How GT5 and racing games saved my life

Messages
3,095
United States
USA
Messages
ItsAllAboutWins
I'm not sure this is in the correct place, but I know it will get placed there, as this is where I see fit.
This isn't a thread on how I was addicted to some form of alcohol or drug abuse and GT5/racing games miraculously pulled me into a remission. This is a story on how repetition from driving actually saved me from a sure fatal incident.
I was heading home from work, going down the interstate, with full darkness just setting in. I was driving my 05 F150 5.4 V8 in the slow lane (as there wasn't any other traffic around and we only have 2 lanes in my rural area) and was day dreaming about what I was going to do when I got home. Spend time with the wife, goof off with the kids and just relax after being on the road for 6 days. I drifted into what they call micro sleep, where you are subconsciously awake but you're not aware of the surroundings, off in a dream without blinking.. We truckers call this, the truckers zone. I came too and rubbed both of my eyes with my index finger and thumb. As soon as I opened my eyes back up, I was about to rear end a truck hauling an overly loaded trailer with no tail lights traveling about 40-50 mph. Human instinct kicked in and I immediately jerked the wheel to the left sending my truck into a slide at 75 mph with nowhere to go. My truck was so sideways, my headlights where literally shining through the drivers side window and it all was happening in the blink of an eye. With no time to think, I cut the wheel back to the left, let slightly off the throttle and looked where I wanted to go. Be it through experiencing this countless times in learning how to drive with a G27 or a favor from God, my truck straightened up without any over correction and off I went with my heart in my throat, and half the drivers seat wedged between my butt crack.
I don't know if it was actual experience that saved me, or just luck. I think I'll give credit to both GT5 and God for not dying or being severely injured. Just wanted everyone to know that, sometimes games effect us more than we know.
 
Last edited:
Amazing story. Becareful next time
 
First off, glad to hear that your still alive and well. Great that you knew what to do at the right time. Now whoever says that games can kill people, you just proved them wrong :sly:

also....
and half the drivers seat wedged between my butt cracks.

I dont know what to think of this, there shouldn't be multiple ones :lol:
 
First off, glad to hear that your still alive and well. Great that you knew what to do at the right time. Now whoever says that games can kill people, you just proved them wrong :sly:

also....

I dont know what to think of this, there shouldn't be multiple ones :lol:

Lol my phone auto filled it in.
 
ItsAllAboutWins

Given that situation, appropriate screenname, imo. ;)
 
I'm glad to hear your ok and I can give your GT5 experience some credibility I had a similar incidence, I was driving in the rain and my front tires lost traction and instead of slamming on the brakes I let off the gas allowing the front wheels to grab and get me around the corner.
 
Goodness, that's quite the story!

I don't doubt GT was your saviour here, if you have no experience with driving a car that's 'out of control' you're far less likely to react correctly.

I'm glad you're alright and I hope you reported the other driver for having no tail lights.
 
.................................................................................Just wanted everyone to know that, sometimes games effect us more than we know.

They do. Driving my RL car after playing GT5 makes me feel like riding a tricycle after thrashing a Lightning F-40 around.
 
Goodness, that's quite the story!

I don't doubt GT was your saviour here, if you have no experience with driving a car that's 'out of control' you're far less likely to react correctly.

I'm glad you're alright and I hope you reported the other driver for having no tail lights.

I didn't report them. I didn't even think about it, even though it was the right thing to have done. I don't think anyone around here reports stuff like that, and I think trailers aren't required to have lights on them here if they are under a certain length. I know we don't have to register a trailer.
Also, in the winter when it snows or ices up the parking lots, I drive around them and practice going out control to see if I recover. Haven't done that in a couple of years, but I had just forgotten about it until now.

They do. Driving my RL car after playing GT5 makes me feel like riding a tricycle after thrashing a Lightning F-40 around.

Try driving a semi truck with a steering wheel that's a lot bigger than a regular one, then getting in a vehicle with a normal wheel to get home on, then driving with the tiny g27 wheel lol it'll mess with you that's for sure

I'm glad to hear your ok and I can give your GT5 experience some credibility I had a similar incidence, I was driving in the rain and my front tires lost traction and instead of slamming on the brakes I let off the gas allowing the front wheels to grab and get me around the corner.

Most people react by slamming on the brakes and that's where they get into worse trouble!
 
I'll second this. I had only passed my test for a few months when I hit a patch of black ice at a junction. Through luck I missed a taxi by about 6 inches but was almost completely sideways. I had no brake authority at all so applied some opposite lock as I mounted the central reservation. The grass was wet so next to no grip there either but I did not spin an eventually regained control. I ended up sat at the next set of traffic lights at a slight angle, but otherwise ok. The car needed a new wheel and track rod where I hit the kerb but was otherwise ok. I maintain that it was years of computer racing that taught me to focus on where I wanted to go, not where I was going.

Luck helped. Good story OP, glad you made it out ok.
 
...............................
Try driving a semi truck with a steering wheel that's a lot bigger than a regular one, then getting in a vehicle with a normal wheel to get home on, then driving with the tiny g27 wheel lol it'll mess with you that's for sure.....................

That 'tiny' G27 wheel is very close in size to an F1 wheel. Mastering it surely helps when you shift over to handling the wheel in the cab of an AEC Double Decker. (Ask Bond.)

However, I was agreeing with you that playing with the associated equipment that simulates real life driving in GT5 is usually accompanied by muscle memory that helps when driving in a real life situation that suddenly simulates a death-defying emergency. ;) 👍
 
Fantastic story bro! Wish the same happened to me in my (different) situation. I was 15 and still back in Oman where it is quite common for younger teens to drive. I was doing about 100mph in my mum's 3rd hand Subaru Forrester (not hard, roads are very straight and empty at night there), then as I was going on a bridge over a roundabout, as I went over the crest there was a car in front which I couldn't see beforehand due to the incline. Slammed the brakes, barely did anything tbh, swerved to the right to avoid him and started to skid, then overcorrected and hit the concrete barrier in the middle holding the streetlights. Miraculously the road was banked (even though it was straight!) so the car just slowly made its way to the 'safe' side of the road. I was playing GT3 at that point but clearly was too novice to apply the knowledge :D

One thing that confuses me though. In Oman you drive on the right side, but the cars are right-hand drive...here in the UK the steering wheel's in the same position but you drive on the left?!
 
When you have a right-side street, you drive a left- hand car, and you drive a right- hand car on left-side streets.
 
When you have a right-side street, you drive a left- hand car, and you drive a right- hand car on left-side streets.
I've just seen the video I made of the night on YT, you're right (ofc)! LHD in Oman, traffic right. Can't believe I forgot that haha - too long in England!!
 
Last edited:
Stage 3 Engine Tuning and Titanium Racing Exhaust will put an end to these micro sleeps
 
Or seriously, a Cigarette Lighter. Cue Mr Bean
 
Stage 3 Engine Tuning and Titanium Racing Exhaust will put an end to these micro sleeps
It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 1000hp if you're highway cruising! And you could have a straight-piped engine but in a cruising situation it doesn't matter how loud or rich the sound is, your brain still drowns out anything that doesn't really change over time (same rpms on highway) :D
 
^lol turbo tips, It simulates the sound of a turbo and BOV only much more sensative. you let off at all and lets out a *pssssshheew* whereas a BOV wil only dump when you let nearly all the way out.
 
^lol turbo tips, It simulates the sound of a turbo and BOV only much more sensative. you let off at all and lets out a *pssssshheew* whereas a BOV wil only dump when you let nearly all the way out.
That would be perfect! Unless you're a trucker driving some commercial vehicle or something like a minivan - it'd be worth it personally just for the snorts of derision [:<

And...there's also those systems that spray when they sense you deviating from a lane for example. Best smell like **** otherwise it'd just help me fall asleep :D
 
Learning about weight transfer, the friction circle, torque, and so on from the guides or just intuitively from playing Gran Turismo can make you a better driver in real life through awareness of vehicle physics (in my humble opinion)
 
Back