How much to refuel?

colddeadhands

(Banned)
Philippines
Philippines
Hi folks! Happy Easter!

I came here out of desperation because I have lost count of how many times I’ve lost a race because of refueling my car to full unnecessarily for fear of not making it to the finish line. Some might suggest the obvious that I need to learn how to fuel save too and I agree. We have to learn that. But my problem isn’t that. I know how to fuel save but not confident enough to run with less fuel and still finish the race.

I was sitting confidently in P2 last night at one of our league races, my lead to P3 was so huge at this point, had to pit for one last time and decided to follow the broken diamond estimate on the fuel gauge so that I can finish the race. I refueled to Full tank. I got out of the pits and P3 is already next to me (this race was in Spa). So I knew right then I made a boo-boo once again.

Can anybody shed some light on how much in general should I be refueling at any given track? Let’s say for an hour race and there’s like 15 mins left, you’ve almost run out of fuel, you pitted, how much will you refuel?

Can anybody shed some light on how much in general should I be refueling at any given track? Let’s say for an hour race and there’s like 15 mins left, you’ve almost run out of fuel, you pitted, how much will you refuel?
That...doesn't make any sense. It completely depends on the car's fuel consumption, as well as the fuel consumption multiplier in the event.

Have you ever checked the car's fuel load in the HUD? You have to keep track of that to know.

The diamond will tell you how much you need to refill depending on how much you have spend on average until you entered the pits.
If you feel you are going to spend more fuel, up to 1 lap (depending on the consumption rate maybe more or less) can be worth a bit of higher rev time for acceleration, or be more gentle on the throttle and let the other guy pull you for less consumption.
This is all part of the strategy to apply and the things to estimate based on how you read the current conditions.

The diamond will tell you how much you need to refill depending on how much you have spend on average until you entered the pits.
Yes, I forgot about the diamond! It's an estimate on the minimum amount of fuel you need, based on the most recent rate of consumption.

In time based event, though, the diamond stays at 100%.

If your fuel consumption has stayed consistent throughout a race, meaning no fuel map changes, and your shift points were consistent, your calculation should be based off of how much time is left, and how fast your laps are on average.

An example I use for Spa 1 hr, 3 laps will be about 7 minutes, usually a bit less, but it could be more if the track is still damp. If I have 15 minutes left, I would put in 6 laps of fuel, as that would take me to the end of the race (usually I'm a lap ahead, so I can just wait at the finish line and not start the 7th lap).

Ye
If you feel you are going to spend more fuel, up to 1 lap (depending on the consumption rate maybe more or less) can be worth a bit of higher rev time for acceleration, or be more gentle on the throttle and let the other guy pull you for less consumption.
This is all part of the strategy to apply and the things to estimate based on how you read the current conditions.
Yes, that's how I understood the concept. But then if I followed where the diamond sits, which from all the races that I squandered, they're always on the full tank. I guess I just have to be mindful how many laps and how many minutes it took before my first pit and then use that knowledge to decide if I can still finish with less amount of fuel by just fuel saving.

In time based event, though, the diamond stays at 100%.

If your fuel consumption has stayed consistent throughout a race, meaning no fuel map changes, and your shift points were consistent, your calculation should be based off of how much time is left, and how fast your laps are on average.

An example I use for Spa 1 hr, 3 laps will be about 7 minutes, usually a bit less, but it could be more if the track is still damp. If I have 15 minutes left, I would put in 6 laps of fuel, as that would take me to the end of the race (usually I'm a lap ahead, so I can just wait at the finish line and not start the 7th lap).
Yes it's all on the 100%. Your method is I think I just have to do. Keep in mind how many laps or minutes it took before my first pit from a full tank. And then use that to gauge how much I would need to finish the race.

Yes it's all on the 100%. Your method is I think I just have to do. Keep in mind how many laps or minutes it took before my first pit from a full tank. And then use that to gauge how much I would need to finish the race.
I didnt consider the timed races in my answer, sorry.
As long as you are racing with a 1 pit strategy, you can simply "reverse" the value of fuel left and fuel consumed.
For example 40% fuel left means you have consumed 60%, so for the 2nd half of the race of course you need 60% again (slight margin of error may apply).

If it is more stops, this doesnt work as easily of course and you really have to take track of how much you need, but then it should be a reminder to stay as low as possible between each necessary stops as more fuel means more weight means slower laps.
Likely your tyres will be worn before your fuel is running low, then you can estimate it like this:
number of pits needed for tyres ->
fuel consumed from start to first stop ->
is the amount you need for all stops (if you manage to make it an even distribution of stops per duration of the event).
In a way, it is the same as the reverse I mentioned in the prior part of this comment, only you would apply it by each required stop.

Latest Posts

Back