How to get the best images out of 'scapes and Photomode.

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 15 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
As many will now be aware GTS doesn't automatically export photos to your PS4, which gives you two routes to getting them out of GTS and into your hands. You can either view them in GTS and use the sharecapture tool or export them, but are these two options equal?

On the face of it no difference at all exists in the resolution, dpi or bit depth between the two, however the export one is however twice the file size (505kbs vs 1.2mb) and contains exif data.

Sharecapture Image:
MgAMF4k.jpg

Export Image:
jqkuepD.jpg

Despite the key metrics (resolution, dpi and bit depth) being the same, the export images are clearly sharper when viewed fully, even with the 4K PS4 Pro sharecapture (which I used for this shot).

When looked at up close the difference is quite clear (thanks to @mokalovesoulmat for these):

Sharecapture:
1.png

Export:
2.png

So if you want the best possible looking shots, then the export tool offers a clear advantage.

Great find, @Scaff. It's especially important since we're still learning about the new photomode. It does make me wonder why they would create such a drastic distinction between the two options, though.

NP
Great find, @Scaff. It's especially important since we're still learning about the new photomode. It does make me wonder why they would create such a drastic distinction between the two options, though.
I think the better question is why more devs dont do what PD did here. Its been clear that the PS4 share button always compresses pictures and videos alike. Im so grateful we can continue to have ultra crisp pictures.

@NanoSaibou, while I agree with you on the point that Polyphony Digital did a great job at delivering a feature which allows us to export photos with ultra fine details, it escapes me how the built-in 'share' functionality could have been left untouched thus far and why developers are held responsible for improving upon it by having to create separate features themselves.

NP
@NanoSaibou, while I agree with you on the point that Polyphony Digital did a great job at delivering a feature which allows us to export photos with ultra fine details, it escapes me how the built-in 'share' functionality could have been left untouched thus far and why developers are held responsible for improving upon it by having to create separate features themselves.
I hear you, I think it would be amazing if Sony can implement a feature similar to Nvidia Ansel on PC. Ofcourse maybe not to the point of being able to freely fly around the scene but at least something that we are able to choose to increase the resolution of the image and get really crispy screen shots. What Ansel does is it zooms into each part of a scene and captures an image then combines it all to create a higher resolution image.

More information:
  • 4K Photos generated by Export tool are in native 4K, 3840x2160 resolution at 96 dpi. If you want to print the picture and give it a photo frame and install them in your wall, the optimum size would be 102 cm x 57cm. Since wall pictures are designed to viewed from a distance, a larger size would not be a problem.

upload_2017-10-11_2-19-51.png

• After checking NeoGAF, it seems Scapes are mixed with low quality and high quality backgrounds. You will see artifacts if you take a High Resolution photo with low quality scape. It is difficult to see the difference and it seems we need a list (if it is really important). The scape used by @Scaff with Audi above are the high quality ones.

Here's another tip, regarding Scapes Photos

Let's say you have a great Scapes shot and you'd like to know how you made it. You might even want to tweak it just a little. Here's how to do it.

Go to "My Library" and select the Scapes Photo. Press "Triangle"

A menu will appear which has an option "Open Scapes". This will return you to photo mode with the camera and other options exactly as they were when you took the original. This is very cool IMHO.

What do you think? Useful?

EDIT:
If you like motion blur in Scapes, try turning the car's front wheels a little and the motion blur becomes curved. Exposure times of ⅛ to 1/15th of a second tend to work well at speeds between 50 and 100 mph. At full lock, you'll probably think you're passing a vortex in the fabric of space/time

Last edited:
I can't find this export tool. Can you help me, how is thing working?

Plug in your USB storage device. Select a photo, and press "triangle" and a menu pops up. Can only export one photo at a time.

Back