How to get the perfect start?

• Thread starter Torg22
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
Southend
I've been playing a bit online and note that I qualify well but from a standing start I am awfully slow off of the line and drop loads of places. Is there a technique to getting a good start?

I tend to hold my revs up high on the limiter while in neutral and then as soon as the lights turn green drop it into 1st with my foot to the floor. You would have thought that if anything I would get a load of wheel spin but no, I tend to bog down and am really sluggish away. Am I missing a trick here?

Ta
Chris

I am a surprisingly good starter. Either that or I am flattered by the ineptitude of others.

I hold revs at about 50% and as the lights go green gradually feed the power in over 2s or so. It greatly reduces or eliminates wheelspin and you should be off and running while others are floundering like it is Destruction Derby..

The more powerful the car the more gradual your applying of power should be, while you should exercise caution when driving in cars which start on cold tyres. Any change of direction should be smooth when on cold tyres as it is easy to lose control and end-up facing the wrong way down the main straight shortly after introducing yourself to the pitwall.

Just remember the better your start the more people will be behind you to frustratingly bump you off at Turn 1.

I am a DS4 user.

I've been playing a bit online and note that I qualify well but from a standing start I am awfully slow off of the line and drop loads of places. Is there a technique to getting a good start?

I tend to hold my revs up high on the limiter while in neutral and then as soon as the lights turn green drop it into 1st with my foot to the floor. You would have thought that if anything I would get a load of wheel spin but no, I tend to bog down and am really sluggish away. Am I missing a trick here?

Ta
Chris

I feel for you men, I used to do the same, but now I found a much better way, granted it's not realistic but it works like a charm at 90% AI anyway XD. Didnt try 100% yet.

So yeah here's what I do, wait for the red light to lit up, once they are, brake and go into first gear, and try to maintain rev at like 60-70%, eventually it will drop down but it shouldnt before the green shows, once you see green, release break and keep accelerator around 60-70% depends on car and tracks and condition. As soon as wheel spin stop, full pressure on accel.

Let me know how it went :) Have fun.

Works like a charm in kart, superkart, caterham and some other low series. Didnt make it to higher ground yet.

Ok thanks that's interesting to know. I find holding steady revs quite hard on the thrustmaster pedals, seems a bit like everything or nothing. Will have to try perfect it!

Additionally I always seem to have slow reaction time compared to others when the lights go green. I know for a fact that my reaction time is fine, do other people jump the start between the last red light and the green without getting penalised?

Am right with holding it in neutral and then pulling 1st when the lights go green? Due to having no clutch I cant think of any other way.

I feel for you men, I used to do the same, but now I found a much better way, granted it's not realistic but it works like a charm at 90% AI anyway XD. Didnt try 100% yet.

So yeah here's what I do, wait for the red light to lit up, once they are, brake and go into first gear, and try to maintain rev at like 60-70%, eventually it will drop down but it shouldn't before the green shows, once you see green, release break and keep accelerator around 60-70% depends on car and tracks and condition. As soon as wheel spin stop, full pressure on accel.

Let me know how it went :) Have fun.

Works like a charm in kart, superkart, caterham and some other low series. Didnt make it to higher ground yet.

ohhh, I like it!! Im using the underpowered Ginetta Juniors in a championship at present so that might help!! Do you not lurch forward even with the brake applied?

Ok thanks that's interesting to know. I find holding steady revs quite hard on the thrustmaster pedals, seems a bit like everything or nothing. Will have to try perfect it!

Additionally I always seem to have slow reaction time compared to others when the lights go green. I know for a fact that my reaction time is fine, do other people jump the start between the last red light and the green without getting penalised?

Am right with holding it in neutral and then pulling 1st when the lights go green? Due to having no clutch I cant think of any other way.

Na there lies your mistake, you should be in first when the green light lit up already. Engaging gear at that time will make you loose 2-3 seconds on start alone. And yes you can anticipate it a bit, works and dont seems to penalize you.

Best way is to hold break, go into first when all red are lit, and release break when you see green light or feel it's gonna come all that while keeping your accel around 60-70%.

Using a t300 rs myself.

ohhh, I like it!! Im using the underpowered Ginetta Juniors in a championship at present so that might help!! Do you not lurch forward even with the brake applied?

Not sure what lurch mean sorry. But you arent moving if it was your question

I had not tried using the brake to setup the launch until after reading this thread. Tried it in the super karts in career mode and was destroying them off the line with ease.

Try either into 1st, handbrake,revs up release handbrake on green for amazing launch or exactly the same but with the brakes and not handbrake. Which ever you have the quickest reaction with.. finger or foot.. try it works amazing! :cheers:

When using handbrake you dont. Some cars lurch forward with brakes applied but not all.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure i saw a few guys go before Green was out a couple of times; no penalties at all :P

I've been hiding in shame in career mode where I've been sure that I jumped the start. But did not get penalised.
And it gives the trophy fire having a quick reaction time:dunce:

If you can, manual clutch, engage 1st gear revs up realese clutch, easy like that.
But remember to assign a button to "start engine" because if you spun and don´t press the clutch fast enough your engine will stall.

Ta
Chris
Do you use traction control cause that's what's keeping your wheels from spinning.

Nono never :)

I'm getting the hang of my starts now. I'm doing the above ie... holding the brakes while revving in 1st and releasing when the lights turn green.

Back