How to get better opponent racer A.I. (PS5 only)

United States
United States
I'm not entirely sure 100% why it works, but it does.

Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings > Game Presets > Performance or Resolution Mode > Resolution Mode

To kind of explain what the difference is, game presets also doubles up on the in-game performance/resolution mode choice (I'm not sure why but it's not a bad thing).

Performance Mode is going to try and hit the max frame rate, while resolution mode is going to try and hit max resolution. When it has to fill in the other (less resolution for performance, less performance for resolution) it will use AI (in the PS4 pro and PS5 case, checkerboard rendering). When the game preset is set to Resolution Mode, it will have more frames for the AI to jump in for enjoyability.

That being said, I wonder when Superhuman A.I. will have to be included for an ESRB rating (It's currently rated E for Everyone // PEGI 3). I'm sure most of us grew up at a young age playing GT... just without a human-like AI.

For a bit of context (AI and still developing children), there's the CAIC (Might be the wrong CAIC, I can't remember the actual one right now.); the loot box change that happened in Belgium; and the Artificial Intelligence Act that was passed by the E.U.

Is it you are saying, that in performance mode, where the console is set to achieve higher frames per second, the AI will race better?

AI usually doesnt need any sort of picture to be able to "play" a game.
Also graphics have dedicated processing units, so no CPU power is taken away that could be spend on AI decissions.

IF that is true, the difference is negligible and a moot point. I’ve run the same races that I am very consistent in (Sardegna, Trial Mountain event etc. with no weather impact) many, many times in both Performance and Resolution modes out of curiosity to see how drastic the difference is (or rather isn’t, which is the case for me) and there is no noticeable difference in competition from the AI cars.
Been playing PS5 version of GT7 on a PS5 connected to a Sony Bravia 4K LED via HDMI 2.1 from launch day and can say for absolute certain there isn’t much of a difference between the 2 modes visually, although there is enough to be noticeable, but as far as AI car performance goes there is no change for better or worse in how smart or fast they are and I always finish within the same margin of victory in minutes/seconds regardless of mode. They’re also just as stupid in regards to wanting to hit you and others etc. between the 2 modes.

Performance mode and quality mode have no affect on visuals in games at all.. with 1 exception, some games require you to be on Performance mode to unlock 120hz for some games.

Not sure what this about. Maybe placebo.

it will use AI (in the PS4 pro and PS5 case, checkerboard rendering). When the game preset is set to Resolution Mode, it will have more frames for the AI to jump in for enjoyability.
Sorry, are you seriously suggesting that checkerboard rendering is done by AI, and if you don't do that the racing AI will be better?

Because that is way off reality.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure 100% why it works, but it does.

Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings > Game Presets > Performance or Resolution Mode > Resolution Mode

To kind of explain what the difference is, game presets also doubles up on the in-game performance/resolution mode choice (I'm not sure why but it's not a bad thing).

Performance Mode is going to try and hit the max frame rate, while resolution mode is going to try and hit max resolution. When it has to fill in the other (less resolution for performance, less performance for resolution) it will use AI (in the PS4 pro and PS5 case, checkerboard rendering). When the game preset is set to Resolution Mode, it will have more frames for the AI to jump in for enjoyability.

That being said, I wonder when Superhuman A.I. will have to be included for an ESRB rating (It's currently rated E for Everyone // PEGI 3). I'm sure most of us grew up at a young age playing GT... just without a human-like AI.

For a bit of context (AI and still developing children), there's the CAIC (Might be the wrong CAIC, I can't remember the actual one right now.); the loot box change that happened in Belgium; and the Artificial Intelligence Act that was passed by the E.U.
That's not how any of this works at all.

Performance mode and quality mode have no affect on visuals in games at all.. with 1 exception, some games require you to be on Performance mode to unlock 120hz for some games.

Not sure what this about. Maybe placebo.
There is a difference, in performance mode it may happen that some rendering is completly removed so the game can achieve the higher frame rates. Resolution mode is not simply "slower because it is slower", but it is slower because it has to render more details or has to use more precise methods of rendering.

There is a difference, in performance mode it may happen that some rendering is completly removed so the game can achieve the higher frame rates. Resolution mode is not simply "slower because it is slower", but it is slower because it has to render more details or has to use more precise methods of rendering.
Nah im talking about system presets.. the game presets might do something though.

Nah im talking about system presets.. the game presets might do something though.
I was under the impression, that the system preset only does a preset of what the game is using unless you choose otherwise (and for games that offer both options).
Because that is what is said just below the system preset option.

I was under the impression, that the system preset only does a preset of what the game is using unless you choose otherwise (and for games that offer both options).
Yeah thats exactly how i understand it.

Was just pointing it out though because op mentioned it is all. 🙂

The idea goes off the idea of Ubisoft's La Forge

It might just be a Placebo :/ Maybe it's better that way

This needs substantiation. Do you have AI lap times, or demonstrated different behavior based on this setting?

Here's some video showing the AI reacting in Resolution Mode

and here's the idea working in another game (Days Gone)

^Video is showing the AI render the fireplace in Performance Mode

If the Imgur links don't preview, try this one

https://imgur.com/a/1Emy897

Last edited:
1. If you only provide screenshots of 1 mode instead of 2, then you cant make a comparision of 2 different modes
2. AI is not consistent in its performance in general, especially not on lap 1
3. putting a different game to the discussion which is "does GT7 AI perform differently dependin on resolution or performance mode setting?" doesnt bring any information

Back