How to create setups for heavy rain?

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 14 comments

Mr. S

Nikon Fanboy
Premium
France
Paris
So, I keep asking myself what's really important for rain race setups. I know what to do in order to make a car fast and stable but heck, for the life of me, I can't make my car fast in wet conditions. I had like +2.1 seconds in sector 1 compared to the leader at the Nürburgring.

This is my current setup for the race in Hungary, which will be a wet race - the setup is working pretty good but what do I have to change in order to make a wet setup out of it? It's not exactly clear to me what's most important for such conditions.

...uhm...what the heck!? :ouch:

Yet, the question remains. ;)

Well, if you think you can match them without cheating(Using TC) or putting the difficulty down, then you're really skilful or really brave.;)

It depends on the track really. Ideally you want as little body roll as possible without making it overly stiff where it has little to no steering responsiveness, and you want a somewhat soft suspension setup. Perhaps most importantly are the gear ratios, you wanna keep the torque from spinning the car sideways the second you apply throttle. So you want to lengthen the ratios a tad to keep everything calm, but not too wide that the powerband itself is unnecessarily wide causing you to lose speed in the last one or two gears.

Last edited:
Well, if you think you can match them without cheating(Using TC) or putting the difficulty down, then you're really skilful or really brave.;)

Well..no...I'll turn on TC, I'd say. Just sad that I didn't know this before the Silverstone qualifying / the race at the Ring. :odd:

T-12: makes sense...I'll try that. ;)

They are fast in the rain in qualifying, mostly because the times are not what the cars are doing in quali (fake), but in the race they aren't that fast. I won monaco in the rain on Legendary/expert In my Williams.

Go for the highest downforce default setup, then tweak.

Somehow AI fastest in Practice sessions, in Qualifying less faster and in Race you can overtake all of them. in rain doesn't matter the settings downforces or anything just the TIRES. Intermediate or wet.. and you can win. but I swear without traction control (FULL) I can't play with this game. Even medium TC is slippery already. Yes guys PS4 & 1-2 more years for the perfect formula one game.

The AI use traction control in the rain? Really? That sucks, although it makes me feel better about being 9 tenths quicker than my team mate in the rain with legendary AI and no aids :D [/e-penis]

The AI use traction control in the rain? Really? That sucks, although it makes me feel better about being 9 tenths quicker than my team mate in the rain with legendary AI and no aids :D [/e-penis]

Yeah, during the race - but not during qualifying...:D

Somehow AI fastest in Practice sessions, in Qualifying less faster and in Race you can overtake all of them. in rain doesn't matter the settings downforces or anything just the TIRES. Intermediate or wet.. and you can win. but I swear without traction control (FULL) I can't play with this game. Even medium TC is slippery already. Yes guys PS4 & 1-2 more years for the perfect formula one game.

Don't get me wrong but F1 cars are slippery. A future console won't change that, so you need to learn and cope with that - it might take a while but it's very rewarding. :)

If you play with a wheel and you give it some practice there is no reason why you can't beat the AI in the rain. If you're qualifying in weather suited to inters, just accept that you're not gonna do well in qualifying (on full wets the Ai are much slower).

But the AI suck in the rain during the race, you can destroy them on the start by getting the grip down early and using your kers, then you can pull 1+ second a lap from them. At Monaco by lap 14 I had gained a 19 second lead over alonso, on one set of tyres, though they were ruined by that point.

I play with no assists on legendary difficulty, this is as hard as it gets and based on my iRacing irating and laptimes, i'm not that fast/good. So I think you just need to get some practice down and know that even if you qualify bad, you can take it in the race in the rain.

If you play with a wheel and you give it some practice there is no reason why you can't beat the AI in the rain. If you're qualifying in weather suited to inters, just accept that you're not gonna do well in qualifying (on full wets the Ai are much slower).

But the AI suck in the rain during the race, you can destroy them on the start by getting the grip down early and using your kers, then you can pull 1+ second a lap from them. At Monaco by lap 14 I had gained a 19 second lead over alonso, on one set of tyres, though they were ruined by that point.

I play with no assists on legendary difficulty, this is as hard as it gets and based on my iRacing irating and laptimes, i'm not that fast/good. So I think you just need to get some practice down and know that even if you qualify bad, you can take it in the race in the rain.

I know, it's just frustrating. The AI passed me on option tyres in heavy rain in Silverstone...that's not funny anymore. But I'll probably stick to the advice given here, cheers guys. :)

I'm really annoyed at the AI in this game and the vastly varying difficulty. Qualifying I'm where the Lotus should be, in the race I'm consistently in the points (?), in the rain I'm NOWHERE to be seen (+2 seconds from 23rd if I really get a lap together and thrash the car about)...

The amount of times I'm losing the car in fast corners though is really irritating me, turn 8 at Turkey is the best example. Turn in no problem, first 2 apexes are fine but then all of a sudden my revs go through the roof, rear steps out and I either have to correct and run off the road, lift and go far slower than AI, or have a coming together with the wall... I'm hoping this is just because my Lotus suffers reduced downforce and is codemasters way of progressing through the order...

You're suffering with the problem that is known as a **** car, by qualifying I was able to run flat out through turn 8 in my Williams, but the car was very on the edge, sliding around and extremely close to losing it when I did it, in the race I often had to lift the throttle a bit.

The AI are faster in qualifying because they don't actually set the times, they are estimated (same as f1 2010), then in the race the drivers are very slow while they are around other cars, so its easy to get an advantage on the starts and first lap in general. Then you have to take into account that the AI are bad at overtaking you, and most of the time will pull out of an overtake attempt.

If you didnt gain places on the first lap the chances are the faster cars will leave you trailing shortly after.

Latest Posts

Back