How is Ride Height calculated?

• Thread starter Deadpool
  • 21 comments
United States
New York
GTP-DEADPOOL
I searched but didn't find a answer.

It's clear that ride height is not in inches, because no car has a ride height of 150 inches:odd:. So it's probably safe to assume this is actually mm (how did PD screw this up??).

After doing some searching and comparing ground clearance of real cars I believe ground clearance is what PD means by "ride height".

GT6 STi Spec C RA
125mm f/r ride height

Real Life Spec C
Around 5" of Ground clearance.

125mm = 4.92 inches. Pretty close, and I cant find the RA's actual ground clearance, I'm using the regular Spec C.

So if you want to create a similar ride height to your real life car, find the ground clearance (aol autos etc list it) and go from there.

Where are they measuring from? In SCCA Spec Miata, many measure from the pinch weld jacking points under the doors. I never liked the factory tolerances in those areas so I measure from the sub frame bolting points. I figure those had a factory spec tolerance where pinch welds are crose enough.

Spec Miata:

Measured by most in the class: 4 1/2 " front and somewhere between 4 1/2" and 4 7/8" rear.

Measured by my method at the lowest points of the suspension: 10.5 mm front and 13.5 mm rear.

So where do you think they measure from in the game?

It's clear that ride height is not in inches, because no car has a ride height of 150 inches:odd:. So it's probably safe to assume this is actually mm (how did PD screw this up??).
Screwed up how? Because they, you presume, used metric measurements?

Screwed up because PD put the unit of measure as inches on ride height and car dimensions when it should be mm. The numbers themselves are the amount in mm, but the "legend" says it's inches.
Makes sense. I've never looked at those. Ever.
The numbers could be in mm. 4.5" to the pinch weld would be 114.3 mm. That sounds plausible.
I agree that is likely the case. It makes more sense to me that this measurement would be metric due to the increased precision... and because I don't own an American car. Everything is metric! :D

Everytime i corner weight balanced a car and did adjustments on the racecar i was told to measure from ground (road) to the body with the tape measure in the middle of the wheel (center cap) that way every car can be read the same way. I haven't checked to real cars yet.

So where do you think they measure from in the game?

My thinking is that they are getting a general measurement from the flat under the car to the ground. The numbers simply don't add up with any of the other methods such as from wheel center to body etc. The only numbers that make sense are for ground clearance between the flat and ground. Now is that the front lip to the ground or the subframe to the ground etc? Not sure, and the difference is negligible.

Last edited:

It's units and the closest approximation to those units is millimeters.

Yeah imagine having a Nascar that has a ride height of 80 inches. "Hey Joe can you bring me that 10 foot step ladder so I can get in my car for the race?" ;) clearly it must be mm

Everytime i corner weight balanced a car and did adjustments on the racecar i was told to measure from ground (road) to the body with the tape measure in the middle of the wheel (center cap) that way every car can be read the same way. I haven't checked to real cars yet.
I believe the accepted method is to measure from the centre of the wheel to the middle of the wheelarch above it.

But yes, the GT method is ground to lowest-point-of-body.

I could see problems arising from trying to guess how far the bodywork hangs below the center of the wheelarch in GT. :)

The game lists it as inches not units. Clearly it's been labeled incorrectly and we all realize its mm.

What I meant is that each unit may not be 100% accurate to a mm measurement, which is why converting mm to inches might give results that are slightly off.

I believe the accepted method is to measure from the centre of the wheel to the middle of the wheelarch above it.

But yes, the GT method is ground to lowest-point-of-body.

Most repair manuals call out this method so that any idiot 17 year old hill billy can get a street car within the factory ranges. Most racing teams do not measure at the wheel arch because we tend to knock fenders out of alignment all of the time. Chassis parts that are much harder to bend are preferred. As long as you use the same measuring points all of the time, consistent results can be achieved.

Thinking about the in-game numbers as MM it does make more sense and I would accept that they are measuring from the lowest point of the chassis.

The game lists it as inches not units. Clearly it's been labeled incorrectly and we all realize its mm.
That's because you've got weird American regional settings. I'm sat here looking at my screen and it clearly states that ride height is measured in mm. Sure, I have to squint and move a little closer to the screen to see it, but it most definitely says mm 👍

{Cy}

They did the same goof with car length and such, listing it as "in" instead of "mm".
No 4,200 inch cars in the world I don't think. (350 feet) :lol:

World%E2%80%99s-Longest-Car-Limousine2.jpg

That's because you've got weird American regional settings. I'm sat here looking at my screen and it clearly states that ride height is measured in mm. Sure, I have to squint and move a little closer to the screen to see it, but it most definitely says mm 👍

{Cy}
Lol it's because PD screwed up and forgot to calculate it for inches in the US market.

Back