How the fantasy race cars in Gran Turismo are made/designed ?

Greece
Crete
maxresdefault.jpg

Has anyone wondered how the fictional race cars in Gran Turismo are made/designed ? Sure , some cars may have been inspired by real life race cars (The Honda NSX Gr.3 in GT Sport and the Jaguar XJ220 LM race car to name a few) but what about cars without a real-life counterpart like the Camaro LM race car and the SLS Gr.4 ? Tell me what you think down in the comments.

The same way I'm designing my RX-7 . Add Race parts / remove parts / cut panels off / add panels .
I'm currently designing a custom front air dam since they are NLA .
Just ordered a Mariah widebody kit .
Custom IMSA inspired wing etc .
PD probably does the exact same . Starts with the base car and adds the required race spec parts . Obviously they are fictional , but half of my set up is custom so PD is technically just making custom built parts .

I wish GTS had the Tuning Store.

As in classic GTs, we could turn any car into Gr. 4.

It would be perfect!

I do not like GVT. I think exaggerated! Douchebag cars! It looks like cyberpunk movie cars!

However, I think very valid fictitious cars of Gr. 3, like a Beetle and Mustang.

In Gr. 1, fictional cars LMP1 could also be added. They would be much more attractive than cyberpunks VGTs.

I wish GTS had the Tuning Store.

As in classic GTs, we could turn any car into Gr. 4.

It would be perfect!

I do not like GVT. I think exaggerated! Douchebag cars! It looks like cyberpunk movie cars!

However, I think very valid fictitious cars of Gr. 3, like a Beetle and Mustang.

In Gr. 1, fictional cars LMP1 could also be added. They would be much more attractive than cyberpunks VGTs.

I genuinely think the Mazda VGT is a gorgeous car . So is the SRT Tomahawk .

If in the next GT we get the ability to turn most road cars into GR4 cars, id rather they just make the GR4 version of said car instead of a racing mod option so to speak.

If in the next GT we get the ability to turn most road cars into GR4 cars, id rather they just make the GR4 version of said car instead of a racing mod option so to speak.
Theoretically, you could build up to a race mod by completing a parts checklist EG roll cage, splitters/ hood scoops etc.

The SLS GT4 might be fictional, but there is a real life AMG GT4 now. I'd like to see it in an update as well as the R8 GT4.
Jaguar also brings an F-Type GT4, which is looking very similar to the GTS one though.

Theoretically, you could build up to a race mod by completing a parts checklist EG roll cage, splitters/ hood scoops etc.

Yeah I get ya, instead of having the GR4 car made separate you can build it yourself by completing races and earning money etc. As long as all the cars are balanced like in GT Sport it could work.

The entire career mode needs a massive overhaul in GT anyway, something like the TOCA Race Driver series would be so much better. Ever since GT5 the career mode has been very redundant and stuck in the PS1 era more or less, it worked back then but technology and consoles are so much better we need something more involving, like real life championships or structured careers.

It's quite easy for them to do, they have access to the real models that they put in game so they know how a real race car is made up, they also have the performance figures so they know what kinda performance they can get based on what they are doing.

I also don't get peoples hate for VGT, all of them were designed by car manufacturers with viable perpolsion options barring the Chevy with it's laser thingamajig. The Red bulls we're designed by one of the best aerodynamacyst in F1

The SLS GT4 might be fictional, but there is a real life AMG GT4 now. I'd like to see it in an update as well as the R8 GT4.
Jaguar also brings an F-Type GT4, which is looking very similar to the GTS one though.
How about also using the proper McLaren GT4 car, the 570S instead of a 650S?

The C6 was a GT4 car. I wonder what decision they make or manufacturer input is given, when designing each car. Did Chevrolet want the C7 showcased over the Camaro GT4? While though the game was delayed, there was a Camaro GT4 already racing in Europe. This new Camaro GT4.R, must have been on the cards to be in the game. May have been a case of the C7 was in development and PD didn't have the time. Those are the kinds of choices i wonder about.

Then, I see the F-Type. May seem natural to get permission to make it as a Gr.4, but as mentioned, PD would have access to all kinds of info from the manufacturer. Kaz must have seen the GT4 prototype.

The Bugatti and Citroen. Why not ask those brand's design team, to make an actual Gr.4 car. Not detuned versions of what we have. That's what the VGT is mainly about right? Being creative. Just make a mini Veyron, just like the 570S is a "smaller" 650S. Again, things I wonder about.

The C6 was a GT4 car. I wonder what decision they make or manufacturer input is given, when designing each car. Did Chevrolet want the C7 showcased over the Camaro GT4? While though the game was delayed, there was a Camaro GT4 already racing in Europe. This new Camaro GT4.R, must have been on the cards to be in the game. May have been a case of the C7 was in development and PD didn't have the time. Those are the kinds of choices i wonder about.
Same with McLaren in that they reused the 650S instead of the real life 570S GT4 car. I'm pretty sure it debuted near the end of 2016 but being in talks with the company since they make a video game you'd think they could have access to it. The AMG GT4 and Audi R8 GT4 may be too new though since they just started this year.

Same with McLaren in that they reused the 650S instead of the real life 570S GT4 car. I'm pretty sure it debuted near the end of 2016 but being in talks with the company since they make a video game you'd think they could have access to it. The AMG GT4 and Audi R8 GT4 may be too new though since they just started this year.
True, but then why not a Gr.4 R8? Are Audi happy about that choice? Or was it PD feeling 3 fwd cars, balanced the 3 Gr.4 awd 4-doors? However, the AMG Gt has been out for some time. The SLS is a reused model. Was it too much or not enough time, to "tune" the in-game AMG GT road car? I think that's a 2015 model.

PD will probably add in existing vehicles as grade 4 cars in the future
Gr4 Xbow
skyline R34
R8
etc

I'm noticing a good amount of the cars PD has added in are in fact Touring / RM cars ..

The RX-7
All skylines

They can just update thoes models

IMO, in either this game or the next, they should retcon all the RMs, LM Race Cars, and Touring Cars to all just be RMs, so that regardless of whether you respectively own a Suzuki Cappuccino, a Jaguar XJ220, or a Toyota Prius Mk.III, they all could be modified into a homologated racing version, where all of these could compete in a category somewhat similar to GT Sport's Gr.4, or if necessary, a separate class (or set of classes). It'd feel more like you're upgrading these various road cars, rather than treating some of these race cars as separate entities and only truly upgrading some of 'em. Something more in-line with the mindset that led to Kaz picking that nice-looking modded Honda Civic at the latest iteration of SEMA.

View attachment 716259

Has anyone wondered how the fictional race cars in Gran Turismo are made/designed ? Sure , some cars may have been inspired by real life race cars (The Honda NSX Gr.3 in GT Sport and the Jaguar XJ220 LM race car to name a few) but what about cars without a real-life counterpart like the Camaro LM race car and the SLS Gr.4 ? Tell me what you think down in the comments.

I think PD tries to capture the spirit/philosophy behind every series and use it to create something as realistic as possible. From that point of view, I'd say they did a good job with the Gr.4/Gr.3 cars in GTS. They look like they were made by the manufacturers themselves.

On a related note: I prefer this approach over the "throw some parts on it and call it a race car" mentality. A car could look like a racer from the outside but it's never complete without proper, racing interiors.

Agreed. Some fictional LMPs that resemble actual, modern prototypes (like the RWD in PCARS) would have been welcome.

Plenty of questions to be asked. What kind of licencing does PD hold with manufacturers? If PD has a tight relationship with manufacturers, why not use the official cars?

Was the FIA consulted in regards to class structure? Was homologation an issue?

When looking at Gr4, that class SC is more Group A/C touring cars. AWD 2door sedans, sport coupes, 4door sedans.

Now I wonder if the Gr.3 Lancer and WRX were designed with GT300 in mind. they both look straight out of "modern"(in this decade anyway) Super GT.

subaru-legacy-b4.jpg

2011_mayo_chiki__subaru_konoe_legacy_b4_gt300_by_shanaxtaiga-d52l6tr.jpg

Now I wonder if the Gr.3 Lancer and WRX were designed with GT300 in mind. they both look straight out of "modern"(in this decade anyway) Super GT.

Maybe if Lotus could have stuck around longer than the closed beta there would be a Lotus Gr.3 not too dissimilar to the actual Lotus GT300 machine.

upmc300.jpg

The SLS is a reused model. Was it too much or not enough time, to "tune" the in-game AMG GT road car?
When they unveiled the game in London back in 2015 , they had already developed the SLS Gr.4 (i think some of the first screenshots included that car) so when the AMG GT4 came out they were probably like "we have already a GT4 car for Mercedes so why bother" . I think the same could be applied for the 650S Gr.4

Maybe if Lotus could have stuck around longer than the closed beta there would be a Lotus Gr.3 not too dissimilar to the actual Lotus GT300 machine.

upmc300.jpg
To be clear, I

Completely off-the-wall thinking from me, but it's as if the Alfa 4C filled the Evora's role. No doubt, different manufacturer. Has nothing to do with why they'd exclude the Evora. To be clear, I'm just feeling a certain way when i see the Gr.4 Alfa. Nearly similar, when comparing the Elise RM in its class, in GT6. We'll see. Maybe PD have the Evora GT300(Gr.3) coming in an update.

When they unveiled the game in London back in 2015 , they had already developed the SLS Gr.4 (i think some of the first screenshots included that car) so when the AMG GT4 came out they were probably like "we have already a GT4 car for Mercedes so why bother" . I think the same could be applied for the 650S Gr.4
I cvan see that. However, when I saw hints of the the F-Type Gr.3, i thought, "Hold on... if PD can think of this, why can't Jaguar?". PD even made a Gr.4 car and Jag revealed theirs. Keep in mind GTS being delayed.

Sure, it's not like the M6 with a "GTE" and "GT3" version. Just thinking why the "go" button wasn't activated, to create with the AMG GT Gr.4. After all, the trouble to have Lewis Hamilton along with the AMG GT as the cover car, using the SLS Gr.4, counters the hype.

Back