• 11 comments

Sphinx

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
England
GTP_Sphinx
How to Convert Raw Replay Files to the .Max Format

Introduction:
Recently some members have been having problems with their Datel software refusing to convert their replay files to .max. This simple tutorial is a workaround that will help them to convert the raw replay files to the required .max format that the AR Max software refuses to do.. Once you have mastered this, it will only take a maximum of 5 minutes to convert.

Required Tools:
Download: PS2SaveBuilder

Step One:
Open the folder that contains the files and open the Ps2savebuilder.

h9QLz2yr-7lbMPFrfDn6hFQqXM9klqe-01F4.jpg

Step Two:
In the ps2savebuilder, got to 'Edit' and select 'Add Files'.

Z5vrquQDb63XUpexfrX+voIQ8y5wd33I01F4.jpg

Step Three:
The files that are to be added to the ps2savebuilder need to be added in a certain order.

Therefore, the first file that needs to be added is the file that starts with either 'BESCES' or 'BASCUS'.

BESCES = PAL Users
BASCUS = NTSC Users

aCddJAjQwQxbwrhhfGrjL93XnLBySsVq01F4.jpg

Step Four:
Now add the 'icon.sys' file.

UfbS-cnfTeo9vCb144QhzpN6yOsda8LQ01F4.jpg

Step Five:
Now add the 'icon0.ico' file.

45ql2iKI8SRrVDGqW4WMsAjpYA7W5o0601F4.jpg

Step Six:
Now add the 'thumbnail' file.

w+Cz2P8o7BxoyU494t9gVa5zIl1sADfK01F4.jpg

Step Seven:
Once all the files have been added you should check to see if you have all the files in the correct order as shown in this section.

qmvg1QLB1iYyF0V0wfXJAl9YVDGNeUvw01F4.jpg

Step Eight:
The next step is to give the 'Root/ID the correct name. As you can see from the above ps2savebuilder image that the Root/ID is currently empty. The name that the Root/ID requires is the exact name as the BESCES or BASCUS file that we added earlier. To do this I simply right click the BESCES or BASCUS file and select 'Rename', copy it, and then paste it into the Root/ID textbox in the ps2savebuilder.

PY-XhoGjpMdcFDkqTSQlSdnWVym4LWUy01F4.jpg

ZWXnBc1z5g+FKp1ieWXsA3ybxyVhthZa01F4.jpg

Step Nine:
All that is left is to create the .max file from the files that we just added to the ps2savebuilder. To do this go to 'File' and select 'Save As' in the ps2savebuilder, then the Save As dialogue box will appear. Simply select a destination, name the file to anything you wish, and then select the 'Save As' file format to .max.

2qWV9gvcUV5HIadFaDaulUiMuVzPYWU901FD.jpg

Max conversion Complete:

Uc015oB5xLOaEE9678b3edncr-frOG1O01F4.jpg

Enjoy.

Nice easy instructions! and all with great step by step pics .. surely nobody can go wrong with these :dopey:

Great work and effort Jerry! .. Thanks :cheers:

Thank You, Sphinx.

I know this will help me and a lot of others in the future as the Datel software that people are getting lately won't finsh the job.
Looks like you made it simple enough for even me. I'm going to go through the process now as I already have the savebuilder software from you also.:cool:
Would it be a good idea to link the PS2 Save Builder in this tutorial or the thread for people in the future that don't have it yet and don't bother to search for it and ask anyway ?
Thanks,
Kenny

Great work and effort Jerry! .. Thanks :cheers:

Thanks, Ron.

Thank You, Sphinx.

You're welcome.

Would it be a good idea to link the PS2 Save Builder in this tutorial or the thread for people in the future that don't have it yet and don't bother to search for it and ask anyway ?

It is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Link to the PS2SaveBuilder added to 1st post.

Er, I've got a problem. I run Linux. I tried running the PS2 Save Builder under WINE windows emulator, but to no avail.

On a similar note, I personally think that since the number of GT fans who own PS3s is increasing, wouldn't it be easier to just use the raw replay data? As long as the replay checker has a PS3 and a storage device which he/she can use to transfer the submitted replays from his/her PC to his/her PS3, it wouldn't be any more difficult...

Er, I've got a problem. I run Linux. I tried running the PS2 Save Builder under WINE windows emulator, but to no avail.

On a similar note, I personally think that since the number of GT fans who own PS3s is increasing, wouldn't it be easier to just use the raw replay data? As long as the replay checker has a PS3 and a storage device which he/she can use to transfer the submitted replays from his/her PC to his/her PS3, it wouldn't be any more difficult...

I don't know about your Linux difficulties, you are having replay problems?

You have a good point there about the ps3.

Even if it only for a short time until gt4 is upgraded to gt5, it may be a good way to work out any early bugs with the ps3 replay.
However the replay viewer will need to be able to have the gt4 disc operate on the ps3. Mine does not.
Good suggestion. 👍

I don't know about your Linux difficulties, you are having replay problems?

You have a good point there about the ps3.

Even if it only for a short time until gt4 is upgraded to gt5, it may be a good way to work out any early bugs with the ps3 replay.
However the replay viewer will need to be able to have the gt4 disc operate on the ps3. Mine does not.
Good suggestion. 👍

Yeah, I can't convert my replays to .MAX

The files that are being converted here are the throw back files from the max drive. A ps3 save PS2 games save to .psv format.

The files that are being converted here are the throw back files from the max drive. A ps3 save PS2 games save to .psv format.

So... do I need a max drive or whatever, or is the .psv an accepted format?

So... do I need a max drive or whatever, or is the .psv an accepted format?

You didn't ask that. You've posted in a thread that has nothing to do with a .psv formatted file system, and is therefore off topic.

However,
Normally we would expect the person with the .psv format to convert it to .max themselves. Again however, if you can't run ps2savebuilder, then I guess we can accommodate your situation and convert it for you, if needed. 👍

I've had the maxdrive issue on my new one just now, here's information I found on my own.
you can get the information you need on the save in a neat way. Hit the text box. usually it'll say NEW_SAVE and "game save created by....." in the second line. Now, double click your icon.sys file in ps2 save builder. the first two lines will have the most valuable information in it. first line is the game, second line is what the game save's name is. for my GT3 save the first line says GT3 BEST LAP, second line says Skyline Drift (the name i gave it) These two lines are what your PS2 and MAXdrive read. file name doesn't matter at all. if you don't modify those two lines, MOST saves i've found are recognized as NEW_SAVE which is really horrible when you're trying to transfer things. I know this isn't much, but it can be helpful for a lot of people trying to organize their files.

also to get the root name, i found it easier to just right click the file with the root name inside of PS2 save builder, hit properties, then just copy that. just so I don't have to click away from the window.

Back