• Thread starter RacinLei
  • 11 comments

RacinLei

(Banned)
Germany
Germany
Leiwulong
Long story hopefully short 😉

Big problem of the ps5 is the 32gb Hdmi bandwidth limit that put 120fps games into yuv 4:2:2 HDR. Technical a 8bit SDR Signal in a 10bit HDR container, due to the fake HDR that turns off the HDR tonemap on the tv/display cause washed out colour and crushed picture due to the now wrong and to high ps5 HDR adjustment.

What does 120fps in GT7?

it reduce internal the resolution to 1080p (iguess) And checkeboard/upscale it to 4k and due to the limit of 32gb hdmi we get 4k/120hz-yuv4:2:2 HDR video output. That results in not good looking colours and HDR performance, on top of it, it looks like Antialiasing is nearly turned off, overall a not good tradeoff for 120fps…

Solution

To get the best out of the 120hz performance and still keep full RGB/HDR intact

First of all set youre ps5 to a fix 1080p output resolution (Settings/screen and video) turn on 120hz and Vrr. Now set the ps5 to default mode in the setting/game Preset menu to avoid the Gt7-120fps toggle bug. Turn on the game and set it to framerate mode (solid 120fps) or resolution mode (60-110fps)

Now the magic happens due to the fixed video output resolution of 1080p it requier less bandwidth on the HDMI and can use the full RGB/HDR in 120hz. On top of that the tv is still able to use its own HDR tonemap function and Hgig. No washed out or crushed picture, no readjust for HDR no/less crayed out picture settings on tv. Plus the ps5 have more Cpu/Gpu headroom and during race it stays locked 120hz. Or you set to ingame resolution mode but then the fps are hovering arround 60-110fps during race and replays.

Now its a thing how good your tv/display is in terms of upscaling, in that case, it sometimes looks better then the checkerboard solution. And Yes, it will look a bit softer but it is a good trade for performance orianted, but still keep the goods from HDR.

Now its on Sony to update the ps5 HDMI to 40gb so we reach nativ 10bitHDR support During 4k/120hz.

Have Fun \(._.)/

Last edited:
Thanks. I will try this. Is the downgrade noticeable?

I running at 120hz 4k now with VRR and the image quality and colours seem fine (the samish as 4k 60hz).

Thanks. I will try this. Is the downgrade noticeable?

I running at 120hz 4k now with VRR and the image quality and colours seem fine (the samish as 4k 60hz).
Less then the internal solution i would say.
Yuv4:2:2 is not looking that bad but it looses the impact in color pop and HDR performance. Is the same like ps4pro. Resolution set to auto results in 4k/60hz yuv 4:2:2. set the ps4 to 1080p fix and you get RGB/HDR 60hz

On my TV (LG C1) it looks way way way better leaving the PS5 set at 4k in the menu. It's a blurry pixelated mess if I set the internal resolution to 1080p.
full RGB is barely noticeable if you also calibrate the 120hz mode on your tv. I have the same TV 48 inch, and it looks so good I won't change it

I couldn't feel a difference in 120hz mode. That's not to say I'm immune, WRC10 in 120hz mode felt noticeably smoother than 60, but I'm not getting that same feeling in GT. I'll stick to 60fps and better fidelity

On my TV (LG C1) it looks way way way better leaving the PS5 set at 4k in the menu. It's a blurry pixelated mess if I set the internal resolution to 1080p.
full RGB is barely noticeable if you also calibrate the 120hz mode on your tv. I have the same TV 48 inch, and it looks so good I won't change it
I also have the LG C1 (55")
When I set the frame rate in game to 120fps as long as I leave it on resolution/ray tracing priority I can't say I notice much difference at all in terms of graphical quality and colour, on the main menu/map page when I switch the frame rate between 60 & 120fps I struggle to see any difference at all, even though I can see the tv switch between RGB 12bit & 8Bit 4:2:2 (press the green button several times to pull up a little panel that shows instant fps & signal data)
When set to 120fps with resolution/ray tracing priority, during gameplay I can't see any real deteriation in graphical quality, the frame rate will vary between 65/70 to 100/110fps and the game looks smoother as a result.
When set to 120fps with performace/fps as the priority it's a whole different story, solid 120fps but when it comes to the graphics it looks like I've gone back to GT4 on a PS2, truly shocking! :lol:

No way I’m setting PS5 to 1080p on a Sony A95K QD-OLED lol, stick with 4K/60 Frame/Res option. GT7 120 looks like dog ****, all the fidelity is gone.

No way I’m setting PS5 to 1080p on a Sony A95K QD-OLED lol, stick with 4K/60 Frame/Res option. GT7 120 looks like dog ****, all the fidelity is gone.
Sure it looks dog**** in 120fps if you leave priority set to performance/fps

I would be interested to see how it differs on your tv when switching between 60 & 120fps with priority set to resolution/ray tracing?

I honestly don't see much,if any, difference.

I also have the LG C1 (55")
When I set the frame rate in game to 120fps as long as I leave it on resolution/ray tracing priority I can't say I notice much difference at all in terms of graphical quality and colour, on the main menu/map page when I switch the frame rate between 60 & 120fps I struggle to see any difference at all, even though I can see the tv switch between RGB 12bit & 8Bit 4:2:2 (press the green button several times to pull up a little panel that shows instant fps & signal data)
When set to 120fps with resolution/ray tracing priority, during gameplay I can't see any real deteriation in graphical quality, the frame rate will vary between 65/70 to 100/110fps and the game looks smoother as a result.
When set to 120fps with performace/fps as the priority it's a whole different story, solid 120fps but when it comes to the graphics it looks like I've gone back to GT4 on a PS2, truly shocking! :lol:

This guy has it 100% correct. This is the ONLY way to use the 120fps mode. Prioritize Resolution and 120fps. You get a much higher frame rate often above 100fps but without sacrificing detail. If gtplanet.net makes a guide this needs to be in it.

Back