How in the world do you beat the AI?

Canada
37.6 Trillion Miles Away
I entered the Japan 80s challenge, using a modified MR2 with an Aspec rating of 62 points.
First race is El Capitan, lap 1 goes by rough but manageable. I get into first place with about a second and a half lead.
Lap 2, the second place AI is pushing me hard, and I mean literally. I can never get past the second lap without being spun out!

Even with all my practice it feels like the only strategy to reliably win races is to drive a very over powered car or cheat and cut as many corners as I can. Because if my speed is even close to the AI they will ram me and spin me out.
It's immensely frustrating because the rest of this game is great, but the AI might be some of the worst I've ever seen in a racing game. Their completely ignorant of the player and will just constantly wreck you.

Is there nothing that can be done to make them less awful?
Do I just have to grind until I can max out my car so they can't possibly touch me?

I would watch your surroundings (use your rear view more often) and study the cars’ lines around the track so you can avoid them more easily. If I remember right the AI tends to overshoot some of the corners at El Capitan more often than at other tracks.

If that doesn’t work, your only other option is to upgrade your car more or use a different one.

the only time I've seen the AI overshoot is in Front Front cars because I assume their lines were set up with Front Rear or Mid Rear cars in mind and they don't properly account for how much under-steer Front Fronts have.

The MR2 probably has more tendency to spin out when rammed than other cars do. Are you using sports soft tires? I found the Nissan Skyline GTR (R32) '89 very good for this series. Brought back memories of GT1...

(Buy from Historic Car Lot; do not change oil; do not do weight reduction)

Last edited:
Back