How Good Someone Really Is?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LinPark
  • 19 comments
  • 1,529 views

LinPark

Premium
Messages
1,140
United States
Delaware, OH
Messages
GTP_LinPark
I've seen signatures out there with GT4 level completion statistics. With the new Trophy system out there, do we think GT5:P will ever have something like that where you can see how much experience another driver has without asking him/her?

I'd really like for it to track the number of online races you have competed in and what your average finish is. Might be nice to capture penalty information as well so you can see just how many times someone has been involved in an altercation.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but wanted to get some ideas from you all on this.

Thanks!
 
Good idea, but if i have a friend over and they are little less talented it will be negative for 'my' score then.

would be good to post best laptimes and sector times on internet website ?
 
Good idea, but if i have a friend over and they are little less talented it will be negative for 'my' score then.

would be good to post best laptimes and sector times on internet website ?

You let your friends race as you? :nervous:

Would make for a nice alibi though if anyone ever tried to blacklist you. :)
 
You let your friends race as you? :nervous:

Would make for a nice alibi though if anyone ever tried to blacklist you. :)

yeah it happens. but we mostly do offline 2P battles ;)
 
I've seen signatures out there with GT4 level completion statistics. With the new Trophy system out there, do we think GT5:P will ever have something like that where you can see how much experience another driver has without asking him/her?

I'd really like for it to track the number of online races you have competed in and what your average finish is. Might be nice to capture penalty information as well so you can see just how many times someone has been involved in an altercation.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but wanted to get some ideas from you all on this.

Thanks!

I've seen a rather old game keep track of those statistics, # of races particpated in, # races completed, rating (the higher average finish you have the higher your rating, on a scale of 1-10) and numbers of laps per incident.

So it is possible and has been done before. It's just up to PD to implement it
 
The idea is good, but ... from my experience with Madden Football, gamers would be pulling the plug as soon as they fear their record would be tarnished when they forsee themselves loosing a ranked event. In the same respect, those of us that want to seal our victory and record our win will be irritated by this behavior and think this is pointless to even try to improve your record.
 
I dont care for statistics of that kind, it leads to too many who play only for statistics and not for fun. Ends up with a very high competitive enviroment and gets everyones temper up more than increases the fun.
 
I dont care for statistics of that kind, it leads to too many who play only for statistics and not for fun. Ends up with a very high competitive enviroment and gets everyones temper up more than increases the fun.

Good point but that didn't stop them from having Arcade Time Trials - talk about competitive! :)
 
I dont care for statistics of that kind, it leads to too many who play only for statistics and not for fun. Ends up with a very high competitive enviroment and gets everyones temper up more than increases the fun.

I agree on that, it should be fun, not mayhem.

Grtz

Bryan
 
Maybe something like clanbase.com? With ranking systems, tournaments with prizes (money/hardware), maybe you can compete in a sort of team, schedule races.

Or is this crazy talk ?
 
I know a good driver when I see one (meaning, when I race against one). I've seen many punters and overall dirty drivers winning races, so I don't care about online rankings at all.

Besides, when you're playing for fun sometimes, after a good battle envolving several players, it happens (hapenned to me several times and it's a laugh, I tell you) that when we arrive by the finish line it suddenly seems nobody wants to win. Cars spinning all over the place, braking hard against the wall, whatever :lol:

Would this happen with rankings? I don't think so. In short, I play for fun, not for some stats stored in a distant server ...
 
I get the feeling that if stats were introduced, the level of dirty driving would rise with people doing anything (even more so) for the win :/
 
Some of the fastest drivers are punters :scared: You'd be surprised lol
 
If anyones played Burnout they do that at the start. State how many online races someones competed in. How many takeouts they've done etc. etc.

I've often thought it could brand people after races...........as in most contact made with other drivers. Amount of time penalties received during race.
Fastest lap, most overtakes, clean race, how many clean races in a row etc.

Also some games have ranked and none ranked games, so stats aren't stored and ya can go out and have a 'dirty slog' if ya feel the need.
 
I dont care for statistics of that kind, it leads to too many who play only for statistics and not for fun. Ends up with a very high competitive enviroment and gets everyones temper up more than increases the fun.

That's true, most stat keeping turns your average gamer into a win at all cost loser. But if statistics are done correctly, it can lead to better drivers and better races.

Don't record wins, podiums, poles, etc, instead record how many races a driver has competed in and how many he has finished. That will encourage guys to finish the race. Record how many crashes someone has per lap. That will encourage drivers to race clean. It becomes a pride thing.

As for knowing who finishes on the podium regularly, introduce a rating system instead of stats like wins. Have the rating system reward more then just podium finishes and wins, reward consistancy, as in finishing a high percentage of your races and also finishing before the timer runs out. Not just wins

Stats can be used to increase the quality of online racing, if done right. But if you introduce basic win/loss stats I agree, you're going to have trouble.
 
Right now the races are too short, and if the tires are anything above S3 and also due to the fact that rubberbanding stil exists, and because of these, I would have to say that winning an online race is not a reflection of how good of a driver the person is. Right now, the leaderboard of the TT is the only determining factor. It's fotunate that we're also able to view the top 10 lap times since it would give us indication as to whether the lap was clean or not.
 
The stats perhaps could also record the number of places gained, for those rolling start races when you're at the back of the grid with a field of pro racers
 
I'm dead against keeping stats on penalties until they get the penalties sorted out. Twice last night I got a 'ramming penalty' when some tosser shunted me off the track. Not one of those - side by side, easy to see how the computer could have made a mistake - situations, I'm talking about someone just ploughing straight into my back bumper :grumpy:

Also shortcut penalties should be like IRL where it only matters if you gain an advantage from it. Otherwise having crap all over your tyres should be penalty enough.
 
The stats perhaps could also record the number of places gained, for those rolling start races when you're at the back of the grid with a field of pro racers

That penalises lower PP cars which start at the front, as they have little chance to make lots of overtakes, they are in the position to be overtaken only. Not to mention AWD cars would give a few free overtakes at the race start.
 
True, I suppose you've got to also be careful of having stats for the sake of having them. Just thought stats that record only podiums can result in some nasty driving for the line, whereas gained/lost places can record a general trend. They seem quite happy to have it in F1. The stats don't penalise you for loosing places - you do that yourself. Plus any places lost would be negated obviously when/if you overtake again? A driver could be better than most, but by starting at the back of the grid in a 3 lap race can sometimes only do so much and not get a podium.
 
Back