How to improve Arcade Mode?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 15 comments
  • 7,056 views

Cap'n Jack

Premium
Messages
10,420
Australia
South of the South
Messages
GoldMineGutted
GT Mode is nearing the end for me, with only B-Spec and endurance events left to do and Online races don't really do it for me, unless they're organised events, so I keep finding myself venturing into Arcade Mode, just like I would in previous GT games... only I keep finding myself extremely disappointed. My main gripe is the AI driving cars not even close to matching the one I've chosen but there are so many other ways it could be improved.

I usually prefer to drive race cars and being race cars, I want to actually race them, so I head over to Arcade Mode to set up a race for myself, only to find the competition I'm put up against is not exactly what I was expecting. For example, just now I was hoping to have a fun race with Le Mans Prototypes, so I "hopped in" my Audi R10 and started up a race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Naturally I was expecting my opponents to be driving Pescarolo's, Peugeot 908's, Audi R8's, you know, LMP race cars! But instead I'm given a field of Gillet Vertigo's, Ford GT LM Spec II's, Mercedes CLK-LM's and other GT class race cars. Hardly a challenge for me and my R10. Another great example from a week or so ago, I wanted to get some NASCAR races going but not even one AI opponent was driving a NASCAR stock car. I even tried to set up a race GT class car race with my Chevrolet Corvette Z06 RM but that was a no hoper too.

EDIT: Perhaps this is a small bug, I was able to get my LMP car race by selecting racing soft tyres, rather than racing hard tyres. :irked:

It's not all bad though, the AI do drive similar cars to the one you've chosen when you select a road car. I was able to get some great races with my Mazda MX-5 and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 although I did have to limit my Gallardo's power and give it some ballast for the AI to be competitive but that issue isn't limited to just Arcade Mode. So that's my main gripe with Arcade Mode, but there's still more things which could make Arcade Mode a lot more fun.

Something that I've seen many people request on these forums - Rather than the game randomly selecting AI opponent cars for me, I would like to be able to choose the opponents myself (this was possible in GT5 Prologue, only that wasn't made public until after GT5 was released so we know PD know how to implement this), so then I would be able to get my LMP race or my NASCAR race.

Another feature I'd like to see which could improve Arcade Mode would be a championship creator. The player could select the races they want for their championship, including race distances, fuel/tyre wear, damage, etc. and then the AI opponents.

GT3 had an excellent Arcade Mode in which you were able to unlock more cars and circuits by completing races on the circuits you had already unlocked and it even went towards your game completion. Perhaps this could be expanded on in GT5?

That's about all for me and of course feel free to add your opinions and ideas!
 
Last edited:
I feel exactly the same way about arcade mode... This mode should be more of a sandbox mode - you don't get any rewards from it anyway.

To add to your list...
-Ability to choose weather and time for certain tracks.
 
I feel exactly the same way about arcade mode... This mode should be more of a sandbox mode - you don't get any rewards from it anyway.

To add to your list...
-Ability to choose weather and time for certain tracks.

👍
 
i also want unlockables in arcade mode, like additional cars. Better yet, more credits when you win races.
 
Arcade competition level seems quite odd. I mainly use street cars and instead of getting to race similar cars with harder AI levels, it just seems to give them faster cars when I select the top difficulty level.
 
Arcade competition level seems quite odd. I mainly use street cars and instead of getting to race similar cars with harder AI levels, it just seems to give them faster cars when I select the top difficulty level.
Definitely, I've noticed this and if I recall correctly it was a problem in previous GT games too.
 
All this would be solved with a race builder that lets you create races with all possible specifications. Most of it is already there for online, so why not offline?
 
I've been having same car races in practise mode recently...if you turn the engine power down a tad & use sports:hard tyres, you can normally get a decent race out of it...more so than the randomness of arcade mode :p
 
The AI skill level used to be set with a slider so you could tweak them to go a little (or a lot) faster or slower until you reached your desired level of competition. I would like to see that feature come back.

Manipulation of the time/weather would be great too.

P.S. OP - You can have your Nascar race in "One Make Race" in practice mode. But, all the other cars will run the exact same Nascar car that you are running and the AI difficulty probably won't satisfy you either...
 
none of this ideas are particulary new or mine to improve arcade racing:

some ideas...
1. Improve AI (see SimBin AI and options)
2. Allow all cars and tuning options to be available (only in Arcade mode)
3. Allow user to select AI setting and specific AI car(s)
4. Allow user to set all race parameters - some of these are already implemented but in entirety would give GT5 even more awesomenesses (length, course, number of pitstops, starting position (specific or random - only for himself) or have a Qualifying option, standing or rolling race start, flags (blue and yellow at least))
5. Time and weather settings/options

:)
 
They should include the most wanted event creator into Arcade Mode.

The Arcade Mode ist pretty unneeded:

- you have no customisation-feature to create your own events
- no influence to weather/ day time-settings
- car selection is incomplete/ standards just available by marking them as favorites in GT-mode
- AI difficulty does not change: the higher the level, the faster the AI car ....but not: the higher the level, that harder the AI
- AI cars never fit to player car (GT isn´t able to create a complete NASCAR-field, when I compete with a NASCAR car on an oval 👎)
- you have nothing to approve...no bonus, no extra trophies, no new features
 
I feel exactly the same way about arcade mode... This mode should be more of a sandbox mode - you don't get any rewards from it anyway.

To add to your list...
-Ability to choose weather and time for certain tracks.

The ability to choose the time/weather is high on my list. My only fear is there's a reason why PD didn't include it in the first place especially for the Race mode (as oppose to TT) where most of the GPU/CPU usage is not only covering the AI but also the 4 extra cars on track. I'm hoping PD gives us the option and the ability to set races with more the 99 laps but also those based on time.
 
Something that I've seen many people request on these forums - Rather than the game randomly selecting AI opponent cars for me, I would like to be able to choose the opponents myself (this was possible in GT5 Prologue, only that wasn't made public until after GT5 was released so we know PD know how to implement this), so then I would be able to get my LMP race or my NASCAR race.

Another feature I'd like to see which could improve Arcade Mode would be a championship creator. The player could select the races they want for their championship, including race distances, fuel/tyre wear, damage, etc. and then the AI opponents.

I was going to open a new thread about the same things but seems like I'm not the only one, PD give us the chance to customize arcade mode! PLEASE!

none of this ideas are particulary new or mine to improve arcade racing:

some ideas...
1. Improve AI (see SimBin AI and options)
2. Allow all cars and tuning options to be available (only in Arcade mode)
3. Allow user to select AI setting and specific AI car(s)
4. Allow user to set all race parameters - some of these are already implemented but in entirety would give GT5 even more awesomenesses (length, course, number of pitstops, starting position (specific or random - only for himself) or have a Qualifying option, standing or rolling race start, flags (blue and yellow at least))
5. Time and weather settings/options

:)

I think I'll die happy if they do it 👍
 
They should include the most wanted event creator into Arcade Mode.

The Arcade Mode ist pretty unneeded:

- you have no customisation-feature to create your own events
- no influence to weather/ day time-settings
- car selection is incomplete/ standards just available by marking them as favorites in GT-mode
- AI difficulty does not change: the higher the level, the faster the AI car ....but not: the higher the level, that harder the AI
- AI cars never fit to player car (GT isn´t able to create a complete NASCAR-field, when I compete with a NASCAR car on an oval 👎)
- you have nothing to approve...no bonus, no extra trophies, no new features

i used to be able to get nascar only fields before patch 1.06.
 
The ability to pick your opponent cars and the ability to race AI in 2 player races. I would like those, just the ability to race the AI in 2 player would make for some better replays even if the AI isn't great (or as good as it could be).
 
I was going to open a new thread about the same things but seems like I'm not the only one, PD give us the chance to customize arcade mode! PLEASE!



I think I'll die happy if they do it 👍

As I mentioned in another thread the SimBin series of race sims has a very good AI.

What I also enjoy and is a nice "realistic" touch is that the AI car can have a different paces. does that make sense? I mean, when I am going up against 20 AI-controlled cars in a race there are 2-4 AI cars that go really really fast, the majority of the cars are in the middle and then there are also a few stragglers.

I have not done a lot of GT5 arcade mode but when I do all of the AI cars bunch up together like a herd of angry elephants!
:sly:
 
Back