How Does the Human Species Move Past Religion?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 38 comments
This is something I struggled with when I moved to the city. Back home you just believe what you believe and are never really forced to discuss it, but up here people with different opinions are hard to avoid. After a few years I’ve got a bit of a strategy.

My approach is to avoid eye contact and increase the speed I’m walking. A polite “all good thanks” tends to help as well. In desperate times, my wife has been known to say “no time at the moment guys, gotta change the baby” which is a sure fire winner. These strategies also work pretty good with solar panel salesmen, roller shutter people and (when you’re short of a quid) charitable organisations.

We’re talking about how to move past the religious people who set up in shopping centres to tell me I’m gonna burn in hell right?

Last edited:
You cant get rid of religion no matter what because Humans since time began needed something to believe in.

Ever since civilisation started religion and politics always mixed no matter what. Rule of Kings ordained by God even Pagan soceities had religion central in their rule like the Romans, Greeks, Carthage. Lets not forget the Aztecs.

Even during the French revolution the French revolutionaries made their own religion called the cult of Reason.

Yeah maybe religion has lost its steam due to Techology, science and materialism. But religion even today is still important in a society no matter what. Both religion and culture seem to also influence each other and religion seems to central somebody's ethnic identity.

Regardless if you practice or not you use traditions that either came from religion.

Humans and Religion just can not divorce each other overnight.

We’re talking about how to move past the religious people who set up in shopping centres to tell me I’m gonna burn in hell right?
Well, the premise of this thread is that it's desirable for the entire human species to move past religion, and the question is how this could be accomplished. But there's no easy answers so far.

You cant get rid of religion no matter what because Humans since time began needed something to believe in.

Ever since civilisation started religion and politics always mixed no matter what. Rule of Kings ordained by God even Pagan soceities had religion central in their rule like the Romans, Greeks, Carthage. Lets not forget the Aztecs.

Even during the French revolution the French revolutionaries made their own religion called the cult of Reason.

Yeah maybe religion has lost its steam due to Techology, science and materialism. But religion even today is still important in a society no matter what. Both religion and culture seem to also influence each other and religion seems to central somebody's ethnic identity.

Regardless if you practice or not you use traditions that either came from religion.

Humans and Religion just can not divorce each other overnight.
Generally agreed on all points except the first one. We are trying to consider the possibility that something more powerful, useful or credible than religion could be universally accepted - or even arise by force majeure, if you like.

Well, the premise of this thread is that it's desirable for the entire human species to move past religion, and the question is how this could be accomplished. But there's no easy answers so far.
I would argue that a huge portion of people have already moved past religion. As of 2021, nearly half Australians report having no religious association in the census. In 50 years the percentage of Aussies saying they have an association with Christianity has nearly halved.

A7EEBACB-5EE2-4396-A3CE-B872440F6FD8.jpeg

Currently, 69% of Interwar (75 years and older) Australians associate with Christianity. 30% of millennials have that same religion. Decrease in religious belief is happening by itself and is showing very little sign of slowing down.

A32F887B-C063-4ACF-B0C8-FC0459036A92.jpeg

It is not possible to eliminate religion all together, nor should it be. Some people find huge personal, spiritual and moral value in religion. Some don’t. People have the right to practice, or not, whatever they like.

Even as time marches on and religion becomes less commonplace, it will still exist.

We are trying to consider the possibility that something more powerful, useful or credible than religion could be universally accepted - or even arise by force majeure, if you like.
Tripe.

I’m not religious 1 iota, however I don’t think we should have to move past religion but somehow allow/nudge it to evolve into something less critical to some humans existence.

Don’t fight it but accept it to be part of some peoples lives. However the extremes of religion really need to be reigned in, and this needs to come from within the religions and their followers as they’re more likely to listen to them rather than us none believers.

I miss believing in God and being part of a religion. I miss my pre-"red pill" stage of life. To me, the fact that I was only ever in it because I grew up in it, was forever questioning it while there, but still miss it, speaks volumes about its power and allure. To believe that there's the possibility that an horrendous life could be turned around at one stroke of God's "magic wand"?..... I'm not surprised that people invest in that kind of ignorance is bliss lottery, and it should come as no surprise that widespread dedication to religion often aligns with lower socioeconomic areas. I don't see it as much different to people falling victim to get-rich-quick schemes, and such. Not that I could or would go back but I understand why people tunnel-vision their way through life in that kind of way. I can't see religion or (other types of) gambling disappearing any time soon.

Last edited:
'Moving past religion' as a statement to me doesn't mean banning it, it means making it irrelevant. Unrequired. Unnecessary if you like.
This ^^^^^. I never mentioned banning religion. I mean moving past religion as a socio-political force that certain members of the human race feel the need to inflict on each other.

As a small-L libertarian, I have no problem with the individual's intoxicant of choice, be it alcohol, THC, adrenaline, or god. You have every right to worship as you see fit. I think it is silly, but that's irrelevant. Religion, after all, is the opiate of the masses - possibly the only true words Marx ever wrote. However, like any other intoxicant, over-indulgence will control your life. It's fine if you personally choose it, but you cannot expect others to share that way of life or support you in living it.

Also as a small-L libertarian, my support for your right to religion ends the moment you try to impose it on anyone else.

And that's where the real problem lies. Most - not all, but most - religions require their adherents to make sure that the rest of the planet "sees the light", whether they want to or not. And if they can't get you to join their cult, they will install themselves in positions of political power by any means necessary, so they can enforce their own morality on you and everyone else.

I quit religion when I was about 10 (not that I ever really had it to begin with; it was just another unquestioned concept grown-ups talked about). I quit smoking pot by the time I was 21 or so, and never really used anything harder. I drink alcohol only occasionally, and get drunk even less frequently.

None of those intoxicants help me live my daily life in the real world. They range from pointless at best to downright hindrance at worst. A good drink is a pleasant experience, so I still have one now and then.

Religion is completely interwoven with conservatism, itself made up of a number of issues that infect the human psyche; leftover survival instincts from our primitive time in a terrifying world:
  • Tradition - sticking with what "works" and avoiding risk
  • Ingrouping / outgrouping and fear of otherness
  • Fear of change
  • Fear of unknown
Religion is an effective method of indoctrinating new generations with all those fears, to keep them conservatively avoiding risk. Not coincidentally it is also an effective method of keeping them under control. As such, it is difficult to root out and destroy, since it serves the purposes of those who benefit from keeping the human race fearful and under control.

In the modern day, when the world need not be so terrifying, this socio-political combination of religion and conservatism has become a cancer that must be surgically and completely removed if our society is to live and thrive.

Since I am utterly devoid of whatever combination of genetics and psychology predisposes one to these fears, and therefore to religion, I am of limited usefulness in determining a strategy to help those who are victims of them. My initial response is to quote Nancy Reagan: "Just say no." Unfortunately, that's about as useful now as it was then.

Last edited:
I think Christians started off as victims of the established order. Once the Holy Roman Empire adopted their movement as a religion of choice they became the establishment and had to find other groups to nominate as the embodiment of satanic evil. First they came for the Jews, and so on.

This'd appear to make it a natural fit for today's Grand Old Party.

Last edited:
Back