How much time do you spend?

United States
Port Washington
GTP_skeeter23
Simple question: How much time do you spend editing or shooting a photo?

I'll spend hours snapping shots but have a hard time commiting to editing shots. Essentially I'd have to choose between time in GT6 or editing so I prefer to just get good raw shots and if I need to edit do it as quickly as possible.

Curious what others do... especially for 2.0 competitions.

Like yourself, I find that editing takes gaming time away from me, so I prefer to get as good a shot as I can with the in-game camera and leave it at that.

I do have some shots that I intend to edit...but I also have more than a few from GT5 too - so you can probably guess where that intention is heading.

Last edited:
I only spend about two hours playing, so I can spend a bit of time editing. Most of the time I try to get good raw shots but I end up editing them too!

I don't spend much time editing a single photo though - I just add a few effects and that's it... But I might do (on average) 20 photos. The hours I keep play a part in this too! I'm a night-owl.

Most of my time is spent uploading the bastards! I have a temperamental (mostly mental) computer that hates uploading stuff, particularly the gif edits I do.

Editing? Only colors etc, maybe 10 minutes in lightroom, then some minor adjustments in photoshop (licenceplates and such) :)

I spend 1 or 2 laps driving - sometimes one of the Aspec races (can you say Aspec anymore?!!) if I want a fleet of similar cars..like the Historic Car Cup.I also spend a bit of time setting up the track time and weather for the best lighting.

Then I hit replay and can spend up to an hour taking shot after shot until I hit the 'zone'....thats when the more interesting shots seem to happen as you explore the shapes of the car with its surroundings. Depending on the competition, it can be done and dusted there and then for unedited shots, or its another hour sifting through and editing two or three shots out of a set of 30 or so.

Why so many shots for so few to post - for me it just seems easier to see which ones are the best ones when they are side by side each other. The duff ones are easy to spot, so they are trashed. Then the top 5 that jump out are kept. Then I edit a few until I'm done. Save the rest for a rainy day or a future comp.

I spend 1 or 2 laps driving - sometimes one of the Aspec races (can you say Aspec anymore?!!) if I want a fleet of similar cars..like the Historic Car Cup.I also spend a bit of time setting up the track time and weather for the best lighting.

Then I hit replay and can spend up to an hour taking shot after shot until I hit the 'zone'....thats when the more interesting shots seem to happen as you explore the shapes of the car with its surroundings. Depending on the competition, it can be done and dusted there and then for unedited shots, or its another hour sifting through and editing two or three shots out of a set of 30 or so.

Why so many shots for so few to post - for me it just seems easier to see which ones are the best ones when they are side by side each other. The duff ones are easy to spot, so they are trashed. Then the top 5 that jump out are kept. Then I edit a few until I'm done. Save the rest for a rainy day or a future comp.

Pretty much the same for me. :)

Tons and tons of hours, maybe too much, somebody help me!!
Normally, I have the shot in my mind before driving the car in GT6. That's because usually, my edits are for a very specific moment in time. If the background is not critical then I would do at least one lap, then take the shot at my desired angle at varying lighting positions. Later, I would choose the best shot to edit. I use my spare time at home for the editing, maybe doing 1-3 hours per night after the kids are asleep, weekends maybe a little more, some days nothing. I find time to play also, already have 100% of the trophies. I spend easily more than 25 hours for a complex edit, maybe 2 hours on research. That's why my edits are posted every 3-6 weeks.
Know any good gearhead rehab?

Last edited:
This is my process:

1.) 1-2 hours taking pics (20-60 shots). This part gets fairly boring if I don't get into "the zone" phase.

2.) 30min - 1 hour Lightroom edit; choosing the best shots (color correct, highlights & shadows, clarity etc.).

3.) 1-6 hours Photoshop edit; depends on how heavy the editing is for a particular image (blurs, toning, light play, artifact clean up etc.). My favourite part because it's where the most creative stuff happens.

4.) 5-10 min Flickr upload and hope people like it (tags, groups, sets etc.)

Last edited:
Back