How on Earth does one get 2500 pts. in ONE race?!

United States
Houston, TX
So, I just finished Rd. 2 in the GT Nations Cup Gr. 2 race at Interlagos, after I got ousted from a top 5 finish by having to pit TWICE because I had 0.7 of a lap worth of fuel entering the final lap of the race, forcing me to pit a 2nd time, finishing a disheartening 9th out of 17. After a 2nd place finish at the last race on Nurburgring GP, just 4 tenths from the winner after all penalties were accounted for, I wonder if my 9th place finish nearly jeopardized my season hopes. The whole ordeal completely stressed me out and I was on the verge of a mental breakdown from what happened throughout the race, and I don't feel much better after the race either.

But my main concern is, as clarified in the title, how does one get nearly 2500 pts. after just one round?? To put my confusion in perspective, my 2nd place finish on the Nurburgring GP 3 days ago only yielded me 233 pts.. I'm dying to know, because I was hoping for a potential chance to put myself in a position where I could be eligible for the live events later this year, and if that's ever going to be a possibility, however remote it might be, I NEED to know how to get those high point yields no matter the probability, and asap. If anyone can enlighten me on this, please tell me.

Thanks!

FIA event points are based on the "strength of field" - the total Driver Rating of the people in it. If you're in a race where everyone is an E driver, you'll score tens of points even for winning. If you're in a race where everyone in it is an A+ driver, you'll score thousands (I'm actually not sure what the maximum is, but I don't recall seeing 3,000+ ever in an ordinary FIA race).

To get there you'll need a high SR - maxed out at S/99 - as that's the primary factor in matchmaking, and then a high DR too. The higher the better.

mthomas actually had a room with 3010 points once, so it's possible :)

3040 actually to be pedantic ;), score still unmatched *smug face*

That was with about half the lobby at 75,000 DR, and the #20 ranked driver was around 69k. I'm guessing the limit is somewhere around 3,100.

Anything below DR A and you won't really be in lobbies which offer over 1,000 points for winning. To get Top 200 overall (and get DR S for the live finals and top 24 races) you'll need to score on average around 1,250 points a race in EMEA, 1,100 in Asia or 900 in America. The idea is that there's enough time in Season 1 & 2 for newcomers to gain DR so they can enter these high points lobbies in Season 3 which is what counts for the live finals. Basically Season 1 & 2 are glorified Test Seasons :lol:

3040 actually to be pedantic ;), score still unmatched *smug face*

That was with about half the lobby at 75,000 DR, and the #20 ranked driver was around 69k. I'm guessing the limit is somewhere around 3,100.

Anything below DR A and you won't really be in lobbies which offer over 1,000 points for winning. To get Top 200 overall (and get DR S for the live finals and top 24 races) you'll need to score on average around 1,250 points a race in EMEA, 1,100 in Asia or 900 in America. The idea is that there's enough time in Season 1 & 2 for newcomers to gain DR so they can enter these high points lobbies in Season 3 which is what counts for the live finals. Basically Season 1 & 2 are glorified Test Seasons :lol:
Ooh. Didn't know that last tidbit

This gives me hope as I'm essentially out of the competition for half the season :lol:

The whole ordeal completely stressed me out and I was on the verge of a mental breakdown from what happened throughout the race,

I respect the fact that you have established goals and are striving for greatness but you cant let it affect you like that. Do your best and the chips fall where they will. As long as you are maximizing your potential you are successful. I am never going to be fast enough to compete at the top and have less than 20 total sport wins in my career but i (try to) drive smart and stay out of trouble and rack up top 5s and for me that is a success.

Honestly, if you are in a room where you are the 16th best driver and you finish 12th then you have accomplished something. If you push yourself internally and focus on improving each sector and each lap and adjusting your brake points and shift points, as you improve the results will show.

If you are only scoring 200-ish points this close to the Final Season and Live Finals, then I'm afraid you haven't prepared well enough for this. Don't disappoint yourself by setting an impossible goal, instead try and slowly improve to put yourself in a favourable position for next year.

I started 'serious' competitive sim racing about 15 months ago and sucked... bad. It took me a year of pretty intense practice and self improvement to even get close to Alien pace and I still have lots to learn.

Trying to crunch that into a month period to desperately make the live finals is impossible. All the top runners are generally very experienced.

If you are only scoring 200-ish points this close to the Final Season and Live Finals, then I'm afraid you haven't prepared well enough for this. Don't disappoint yourself by setting an impossible goal, instead try and slowly improve to put yourself in a favourable position for next year.

I started 'serious' competitive sim racing about 15 months ago and sucked... bad. It took me a year of pretty intense practice and self improvement to even get close to Alien pace and I still have lots to learn.

Trying to crunch that into a month period to desperately make the live finals is impossible. All the top runners are generally very experienced.
Very very true.

Practice makes perfect.
When I was playing Driveclub before GTS came out, I mastered one track and I started aiming for World Records.
It took me a lot of tries (and rage too) in order to get there, but that feeling for getting a smooth perfect lap is priceless!

Now on GTS, I'm even winning high class players with only a controller.

So my experienced advice is: Never give up.
I have learnt to never give up, instead practice more and more after each fail.
The fact that others have expensive full-setups doesn't make them pro.
Money doesn't buy skill.

*I was DR: B SR:S and went down to D, D from only one Daily Race.
I said a big no to myself, and the next day I got 10k DR in total. Went back to B, S in one day.
I was getting only wins.

Believe in yourself and you will see that you are able to achieve things you never imagined you would.

Back