How the hell will this work?

• Thread starter Mike_grpA
  • 13 comments
Australia
Tasmania, AU
stigsdaddy
I am of course talking about the new tyre rules for 2016. How the hell are they going to work in the next F1 game?

Surely being the official, licenced F1 game, it will have to have proper official rules, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle this mess of rules the FIA have introduced for this year lol.

From a technical point of view it wouldn't be too difficult to implement this. It would be harder to make the player understand the theory and make a strategic choice, but I guess they could make it an option to let the game suggest a selection for you. I also think it's something that you as a player would get a better understanding of after a couple of races when you see how it works out.

From a technical point of view it wouldn't be too difficult to implement this. It would be harder to make the player understand the theory and make a strategic choice, but I guess they could make it an option to let the game suggest a selection for you. I also think it's something that you as a player would get a better understanding of after a couple of races when you see how it works out.
That's my thought too really. The first season would be a learning curve really, trying to plan in advance will be difficult

Yeah, I know that technically they could put the tyre rules in the game, but if they do allow the player to choose, it'll be funny to see how they go about explaining how the tyre rules work lol.

The rules are actually pretty simple if you present them correctly. All teams get one prime and two options. They must use the primes, but are free to pick one option.

No doubt some creative licence would be needed, because teams must make their selections early to allow Pirelli enough time to manufact them, and expecting players to make that selection themselves would be difficult.

The simplest solution would be to give players a strategy selection screen, mapping out the permutations and combinations of tyre choices. Some kind of visual reference would be needed. We have already seen supplementary graphics in the races comparing drivers' pit stops and tyre selections, so it wouldn't be hard to incorporate something similar when you're sitting in the garage during free practice.

Amazing video. Made me understand alot more about the tyres this year.
Would be interesting to see how Codemasters will fit these new rules in F1 2016. I am looking forward to making different strategies with the compounds.

Seeing how the strategies have played out with these new tyre rules so far this year, I'm excited to see how Codies implements it. If implemented well, it could bring a new strategic element to the game, making the races even less predictable.

I imagine that it would just be a set of slider bars that you adjust before the race, probably with some input from the team as to what tyres are suitable for the circuit. I know that the teams pick their tyres months in advance, but that's only because Pirelli need time to manufact the tyres.

That's my thought too really. The first season would be a learning curve really, trying to plan in advance will be difficult

I think it would be fine so long as they implement a feature where by the pit engineer gives you a recommendation prior to each race as to which tyres to use (based on track surface, weather etc.) and then you can vary the strategy from there

I think it would be fine so long as they implement a feature where by the pit engineer gives you a recommendation prior to each race as to which tyres to use (based on track surface, weather etc.) and then you can vary the strategy from there
That will be difficult then, as I find 'Jeff' quite useless, always yelling at him for the correct information.

'Sorry, can you repeat that?'

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :lol:

That will be difficult then, as I find 'Jeff' quite useless, always yelling at him for the correct information.

'Sorry, can you repeat that?'

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :lol:

Lol, good old Jeff. "Sorry, there's some static on the radio". Sure there is mate. I had him asking me to repeat myself over and over one of the first times I played the game, and I ended up getting on the radio and saying "You're a **** wit mate", to which he replied "Understood". Not sure what he thought I said, but his response made me laugh so hard I crashed :lol:

Lol, good old Jeff. "Sorry, there's some static on the radio". Sure there is mate. I had him asking me to repeat myself over and over one of the first times I played the game, and I ended up getting on the radio and saying "You're a **** wit mate", to which he replied "Understood". Not sure what he thought I said, but his response made me laugh so hard I crashed :lol:
I've called him so many things. I spent ages asking him the gap to the car behind. He completely ignored me, and finally said 'understood'. So why won't you tell me :lol:

We should have a designated thread all for Jeff :P

I've called him so many things. I spent ages asking him the gap to the car behind. He completely ignored me, and finally said 'understood'. So why won't you tell me :lol:

We should have a designated thread all for Jeff :P

He understands my commands mostly to be fair to him, but the one which he literally never understands, which was the one that led me to get frustrated with him, was "full race update". I eventually discovered it was my Aussie accent he was struggling with. The other commands were fine 90% of the time, but "full race update" never worked, until I tried saying it in an exaggerated pommy accent. Think Murray Walker, and you get the idea. Every time I said it in my Murray voice, he understood right away. Needless to say, the Mrs thought I was going mad yelling "FULL RACE UPDATE" at the TV in an overly excited pommy accent lol.

Back