How important is the hp/kg ratio?

• Thread starter Thomasss95
  • 10 comments
Netherlands
The Netherlands
As you will probably know, a car can have different hp/kg ratios while having the same pp... That got me wondering how important the hp/kg ratio is.

For example, the Miata NC at 450pp:
1. 257hp, 1100kg, 4.28kg/hp
2. 239hp, 990kg, 4.14kg/hp
3. 232hp, 920kg, 3.97kg/hp

To me option 3 would be the best, but is that true? Is the best kg/hp ratio also the best option or is there more to it?

It really depends on the track you are racing at. So for example for the Nurburgring you want Option 1 and for Tsukuba maybe Option 2 or 3.
I always chose the best kg/hp ratio, so option 3. Usually I race on the Nürburgring, so it's good to know that isn't smart to do. Thanks! :)

I second the above.

Also keep in mind that the broader the power curve the more power is being spread out across the rpm range so the PP gets higher. The kg/HP ratio only takes the peak HP and says nothing about weight distribution.

IMO below 1000kg more power is always better. After you pass a ton start looking at the track your going to be on.
Short/Mid speed technical tracks lighter is better
Long/ high speed power is better.
Testable example get a KTM or fireblade and then get say a XJR tune them up to say 565 and then go hit Eigar and HSR.
The KTM or fireblade will munched at HSR but they will munch the XJR at Eigar

Last edited:
As you will probably know, a car can have different hp/kg ratios while having the same pp... That got me wondering how important the hp/kg ratio is.

For example, the Miata NC at 450pp:
1. 257hp, 1100kg, 4.28kg/hp
2. 239hp, 990kg, 4.14kg/hp
3. 232hp, 920kg, 3.97kg/hp

To me option 3 would be the best, but is that true? Is the best kg/hp ratio also the best option or is there more to it?

A low kg/hp is good for low speed acceleration. At high speeds power is more important than the kg/hp ratio.

So car number 3 would be the fastest off the grid, while car number 1 would have better acceleration at high speeds (and a higher top speed).

You can't tell by looking at numbers how fast a car will be in GT6 because the most important statistic in car performance is not visible - grip levels. PD gives different cars different levels of grip and it's the most important factor in how fast a car is. Drive all three to figure out which one is best because real world theories about low vs. high kg/hp and low vs. high speed tracks don't always apply to the GT world.

Last edited:
Quick question is there a thread that lists all the kg per hp somewhere? I've been looking but can't find it so far.

Quick question is there a thread that lists all the kg per hp somewhere? I've been looking but can't find it so far.
The list would insanely huge as every car would need an entry per kg and hp rating it could achieve

If you go to the website gtdata.net and Search Cars, then enter 0.001 in the P/W box and select >= from the drop-down menu, you will get a list of every single car in GT6 with their listed P/W ratio. This will be the stock P/W ratio (with oil change). You can then click on "Select which columns to display" and put a check in the box for P/W MAX and it will also list that data for you too.

gtdata.net is a fantastic resource. I use it quite frequently.

Back