABS, gives me the best braking distance.

Having said that - I feel it depends on the car.

High-powered FR cars such as the Viper, DB11, etc. I am more comfortable with ABS on, and traction control at 1 - but that's me. I don't really have the dexterity, skill, or soft touch to gently accelerate out of a corner without spinning the car.

Last edited:
One neat detail is too ease of the brakes at the end... This doesn't upset the car as much compared to when you let go the brakes suddenly, and makes turn in (corner entry) pretty smooth.

Some cars really benefit from this trick, while others not as much...

If he is playing in a PS5, R2-L2 have haptic feedback, so he can have feedback on wheel spinning or blocking that pedals on a wheel don't.
I know this Feature from PS5 DualSense... i hope some Manufacturer brings out pedals that bring something like this to the market at an affordable price.

If he is playing in a PS5, R2-L2 have haptic feedback, so he can have feedback on wheel spinning or blocking that pedals on a wheel don't.
The haptics absolutely suck though.

I usually have the ABS set to weak as most of the cars I use in game have ABS in real life.

Depends on the car - some need some trail braking to get them to the apex, others need a crisp lift off the brakes co-inciding with when you start to turn in. Cars running downforce generally allow you to smash the brake pedal as hard as possible, and then as the speed and downforce bleed off you then have to modulate the brakes to avoid locking. For cars without downforce, go and look up the "friction circle" or "traction circle" theory to get an idea of what you should be doing.

The ABS in GT is, like the TCS, a pretty dumb approximation of a roadgoing car system and not at all like the fairly brutal racing systems fitted to GT3 cars, so should be turned off if you can manage to be consistent without it.

What's the feeling on your finger when ABS works?

I think someone would have to do a proper scientific test for us to know for sure, but I would be surprised if threshold braking were any faster than just slamming the abs at 100%. Of course there are times when you want to brake more lightly and then there's trail braking obviously, but if we're talking straight line maximum braking, I've seen plenty of alien lap replays and as far as I remember it's always just 100% brakes.

Threshold braking irl is faster in lots of situations of course, I just don't think the ABS in GT is sophisticated enough to take that into account.

What's the feeling on your finger when ABS works?
The pressure increases with travel and then you can feel it start to pulse as the ABS kicks in. There's a change to the trigger feel when the wheels lock too, but it's all very subtle.

ABS in this game looks like it just threshold brakes for you, there's no indication it works like a real ABS, on flatter tracks I find no difference between ABS weak or off, and on bumpier tracks ABS weak seems to be faster, there's also no sound or feeling of the wheels locking and unlocking at all, this all falls inline with ABS in this game being auto threshold.
In Forza ABS is slower because it actually simulates ABS in the way it functions IRL and it kicks in as soon as the wheels start to lock, you can feel it, hear it, and see it on tyre marks.

Just increase the tire noise a lot and then do brake tests..... If it squeaks, it's worse than if it doesn't squeak...AND the moment it squeaks, ABS works and the braking distance increases.
Sorry who always says painfully that it is soooo bad, should at least make the effort to have tested it really meticulously. The same applies to TCS, but that's also why people talk against walls here anyway.

Once again!!!

A professional driver who manages to drive several laps (10+) in a row on a track like LeMans or even the Nürburgring with a time difference of 0.5 to 1 second between the slowest and fastest lap is definitely faster without TCS because he has the skills , what is necessary to be fast and to be able to do it again and again... In the long term, everyone else is exposed to the great danger of having a mistake that probably would not have happened with TCS AND costs more time than it did not bring to use.

BUT if you do (dayli) qualifying and it's all about the one perfect, fastest possible lap, then yes, I can always recommend trying at least without TCS.

ABS is even more critical than TCS because it can save the lap with every braking. You can definitely get better results WITHOUT ABS in the rain or on gravel, but you can also make more serious mistakes.

If there is a risk of losing the race because of deactivated ABS or TCS or other assistants.... then every player should use what he wants to have the success he wants and can achieve.

Just increase the tire noise a lot and then do brake tests..... If it squeaks, it's worse than if it doesn't squeak...AND the moment it squeaks, ABS works and the braking distance increases.
Sorry who always says painfully that it is soooo bad, should at least make the effort to have tested it really meticulously. The same applies to TCS, but that's also why people talk against walls here anyway.

Once again!!!

A professional driver who manages to drive several laps (10+) in a row on a track like LeMans or even the Nürburgring with a time difference of 0.5 to 1 second between the slowest and fastest lap is definitely faster without TCS because he has the skills , what is necessary to be fast and to be able to do it again and again... In the long term, everyone else is exposed to the great danger of having a mistake that probably would not have happened with TCS AND costs more time than it did not bring to use.

BUT if you do (dayli) qualifying and it's all about the one perfect, fastest possible lap, then yes, I can always recommend trying at least without TCS.

ABS is even more critical than TCS because it can save the lap with every braking. You can definitely get better results WITHOUT ABS in the rain or on gravel, but you can also make more serious mistakes.

If there is a risk of losing the race because of deactivated ABS or TCS or other assistants.... then every player should use what he wants to have the success he wants and can achieve.
Yeah I battled with no TCS up until a couple of weeks ago. Put my ego aside and started using tcs1 and I'm much more consistent now. Plus not as frustrating and therefore more enjoyable as I don't lose control so often.

Did try new subaru race car earlier in the week and turned it off as felt like it stuck to the track anyway.

B80
Yeah I battled with no TCS up until a couple of weeks ago. Put my ego aside and started using tcs1 and I'm much more consistent now. Plus not as frustrating and therefore more enjoyable as I don't lose control so often.

Did try new subaru race car earlier in the week and turned it off as felt like it stuck to the track anyway.
I, too, try my best to not use TC... but sometimes with some cars I will put it on 1. What I did in a couple of the Daily races last week at RBR, was leave it off the whole lap except T1. I think it was the Viper that I did that, but T1 being so bumpy it's really easy to lose the car. So I'd flip it to 1, and once I was thru T1 I wold turn it back off. Worked out really well.

So just throwing it out there, doesn't have to be binary. You can turn it on only as required and where required.

I, too, try my best to not use TC... but sometimes with some cars I will put it on 1. What I did in a couple of the Daily races last week at RBR, was leave it off the whole lap except T1. I think it was the Viper that I did that, but T1 being so bumpy it's really easy to lose the car. So I'd flip it to 1, and once I was thru T1 I wold turn it back off. Worked out really well.

So just throwing it out there, doesn't have to be binary. You can turn it on only as required and where required.
Yeah one of my friends who is pretty experienced rapid does that. Toggles various levels of TCS throughout the lap, depending on corners.

Just bought GT7 this past weekend. I'm gonna read through this thread properly when I have time. But I've noticed the car's handling under braking is dramatically different in this game compared to GT Sport. I can manage ok on most tracks but on the banked corners on the oval/speedway circuits it's nearly impossible for me to brake without spinning out.

Just bought GT7 this past weekend. I'm gonna read through this thread properly when I have time. But I've noticed the car's handling under braking is dramatically different in this game compared to GT Sport. I can manage ok on most tracks but on the banked corners on the oval/speedway circuits it's nearly impossible for me to brake without spinning out.
Yeah, you have to be pretty delicate with it. If you're overloading the front tyres as you brake from high speed and they're glowing red on the display, try shifting brake balance rearwards a bit.

Latest Posts

Back