How to cope with being constantly rammed into other cars from behind?

England
England
So I am late to GT Sport party and online racing in general. However with lockdowns and homeworking I am finding it a great way to get away from all that.

I am doing my best to be a clean racer, give space and don't fight if it will imo put the other car off track or otherwise give me a penalty. I mean I have put myself into a wall to avoid other cars. Honestly would rather have a clean race but lose than win with a red dot.

However one thing I am finding really frustrating is being punted from behind or off track because I am doing my best not to hit the car in front. Take daily race b at Mount Panorama the whole top section is to me a sketchy pass unless someone cocks up. So if someone is at race pace I feel it's best to just follow them through and go for the easier slip stream pass on the following long straight.

Inevitably I am going to need to dab my brakes as a result and seemingly 9 times out of 10 someone will run into the back of me and punt me into next week, especially on the last twisty bit where the elevation drops before the long straight (sorry don't know complex name).

Am I doing it wrong? should I even care about a clean race. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the punt or prevent if that is even possible.

Thanks in advance for any help or answers
a newb racer.

Well hopefully other drivers aren't getting too aggro and then intentionally ramming you. If so, one thing I liked to do back when I was more active with online racing was to only get involved with races which one of my friends here at GTP were hosting. I could generally count on a clean race then.

Otherwise, sometimes punting simply just happens more innocently due to nerves, real-life interruptions, and so on. We all make mistakes, and all that. But it also sounds like this is a more of a recurring problem for you?

Last edited:
Well hopefully other drivers aren't getting too aggro and then intentionally ramming you. If so, one thing I liked to do back when I was more active with online racing was to only get involved with races which one of my friends here at GTP were hosting. I could generally count on a clean race then.

Otherwise, sometimes punting simply just happens more innocently due to nerves, real-life interruptions, and so on. We all make mistakes, and all that. But it also sounds like this is a more of a recurring problem for you?

Oh I have had blatent intentional rams or pits manoeuvres too. I mean how else would you describe someone turning into you on a straight once you have half a car length in front of them. Sigh

Half the time I need to slow down is because the person in front gets a bit squirrelly and while they slow slightly or maybe go a little off line it's not enough for me to get past. So as far as I see it I either punt them or I slow down with slow being option one always that is what I do and that is when I usually get punted.

It's a lose lose situation, don't slow, hit the car get a penalty lose places. Slow down, don't hit the car but get punted, lose place and sometimes get a penalty to add to the insult.

More brake during and after the moment of impact while still maintaining accelerator input + TC to control the punters. Brake will help absorb the impact energy and keep you from flying off the track. TC will keep you from spinning out if you get a bit sideways from the impact and/or are getting pushed to the side of the track.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's how it is. It seems slightly better up at A/S, but I'll never get there so we just have to put up with it or quit. Mostly it's just idiots making mistakes, you tend to pick out the real rammers quite easily then you just need to try your best to avoid them. You should never go down to their level, but I think most of us do at least occasionally.

Unfortunately it's how it is. It seems slightly better up at A/S, but I'll never get there so we just have to put up with it or quit. Mostly it's just idiots making mistakes, you tend to pick out the real rammers quite easily then you just need to try your best to avoid them. You should never go down to their level, but I think most of us do at least occasionally.

It's hard not to give in to the red mist but for me that usually happens with those folks who try pit manoeuvres on a straight run once you have your nose in front.

The rear end punts are just really really really frustrating and while I have no doubt alot are intentional I would concede some are driver error. As I said above it's just seems whatever I do I am screwed which is the frustrating part for me.

Oh well I guess I will just have to try and wrap my head around that is just racing sometimes and try to be less frustrated

Oh I have had blatent intentional rams or pits manoeuvres too. Sigh.

So have I, it gets aggravating, right?

Like I said, one solution is to only race amongst friends who respect a clean race. :) Or perhaps you can try looking for rooms which feature more mature racing. I'm not sure what it's like now, but back when I was more active with online stuff I remember some hosts would actually advertise their races as *CLEAN*. They would kick anybody out who broke this rule.

Well to update somehow I have dragged my SR to S and the racing is cleaner up here though I still get the odd punt but not nearly as much. SR B was where I was at the op post and it was often the case I was one of the few clean drivers surrounded by red dots on the final standings.

Thank you everyone who responded it was very encouraging and made me a bit more tolerant of the punts that still happen. So instead of getting frustrated I try to just collect myself get back on track, get up to speed again and get on with the race. (and have a smug grin on my face when I pass the person who punted me later in the race as they rack up penalties.)

I think the best thing for me is not to dwell on them too much and spoil my fun. Which is why I am doing the races after all a fun distraction.

Back