How to access the game files?

• Thread starter Shahar
  • 7 comments
Israel
Israel
I am a computer science student and I want to look "under the hood" of GT3.
To make it clear, I want to do this just for learning, not for modding or anything like that ( Also my PS2 is dead for years now).
I want to access the GT3 files. How can I do that?

Last edited:
Putting it in a PC should work.

Tried with an old Spyro game and there's just 5 files sitting there. Can't seem to open any even in 7-Zip to dig for media files etc.

I'm interested too now, I want to look for hidden stuff for the research thread. Xenn or one of the others on that thread should know.

I thought maybe the reason I couldn't open them was because 7-Zip didn't want to open inside the files straight off the disk. I thought if I copied them to my PC it might work, but I think that'd be illegal, or does it count as a backup copy?

Last edited:
Putting it in a PC should work.

Tried with an old Spyro game and there's just 5 files sitting there. Can't seem to open any even in 7-Zip to dig for media files etc.

I'm interested too now, I want to look for hidden stuff for the research thread. Xenn or one of the others on that thread should know.

I thought maybe the reason I couldn't open them was because 7-Zip didn't want to open inside the files straight off the disk. I thought if I copied them to my PC it might work, but I think that'd be illegal, or does it count as a backup copy?

I can access the disk content, the problem is that it is just mechine code.

Then I don't think you can unless you can find a PS2 code reader program.

I just remembered the vol extractor, but I don't think it'll let you see the code, just the media files.

A lot of the game's code is viewable using typical file viewers like HxD.

At first glance it may not be understandable, so you'll want to view them in a 8 byte layout. This is because certain values in the game use 8 digit codes like the various car parts in the game.

A lot of the game's code is viewable using typical file viewers like HxD.

At first glance it may not be understandable, so you'll want to view them in a 8 byte layout. This is because certain values in the game use 8 digit codes like the various car parts in the game.

Thanks.This is how to open the .vol tile, correct?

You will need a .VOL file extractor first.

You can grab GTFSE to unpack the entire .VOL file then use the file viewer of your choice to explore the files extracted.

You will need a .VOL file extractor first.

You can grab GTFSE to unpack the entire .VOL file then use the file viewer of your choice to explore the files extracted.

Could you explain this stuff a bit more?
I'm new to GT modifing. I can't understand the data also at 8 byte layout (I'm not sure what to look for).
I want to get to the physics model and the cars. But for what I know the best I can get to is assembly code, correct?

Back