How rain will affect lap times

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTP_RainMan
  • 25 comments
  • 2,849 views
Messages
33
Messages
GTP_RainMan
If you listen to the commentary, you'll quickly find out that the physics calculations on a wet track are completely different than that of a dry track.

If it's implemented in the up coming title, I'll be more than happy; If not, I wouldn't be surprised.

One thing for sure, if this IS implemented in the game correctly GT5 will be in a league of it's own.
 
The laws of physics do not change, it's all about how the forces are applied between the tyres and the ground, there are some other variables to take into account when it's wet though but I think KY has said that it's all done with a single physics engine. With the level of detail of the track surface in the TT demo it's not outside the possibilities to think that there might be the areas/patches of standing water mentioned in that video so it's not just a constant reduction in grip to simulate wet track but who knows?
 
Last edited:
You can say the same for dirt to road (rally) and grass to road, so I don't think so. I think it can still be done under 1 physics engine like Kaz says.

Then again, I don't know much about programming.
 
GT4 has wet track condition in one of the mission test I think. So I don't see why it would be too difficult to do. It would be the live dynamic weather option where it would really be amazing feat for PD in GT5.
 
GT4 has wet track condition in one of the mission test I think. So I don't see why it would be too difficult to do. It would be the live dynamic weather option where it would really be amazing feat for PD in GT5.

That's exactly where a single physics engine that could deal with varying conditions would be useful. Having a single physics engine capable of that but not using it would be wasteful.
 
Also day to night changes affect air tempretures etc (hint air density in intakes), so would be a waste not to include that too.
 
Ohhhh man, i thought theres a new interview with new infos about the rain system. 8/
Bad thread title for the lose.
 
Also day to night changes affect air tempretures etc (hint air density in intakes), so would be a waste not to include that too.

If temp/density was taken account of in modelling turbos and intercoolers (I don't know if it is) then that would be no additional problem.

It all depends on how much detail they've gone into, too much detail like that could cause the handling of a car to vary quite a lot from race to race with the same car/track selection which a lot of gamers might not like.
 
The laws of physics do not change, it's all about how the forces are applied between the tyres and the ground, there are some other variables to take into account when it's wet though but I think KY has said that it's all done with a single physics engine. With the level of detail of the track surface in the TT demo it's not outside the possibilities to think that there might be the areas/patches of standing water mentioned in that video so it's not just a constant reduction in grip to simulate wet track but who knows?
To be fair, he said that the physics calculations are different (which is true), not that the laws of physics change...

I'm sure that with a wet track you'll get different handling according to the conditions. Whether it's all done in one physics engine, or a different physics engine for dry, wet, gravel etc., I care not.
 
It all depends on how much detail they've gone into, too much detail like that could cause the handling of a car to vary quite a lot from race to race with the same car/track selection which a lot of gamers might not like.
Pff, thats why there are the "Standard" physics.
 
To be fair, he said that the physics calculations are different (which is true), not that the laws of physics change...

I'm sure that with a wet track you'll get different handling according to the conditions. Whether it's all done in one physics engine, or a different physics engine for dry, wet, gravel etc., I care not.

How do you know that's true?

If you alter the weight of the car or the weight distribution you alter the handling, it's the same physics that deals with those changing conditions.

Same goes for RWD,FWD,AWD, tyre type, track/offtrack surface, changing suspension, etc.

It's the same physics calcs that deal with going from tarmac to grass or gravel in the TT demo so why not the same for a wet surface?
 
Yep, just drive on the yellow painted stripes in the TT, they already programmed different surfaces and actually the grass in the TT already behaves like its wet. :lol:
 
Pff, thats why there are the "Standard" physics.

The thing is though that there will be players wanting to use pro physics but don't want to be setting up the car for the unique conditions of every individual race other than something like wet or dry settings. KY/PD/Sony are making this a game for the masses and while I know it's been said that some features have been added for the requests of some minorities they will have to draw a line somewhere and that depends on the developers views and capabilities with the machine.
 
Wet weather in GT5 will be so complicated. If anyone can do it, it has to be PD though.

So what could we expect? Light intensity changes? Reduced visibility? Standing water on track? Spray from car infront? Window wipers? Slipery surfaces? Pit stops? Tire changes? Red flags? Rainbows?:sly:

Wet weather would certainly bring a new dynamic to GT.. And as good as it may be, imagine it starting to rain JUST as you pass the pit entrance!:scared:. Yarrgg!!!
 
Maybe all the tracks should be unlocked already, in arcade mode.Also allow the computer, to fine tune most or all of the mechanical, suspension & braking components for each track.I don't know difficult that would be to make possible.For race cars, a sort of default setting i guess is used in real life.For modified road cars, that would prove more difficult as each car almost never share all the same upgraded components (unless they are all 3.0ltr TT Supras racing together).
 
The title of this thread is pretty mis-leading.
 
I was going to make a new thread on this, but I guess it's a bit late now :)

On the topic of the video, as you see the skoda goes from 14 seconds slower on a dry track, to 2 seconds slower on a wet one.

I was playing GT4 last night because I wanted to see the wet track again and get see how it felt after all that time. My car was a '00 Subaru sti spec wagon with no mods. The first race was up against a similar Evo model. And I won.

The second race was with a Callaway C12. And I won by more than I did against the evo. This got me thinking that, if dynamic weather is interpreted in the final game. Races can not only be won by speed, setups and skill. But by car choice.

Imagine a typical F430 scud vs. Gallardo LP560-4 race. If it rained down mid race, that all wheel drive lambo would surely be more stable and much easier to drive than the rear drive Fezza. Which in turn would have more players driving the Lambo than the Ferrari from the very start of the race, because in the dry the Lamb would still be a competitive car.

This would send PD to a new height above all others for total experience. Now i'm not saying the Scud couldn't win in the wet, just that all the power in the rear would surely make it more of a challenge to drive and become successful in.

Then again, you could just choose a Skoda...
 
How do you know that's true?

If you alter the weight of the car or the weight distribution you alter the handling, it's the same physics that deals with those changing conditions.

Same goes for RWD,FWD,AWD, tyre type, track/offtrack surface, changing suspension, etc.

It's the same physics calcs that deal with going from tarmac to grass or gravel in the TT demo so why not the same for a wet surface?


lol. seriously lol.


you're confusing physics and car behaviour/handling

grass, water, what's changing is the coefficient of friction (from 0.8 to what, under 0.3 probably). Water can't affect anything else than the 4 contact point with the car : TYRES
 
lol. seriously lol.


you're confusing physics and car behaviour/handling

grass, water, what's changing is the coefficient of friction (from 0.8 to what, under 0.3 probably). Water can't affect anything else than the 4 contact point with the car : TYRES

lol. seriously lol.
 
Last edited:
Yep, just drive on the yellow painted stripes in the TT, they already programmed different surfaces and actually the grass in the TT already behaves like its wet. :lol:

naaah grass on gt5tt behaves like its pure ice :dopey:
 
i will not even finish a single lap if rain is added to TT physics :=)
 
lol. seriously lol.

i'm a car engineer. that video is at MIRA, warwickshire, i've worked there in decembre and you're mocking me ? so after that car with cockpit view thing, that rally sticker thing, retards on this site still think they're right. sad

rain affects handling, not 'physics calculations'
 
i'm a car engineer. That video is at mira, warwickshire, i've worked there in decembre and you're mocking me ? So after that car with cockpit view thing, that rally sticker thing, retards on this site still think they're right. Sad

rain affects handling, not 'physics calculations'

lmao!

EDIT: And I have no idea what the cockpit view thing and sticker thing are about.
 
Last edited:
lol. seriously lol.


you're confusing physics and car behaviour/handling

grass, water, what's changing is the coefficient of friction (from 0.8 to what, under 0.3 probably). Water can't affect anything else than the 4 contact point with the car : TYRES

I think what he meant is that you're using the same calculations, it's just the parameters that change.

You're arguing with the wrong poster.
 
Back