How much has GT6 moved the game on?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gnorman
  • 15 comments
  • 1,163 views
Messages
218
United Kingdom
In the Middle
Messages
GTP_YodaTheCat
I read a few reviews of GT6 and the repeated comment I found interesting was the description of the game as GT5.5 rather than GT6 one as I work in IT and I thought it was a bit of a headline friendly putdown at the time rather than an objective summary of GT6.

Is GT6 just more of the same, is there really anything new in GT6? We know there are lots missing that we expect in the updates, but what is new? Lunar missions? Accurately depicted night sky? Or is the majority of “new” stuff something that could have been added to GT5 in a 3.0 update?

I never thought I would say that I am disappointed in GT but I think I finally am. My racing game benchmark was Revs because of the way the game handled, it didn’t help you round the corners like all the arcade racing games of the 80s and 90s, F1GP on the Amiga was pretty good and you could crash out of the race if you drive like a nutter. And that was it until I read about Gran Turismo being in production in one of the Playstation mags of the mid 90s. From the vids you can see the difference from 1985 to 1992 and what GT1 would be like in an era where racing games couldn't drive well even though they looked pretty good

So GT1 was great, but was it the greatest? It was a huge leap forward in my opinion. The driving was realistic enough to beat Revs. The cars actually looked like cars and stayed correct as you moved around them unlike the mostly sprite based racers up to that point, it had licences, a garage full of great cars and enough races to plough through.

My memory is shocking, finding it hard to remember anything before GT5. Trying to remember what GT2 had beyond more tracks, cars is tough, but as the list of cars was fantastic and helped me decide to buy at least 2 of the cars I’ve owned since then it holds a special place as the cars have not since appeared in GT.

GT3 on the PS2 was prettier of course but did it offer anything really new? Wasn’t there a way to create single races based on adjustable difficulty setting? I think that was 3, though it could have been 4. I think 3 was the first one that worked with a wheel, it certainly was the first one I had a wheel for.

GT4 had the Ring for the first time and the real 24hr races, very nice idea but I never had the time. Was this the first version where you could drive half the race and switch to your BSpec driver or was that GT3, or even before that? It also introduced the diary which was a nice idea. Wet races were here first I think, but didn’t add much other than a low grip state which was a different sort of challenge.

GT5 had the full BSpec mode and the course creator, though neither was implemented too well in my opinion. PS3 brought premium cars to the mix though it was always disappointing to find certain cars as standards. Online was a big deal, though with my unpredictable playing time, I never had a good online race with bad driving habits and overpowered cars so prevalent and ruining the experience for me. The changeable weather was nice, but I never got enough playing time to get that far.

And 6? Struggling to see the really new stuff, even with the game on in front of me.

The improvement in physics with each version is a given, as are the graphical improvements and arguably the sound too. I don’t think PD has done a good menu/ui in any version, there are either too many clicks and pop ups (GT1-5), or it has stuff removed like the tuning detail (GT6).

I have a feeling I’m going up to the loft later this week to find the old PlayStation and PS2 and see if I can refresh my memory.
 
I like the new UI design in GT6 much more than GT5. I've never played any GT games before GT5, so I don't have much to compare it to.

I personally think its easier to navigate things with the menus in GT6. I also like the decreased loading times. This is probably my favorite feature. GT5 was infamous for its poor loading times. On occasion, the game seems like it loads twice as fast as GT5, despite PD saying they didn't reduce them that much.

I don't like that they haven't implemented standing starts for every race. It's always a single file line with you either starting in 12th or 11th. A qualifier would make me enjoy career much more, since I'm just blowing through the races, even if I cheat (Which I do a lot in singleplayer, never online).
 
Agree on the UI for 6 being better than 5, I prefer it though I still don't particularly like it. I keep running into areas of the game where I have to back out from a race through a few screens and go to the garage or the Start menu to be able to change something on the car to be able to do the race. It shouldn't be like that, just like it shouldn't have the long loading times it had in 5.

I spent half an hour looking for a car to do the Gormenghast race (or whatever its called), sure there are suggested opponents which help identify the type of car intended for the race but I had to go through all the dealers to find one. Recommended cars sorted me out in the end, but thats only because the rally cars are all in there, if it was the compact cars race I'd have to trawl the dealers. It needs a selection screen in the race screen Change Car screen that shows cars in the dealers as well as in the garage, where you can add other fields to narrow down searches.

I think there are different areas of the ui that need different help - the menu navigation, the car database whether it is the dealership or garage, the tuning and the race screen. Each one has areas for improvement in every version to date.
 
I am a blogger as well as a Gran Turismo veteran. The impressions I got about Gran Turismo 6 was this game being an upgraded GT5. It is an upgraded GT5 in certain senses. However, it is also a GT that seems less lazy and less prejudiced than GT5. GT6 is by no means mind-blowing, but it isn't overly boring either. I actually find joy racing in this game. I am still early on in my GT6 experience because I'm doing a combination of racing and setting up resources in my blog regarding GT6.

You want to ask how much GT6 has moved on? To me, the problems that hampered GT5 were the same ones that hampered Gran Turismo 2- execution. GT5 actually has more disappointments (at least to me) than in GT2. Look at Gran Turismo 5 for a moment. There was NASCAR, some World Rally Championship action, and even Top Gear. It was all fun and everything, but you never felt seriously engaged in any of its content. "Hot mess of fail" is what I used to describe GT5 as. GT6 has much less of certain interesting content, but at least everything is more concentrated and focused than in GT5. And yes- one BIG improvement from GT5 is in the user interface.

My complaints are mostly limited regarding GT6.
 
VBR
It seems to be a case of 2 steps forward & 300 back at the moment! :lol: Let's see what they can improve with all the updates they have planned. 👍

Oh damn! I literately thought about this thread and wanted to say something extremely similar only with different amount of steps both for forward and backward movements. :p

My version was about 3 steps forward and 6 backward...maybe 7.

:cheers: for think a-like.
 
Last edited:
I think GT6 is suffering from a much improved physics model stuck behind a career mode which hasn't changed with the times, AI which is still not good enough to actually have battles with, and a car list which feels padded (I think I'd prefer it if 75% of the standards were turned into AI only cars and removed from the dealerships). Career mode is an unnecessary slog with much fewer "unique" challenging experiences than GT5 had via the special events, so I'm not making much progress getting through IA/S.

To make matters worse, GT6 may have a superb lighting model but the limits of the PS3 are all too evident compared to PC sims which are significantly ahead in graphical fidelity now. And then we have Assetto Corsa which is changing the game in terms of physics and FFB quality, to which GT6 has to be compared.

I regard GT6 as a stepping stone to the (hopefully sooner rather than later) launch of GT7 on the PS4. They have good detailed car models and the new tracks come with excellent surface detail, so with the much more powerful PS4 I assume they can wow us all with amazing graphics, add in the needed complexity to the physics and FFB, and improve grid sizes and multiplayer capabilities. The thing I really don't yet know is whether PD can pull off a single player career mode which is enjoyable to play through.
 
It's got a new handling model which I like a whole lot. I used to feel like I was driving a block of wood around in GT5. Now with the body roll the cars feel much more realistic. And I love the career mode. One of my biggest complaints with GT5 was that it was a boring grind for money. GT6 fixed that completely. I never found myself having to save up for a car I needed for a race.

They really need to completely redo the AI and the engine sounds though. If I was in charge of the company that would be priority #1 and #2. And I think it's time they added a lot more bumps to the tracks. Just look at the Nurburgring real-life vs. GT6 video on the main page of this site. The real-life car is bouncing all over the place while in GT6 the track is smooth as glass.

I'm looking forward to GT7 on the PS4, if for no other reason than that I think the graphics will be spectacular. And if we get the promised "new track every month" as DLC in GT6, and if those are all included in GT7 at launch, I'll be pretty darned happy.
 
...Is GT6 just more of the same, is there really anything new in GT6? We know there are lots missing that we expect in the updates, but what is new? Lunar missions? Accurately depicted night sky? Or is the majority of “new” stuff something that could have been added to GT5 in a 3.0 update?beyond more tracks, cars is tough, but as the list of cars was fantastic and helped me decide to buy at least 2 of the cars I’ve owned since then it holds a special place as the cars have not since appeared in GT...
Interesting that you only really cite one or two improvement for each of the games before GT6 and yet presumably found them worthy enough as you are playing GT6. How can you not feel the difference in handling? That's the prime new feature that springs to mind straight away for me.

The Moon's addition is really no more than a gimick, I'd say though - just one of those fun quirks that PD do. The stars though fit in with the improved lighting and looks to the locales I think - but yeah, I suppose that's nothing new.

As for other points, like you said, the game will have a number of updates with more than just DLC coming to spruce up the game - I say wait for a while and maybe after six months to a year we can see if anything new has been added.

As a whole though, I like the game and what has been done with it - nor do I think it would have been possible to add any of that stuff to GT5 as a spec 3.0 (not without possibly bogging the whole down with bugs and performance issues.)
 
Pros:
Visually, slightly better.
Handling characteristics, slight improvement.

Cons:
PD being lazy and not updating cars or adding enough new ones.
Car “personalisation” not yet developed.
Track designer not yet developed.
Endurance races not yet developed.
GT6 has more glitches in it than the NATS computer software.

PD in their infinite wisdom would rather give you a new car in their DLC than fix all the bugs in their game. Wakey wakey Kaz, sort your shop out before Sony decide you’re not doing enough to pay you and your 110 staff a small fortune for a White Elephant and shut you down like Psygnosis (Liverpool Studios)
 
For me the physics and tire model are most definitely not GT 5.5. They are a pretty big upgrade from GT5. Back in the late 90's I came to GT from racing real cars, I do real events almost every weekend during our non-snow season here. Since I do a lot of instructing I also have driven many many different cars since I started, and I have a very strong background in physics from my work/schooling. So when I use a sim, it can be quite painful for me if the physics are way off or have some major non-realistic things happening. Bugs and lock up issues aside, I'm really really liking the driving in GT6 over GT5, and that was with GT5 being a huge step forward from GT4 in the physics area.

For me, the only thing that really really needs to be fixed now is that the street tires over heat and go to very low grip way too quickly/easily with any small amount of sliding. The huge grip reduction that happens in the game with sliding street tires a small amount simply is not there in real life. The race tires have this issue too in game, but they are more temperature sensitive than street tires in real life because of the adhesive part of their grip, so in GT6 they are not as far from reality in that aspect.
 
Interesting that you only really cite one or two improvement for each of the games before GT6

Having not played the an older GT version since the newer one was launched my memory of what was included when is hazy. With a longer more boring meeting I could have researched better, yes, but these are points I remembered years after last playing the old versions yet I struggle to find anything new in the game running in front of me.

and yet presumably found them worthy enough as you are playing GT6.

I don't follow what you mean. Why would I not after enjoying the 5 previous incarnations of the series? Are you so susceptible to marketing, reviews and screenshots to make a decision based on them? I would have bought GT6 if it had not been given as a present and many of the criticisms in the reviews were similar to previous criticisms in older versions and I disagreed with them after playing it. I would have bought the game anyway to be able to drive Brands Hatch and Bathurst, but after the initial fun of driving on my favourite ever tracks I'm left wondering where the innovation and fun game is to go with the driving.

How can you not feel the difference in handling? That's the prime new feature that springs to mind straight away for me.

I don't know. Maybe perfect physics is not critical to my enjoyment of the game, just as not changing each gear ratio or adjusting camber angle doesn't stop me from enjoying upgrading and tuning the cars. I'm as happy with how it drives now as I was when playing GT5/4/3/2/1 at the time. Physics are improved in every version. Maybe after 5 jumps from one GT to the next my subconscious accepts it is better or great without question. I don't drive the versions back to back so hard to compare. I can feel changes in my real car straight away but that has far more sensory input capability so I know I am not missing neural sensitivity
 
...I don't follow what you mean. Why would I not after enjoying the 5 previous incarnations of the series? Are you so susceptible to marketing, reviews and screenshots to make a decision based on them? I would have bought GT6 if it had not been given as a present and many of the criticisms in the reviews were similar to previous criticisms in older versions and I disagreed with them after playing it. I would have bought the game anyway to be able to drive Brands Hatch and Bathurst, but after the initial fun of driving on my favourite ever tracks I'm left wondering where the innovation and fun game is to go with the driving...
Merely saying that despite there being only a few (at most) differences between previous versions, that this hasn't apparently caused you to comment on those versions - so by logical extension, you were presumably happy enough with those to not comment.

Okay, I haven't followed your post history to see if that is the case, but the implication was strong in how you worded your post. So I suppose my point was, why are you making a fuss about it this time? I think several threads in the past have compared the second GT game on the two previous console versions, and it always seems to be less of a leap than the first on each generation - which fits in with your reply about the physics. For myself, I do notice a big difference between GT5 and GT6's handling - there again, my experience with the lighting and sound improvements (only partially implemented on some cars so far) has also been positive.

In effect, the changes haven't been massive, I agree...other than operational improvements such as code, UI and looks as well as handling, photomode and sounds. Whilst those might not get everyones' attention in the same way as a kick in the shins, I think it all qualifies as a positive step forward for GT...and that isn't even acknowledging the marvel of adaptive tesselation.

Personally, I never listen to the marketing but play each game as is and discover if I like it for myself.
 
Personally, I never listen to the marketing but play each game as is and discover if I like it for myself.

Exactly what I did, and I discovered it isn't as much fun as I was expecting and when analysing my feelings why, I happened to notice that there weren't many new ideas or features that improved the gameplay experience for me. Hence the OP.
 
Back