How realistic is the suspension model?

• Thread starter Gregow
  • 3 comments
Sweden
Sweden
I’m curious, if anyone happens to know, how realistic the suspension model is?

Is suspension geometry realistically modeled and based on different types and geometry depending on car model?

For example, will a car with McPherson struts react like a real car would if you make the corresponding setup changes?

I’m curious, if anyone happens to know, how realistic the suspension model is?

Is suspension geometry realistically modeled and based on different types and geometry depending on car model?

For example, will a car with McPherson struts react like a real car would if you make the corresponding setup changes?

The physics engine has its roots in ISIMotor2, This modeled double wishbone suspension and 4 link live rear axles. You can use double wishbone links to properly model trailing and semi-trailing arms. You can approximate a MacPherson strut. If SMS have added any suspension types, my guess is MacPherson strut would be top of the list.

SMS certainly try to get suspension data from manufacturers or from the car itself. So I would think most are accurate but there will be instances where they don't have the data.

The swing-arm rear suspension of the M-B W194 300SL appears to camber the wheels accurately. I've also observed a noticeable positive scrub radius on the front wheels of the 911 Carrera RSR 2.8, which I believe is accurate to that car.

Back