how to import anime photos to GT7

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I've seem shared countless times on the showroom Anime pics as Decals but for the life of me I can't seem to find any tutorial on how this is achieved. I've tried my level best to break the photo up into chunks and make them SVGs but I just keep getting unsupported Format when trying to upload even when I've got file size and file type to SVG. anyone able to point me to any good tutorials for this and please not these tutorials that only show a simple single or B&W logo conversion as I'm wishing to import some Anime pics for an itachi design livery.

I've searched for ages and just don't seem to be finding anything

Do you actually turn the images into a vector format, instead of just attaching the raster image and saving it as an SVG?

Do you actually turn the images into a vector format, instead of just attaching the raster image and saving it as an SVG?
So far and I could be doing something wrong here but I've tried getting a selecting making work path then converting to Vector Mask and I've also tried converting the Object into a Smart Object unfortunatly neither method held fruit. but all the Convert PNG to Vector tutorials I've found take me down the as stated on my first line there method

You need to trace the bitmap into vector. Generally the results don't look appealing, but this is the challenge with turning colorful, detailed images into vector, especially with the file size limit in place. I genuinely don't know how people could still make their decals look great despite the compression. :P

You need to trace the bitmap into vector. Generally the results don't look appealing, but this is the challenge with turning colorful, detailed images into vector, especially with the file size limit in place. I genuinely don't know how people could still make their decals look great despite the compression. :P
Any ideas how I can do that in photoshop ?

Any ideas how I can do that in photoshop ?
As far as I'm aware, Photoshop can't do a GT-compatible vector graphic. You need Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw, Affinity Designer or similar.

You'll find guides here.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, Photoshop can't do a GT-compatible vector graphic. You need Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw, Affinity Designer or similar.

You'll find guides here.
Hi Daan,

Thanks I'll take a look tho I do believe all these tutorials specifically only show maybe a two or three colour logo :( I'm looking to convert a Anime PNG/JPEG into GT7 will this same technique even work for that ?

Hi Daan,

Thanks I'll take a look tho I do believe all these tutorials specifically only show maybe a two or three colour logo :( I'm looking to convert a Anime PNG/JPEG into GT7 will this same technique even work for that ?
You apply the techniques you learn on the small stuff before you can do the big stuff.

But making anime SVGs is a realm that only a few inhabit.

Last edited:
It is possible to turn a picture into multiple layers of decals, but I don’t know anything about how to go about it and I shudder to think of the amount of work that goes into making especially elaborate decals like the one below.

Picture:
IMG_7555.jpeg

Decals:
IMG_7554.jpeg

It is possible to turn a picture into multiple layers of decals
I was thinking about this. If one wants the best looking anime pic decals, one must divide it into multiple layers, separating the character from the background, as well as dividing the two further.

I was thinking about this. If one wants the best looking anime pic decals, one must divide it into multiple layers, separating the character from the background, as well as dividing the two further.
Yeah, the example I showed involves 3 layers for the background and 11 (not including template) for Suisei herself.

More layers means more details, of course, but there is a limited number of decals that can be saved in the Livery Editor’s Favourites section for quick access. Hence, the challenge is in including as many details as possible within the size limit of each layer and without using too many layers (I personally think 25+ layers is too many).

I dont even want to know how many hours ive spent hand tracing decals, So trust me when I say there aint a way of auto tracing complex images without a whole heap of knowing how to just make the thing yourself.

Yeah, the example I showed involves 3 layers for the background and 11 (not including template) for Suisei herself.

More layers means more details, of course, but there is a limited number of decals that can be saved in the Livery Editor’s Favourites section for quick access. Hence, the challenge is in including as many details as possible within the size limit of each layer and without using too many layers (I personally think 25+ layers is too many).
Yeah I gave seperating it ago I've got a PNG file thats got no Background, so I made a Generic Silohuette out of the shape then broke the image down into about 3 or 4 peices and converted them into 15kb Vector Files in photoshop however unfortunately it seems GT7 doesn't like the SVG that photoshop generates and I have no idea why

an all the ones I do similar to in Illustrator just can't get small enough no matter what I do

Image I'm working with is

HelenaSummerWithoutBG.png

every other game I make textures for my self for I just slap the PNG straight on why GT7 won't let us use the PNG's is beyond me and its infuriating to say the least lol

Im always curious to see the files. For real though start small, maybe consider a chibi version of the character. Something simpler, less gradiented colours, Highest resolution you can muster.

Starting with the most complex image is just going to end in frustration, Alot of people struggle to just get their names as a decal.

Why SVG? Thats the S in SVG, Scalable. PNG's are comparitivly large and cant be scaled without loss. If you want to make the graphics look pretty ingame or IRL its either SVG or massive resolution.

Im always curious to see the files. For real though start small, maybe consider a chibi version of the character. Something simpler, less gradiented colours, Highest resolution you can muster.

Starting with the most complex image is just going to end in frustration, Alot of people struggle to just get their names as a decal.

Why SVG? Thats the S in SVG, Scalable. PNG's are comparitivly large and cant be scaled without loss. If you want to make the graphics look pretty ingame or IRL its either SVG or massive resolution.
Sadly the way my mind likes to work starting on simple things leads to frustration because I just struggle to get my creative juice's flowing XD. Hence Why I love doing everything in photoshop because its where I'm most comfortable and GT and Forza so far have been the only games I can't use it to edit Livs for which sucks.

Completely get what you mean though. honestly wish I just new how I could get layering it in stead but the way I tried GT7 just for some reason doesn't read Photoshops generated SVG files and I can't for the life of me figure out what setting must I be doing wrong for SVG file to all of a sudden not be a SVG file

Latest Posts

Back