How does the campaign work?

Netherlands
Netherlands
ChromeBallz
MChrome
I'm not finding a lot of info on the specifics of the campaign and how the progression works.

Something which greatly turned me off in FM6/FH3 was the insane amount of free handouts and gambling (spins/mods). It didn't feel much like progression if you got a Veyron as your first prize or get to drive various lambo's and ferrari's before having even started your first race.

The incredibly short and throwaway races without any real cohesion (even in FM6's concept) was also a big downer, as was the frankly stupid mechanic where the only way to progress was to finish in the top 3.

1) Are the free handouts in the campaign still a thing? Or is there some actual difficult progression there with no gifts at every turn?

2) Are races more consistent and cohesive? Are championships a thing now, where there's a point total over a season rather than a flat requirement of finishing 3rd or higher in every single race?

If anyone can give me some further description of how the campaign works, i would be grateful. My gold standard for racing game campaigns (from what i've played) is shared between GT4 and Grid (the first one), and i'm hoping FM7 can at least get close to those.

I'm not finding a lot of info on the specifics of the campaign and how the progression works.

Something which greatly turned me off in FM6/FH3 was the insane amount of free handouts and gambling (spins/mods). It didn't feel much like progression if you got a Veyron as your first prize or get to drive various lambo's and ferrari's before having even started your first race.

The incredibly short and throwaway races without any real cohesion (even in FM6's concept) was also a big downer, as was the frankly stupid mechanic where the only way to progress was to finish in the top 3.

1) Are the free handouts in the campaign still a thing? Or is there some actual difficult progression there with no gifts at every turn?

2) Are races more consistent and cohesive? Are championships a thing now, where there's a point total over a season rather than a flat requirement of finishing 3rd or higher in every single race?

If anyone can give me some further description of how the campaign works, i would be grateful. My gold standard for racing game campaigns (from what i've played) is shared between GT4 and Grid (the first one), and i'm hoping FM7 can at least get close to those.
The progression is completely different, hardly any free handouts. You get a free car for some of the showcases, but not much else. It's going to take awhile, and a lot of racing to get every car in the game this time. When you level up, you can pick from 50k in credits, a new racing suit, or a discount on a car you can buy(discount and Car depends on what tier you are In for your car collection).

The career is much better too, I think. You can pick from several different events, and each has multiple races with a championship format.

But, it's definitely nothing like Forza 6 when it comes to free cars, money and prizes.

In a way, the current career mode is sort of a throwback to the old "Wall o' posters" approach from the 360-era Forza games, but everything is ordered in a more sensible way so you aren't eventually stuck grinding the same small handful of events constantly. You also don't have to finish first in every single race to advance either, the points you earn in each event add up to an overall total that determines when the next set unlocks.

It definitely an improvement from the guided tours of Forza 5 and 6 that would spoon-feed you content and expected you to follow a relatively linear path.

But, it's definitely nothing like Forza 6 when it comes to free cars, money and prizes.
Big time... in Forza 6 I had more credits when I first started the game than I have managed to earn in 3 days of racing in 7. It was insane how large a bonus 6 gave you if you had played the previous titles and had over 100 cars in each garage. Then right off like within the first hour I got a spin and got that 2 million credit F1 car. After two or three months of playing I had pretty much every car I wanted [a lot of them] and well over 100 million credits left over. I think at one point I had a spin that gave me 20 million as well.

So far the most I have made in a single go on FM7 was just under 900k and that was for an hour long race with unbeatable AI and using 3 mods for extra credits.

Can you sell cars in FM7? How are credits earned exactly, are spins still a thing? Because i've kinda grown to dislike them over the past few games.

Can you sell cars in FM7? How are credits earned exactly, are spins still a thing? Because i've kinda grown to dislike them over the past few games.
You can't sell cars. I think they removed that option a couple games ago; you can only remove them from your garage, so no money can be obtained from them. Wheelspins are Horizon-only, so the closest you'll get to that is leveling up your Driver Level & being presented with the 3 different choices Prouson noted.

You can't sell cars. I think they removed that option a couple games ago; you can only remove them from your garage, so no money can be obtained from them. Wheelspins are Horizon-only, so the closest you'll get to that is leveling up your Driver Level & being presented with the 3 different choices Prouson noted.
You can sell some of them, I've sold 3 or so formula e cars I got for free(after the discount) from leveling up, and a couple of Nascars as well. I think if you get them again though, as a level up option , you can only just remove them.

You can sell some of them, I've sold 3 or so formula e cars I got for free(after the discount) from leveling up, and a couple of Nascars as well. I think if you get them again though, as a level up option , you can only just remove them.
Interesting. The only car I've removed is the Donk FE car, whatever it was, and didn't get any money, so I figured it was business as usual.

Interesting. The only car I've removed is the Donk FE car, whatever it was, and didn't get any money, so I figured it was business as usual.

I think what it is is that any of the DLC cars that were placed in your garage for 0 in game credits can not be sold. Any car you buy either straight up or at a discount via the level up system should be able to be sold though by getting more cars and raising the tier you get offered better cars and bigger discounts [up to a point anyway] I got the One:1 earlier but even with the 300k discount I am still short a few k of being able to get it I skipped it and have it set aside for later when I have enough credits to pick it up.

If you sell cars your car collecting points go back down by how many that car was worth, FYI.

Where do loot crates come in? The gamespot review mentions that they're the level up prizes, but this thread contests that.

Where do loot crates come in? The gamespot review mentions that they're the level up prizes, but this thread contests that.
They're just optional items you can buy with in-game credits. Level up prizes are your choice of some extra credits, a car that's either free or heavily discounted, or a racing suit, and your car collection tier affects the value of said items.

Prize crates might have been level up items in earlier review builds, but I think T10 decided it would be more fair to let people choose what reward they wanted, rather than basically just rehash the wheelspins.

Latest Posts

Back