How important is tuning?

• Thread starter Woodybobs
  • 12 comments
Ireland
Ireland
Howdy.
I'm fairly inexperienced with sim racing. I dabbled a bit with PC1 AND AC, but I didn't stick with either. I got hooked on GTS from day one, but practically every car is easy to drive with stock tunes. My question is, are some cars impossible to drive without tuning, or is it simply a case that I should git gud?

That's why GTS is 7-77. No disrespect at all. It's about a pick up game. There are games lmade just for that purpose. Some games made to be more in depth. The beauty of choices. Also remember, Kaz did say driving is easy.

However, if you ever want to experience a full weekend of racing, PC2 & AC, are your games on console.

Howdy.
I'm fairly inexperienced with sim racing. I dabbled a bit with PC1 AND AC, but I didn't stick with either. I got hooked on GTS from day one, but practically every car is easy to drive with stock tunes. My question is, are some cars impossible to drive without tuning, or is it simply a case that I should git gud?
Alot of cars in PCARS are very hard to drive and certainly require a good bit of tuning as the default tunes aint very good. Some dont though and have good SMS tunes to begin with.

Some games made to be more in depth
This is the very reason I bought PC2. The time I spent on GTS has certainly given me more skills than I had before, but I wanted more of a challenge (and tracks, of course).
are your games on console.
I play on PS4 exclusively.
Alot of cars in PCARS are very hard to drive and certainly require a good bit of tuning as the default tunes aint very good. Some dont though and have good SMS tunes to begin with.
I've been having a lot of fun with some cars. I must say that the game is awesome when I choose a car with a stock tune that suits my driving.

Some cars "classes" you can find in the end just don't suit your style and you will have to learn I used to play race07 a lot on pc that is based around
the touring car classes and I always hated FF cars after playing to much GT growing old so I only had one choice of car the BMW. After around 400hrs I got fed up being spanked by the FF and moved to using the FF only until I could hold my own in a 24 player race(that's mid field for me). I stopped playing after 900hrs and moved on to other games and gosh darn I ended up being pretty good in any FF the host threw my way :). I think the main thing it forced me to learn was setting up the dif to dial out the lift off oversteer to a managable level for me. But when it comes to open wheel cars that relay on down force I will never be near the front I just cant drive them hard enough to keep the tyres @ racing temps and always have to end up lowering AI levels to get a good races with them.

some great tips on yorkie065 channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfi0HzMwjV202AqGiK1PLQ

@FOG-Smokebeer Only 890 hours to go for me so :lol:. Seriously,though, it's a valid point. Aside from GTS I've only played sims for a handful of hours. With GTS, though, I didn't need to do any tuning to be competitive. I just drove and got better. I suppose my question really should be; will I have to learn about tuning to be competitive in PC2, or other similar games?

Well erm "maybe" ;) sometimes I've worked on cars thinking I was doing well making it faster only to take it online and get beat by my buds
and I ask what they tweaked and they just say its "stock" arrgghhaaa then other times like last nights Enzo race I had to slow up and wait for them to catch up ;) that tune worked well and I don't mind sharing them while we race so the next race with 6 of us the top 3 had my tune it was nice to see. Pick a track nothing to long I used Silverstone nat (its in a lot of games)and use the TT part of the game load the stable setup take it for a few laps then try the loose setup do a few laps find which one suits you best then take a look through all the setting then go back to the loose setting and see what changed this will start to give you some idea of whats going on with the springs etc. You can also grab some of the fastest guys ghosts and tunes before you start but watch out the aliens close the ducts so it will over heat very quick. Do you have a smart phone? there are some good apps I use RsDash helps setting the brake bias etc after brakes the 3 main things I adjust are springs/bump stops/dif

QUOTE="Woodybobs, post: 12145477, member: 292773"]Howdy.
I'm fairly inexperienced with sim racing. I dabbled a bit with PC1 AND AC, but I didn't stick with either. I got hooked on GTS from day one, but practically every car is easy to drive with stock tunes. My question is, are some cars impossible to drive without tuning, or is it simply a case that I should git gud?[/QUOTE]

You don't have to tune the cars to enjoy them. I got into racing untuned cars on GT5. All the series that I host are for untuned cars - many competitors prefer it as it saves a lot of time and personally I prefer adapting my driving to suit the car rather than the other way around. I only select cars to use which in testing seemed fine on default settings. We race every Monday and Wednesday evening and you would be welcome to join us if you are free.

2018 Programme.jpg

Thank you to everyone that replied. After watching some of the YouTube recommendations I've concluded that my driving needs to improve before I start tinkering with setups. I'm noticing the difference already. If anyone else wishes to share tips or reading/watching material they are most welcome to, whether they are driving or tuning related.

I have a couple of other questions that someone may be able to answer.

In time trial mode are the fastest laps available for each car/class? Currently I can only find gr1 times.

Is there something similar to suggested gear available for the HUD? I dislike the driving line so I never use it, but it makes learning the tracks quite difficult.

@Sick Cylinder Those leagues look appealing. Expect to see me as soon as my driving becomes less erratic.

Hi m8 I think you find the cars are lumped into groups like all road cars all gt cars all open wheelers kind a thing its annoying and people are asking it to change and there is no suggested gear sorry you might like the crew chief app though it acts like an extra spotter in races :) .Your welcome to add me if you like i do have a little community going "friendly-online-gamers" its just for the nice guys i've met online who want some fun races with like minded people where speed isn't everything ;)

In time trial mode are the fastest laps available for each car/class? Currently I can only find gr1 times.
I have both versions, and on PC you can switch between classes, which sadly isn't possible on PS4. You're stuck with scrolling to slower times, and check the cars there.

Back