How to make GT Sport use the whole screen?

• Thread starter Metalogic
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
Oxford
Hi - I'm new to the PS4, just got a PS4 Pro last week, and the only game I have for it so far is GT Sport. Everything seems to work fine, apart from one issue - although the main PS4 blue screens fill my monitor screen, when I play GT Sport everything has a black border around it, so the game is not using the full screen. It does this on both my 1080p BenQ XL2430T 24" monitor (which is what I'll be using mostly), but also on my 32" Samsung 1080p TV.

I've tried using Enlarge / Shrink controls at "Settings"->"Sound and Screen"->"Display area settings", but these don't seem to do anything. Am I missing something? Thanks!

There's an option within GT Sport itself to set the screen size. Not in front of the PS4 at the moment, but it's in the game options somewhere. Hope that helps... :)

Did you checked settings>sound and screen>video output settings in the ps4 menu?

I have now - there seem to be no settings
There's an option within GT Sport itself to set the screen size. Not in front of the PS4 at the moment, but it's in the game options somewhere. Hope that helps... :)

I couldn't find any options within GT Sport itself to set the screen size (unlike in F1 2017, which works in full-screen fine) :-(

I also checked settings>sound and screen>video output settings in the ps4 menu, but everything set there seems to match my monitor settings correctly

I assume the Enlarge / Shrink controls at the "Settings"->"Sound and Screen"->"Display area settings" in the PS4 menu are meant to do *something*, but these don't seem to do anything

Hmm, I'm 99.9% certain I changed the screen size from within GT Sport itself. I will check for you when I get home from work.

Hi - I'm new to the PS4, just got a PS4 Pro last week, and the only game I have for it so far is GT Sport. Everything seems to work fine, apart from one issue - although the main PS4 blue screens fill my monitor screen, when I play GT Sport everything has a black border around it, so the game is not using the full screen. It does this on both my 1080p BenQ XL2430T 24" monitor (which is what I'll be using mostly), but also on my 32" Samsung 1080p TV.

I've tried using Enlarge / Shrink controls at "Settings"->"Sound and Screen"->"Display area settings", but these don't seem to do anything. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Have you tried this?:

upload_2017-12-13_11-23-30.png

Here, you move your L3 stick up:

20171213112623.jpg

and when you can't see the white lines press x:

DSC_0002.JPG

Attachments

• 20171213112734.jpg
    20171213112734.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Yes, but it doesn't seem to do anything, press the "Up" directional arrow just seems to highlight "Shrink", but doesn't do anything, pressing any other button does nothing, pressing X ("enter") just returns me to the list of Sound and Screen settings. In no case does the displayed area change size (unlike the setting for this in F1 2017).

BTW my monitor is not set overscan or anything else weird

Yes, but it doesn't seem to do anything, press the "Up" directional arrow just seems to highlight "Shrink", but doesn't do anything, pressing any other button does nothing, pressing X ("enter") just returns me to the list of Sound and Screen settings. In no case does the displayed area change size (unlike the setting for this in F1 2017).
Hm, weird, it works for me, i can change the screen size as much as i want, with these settings, you have to hold the L3 stick up to enlarge the screen or down to minimaze and press x when the screen is like you want it, if you press x it will take you back to sound and screen settings, so that's correct.

I was wrong. I set the screen using the method IngRobNy detailed above. Apologies... :(

No idea why it won't work for you.

I'll still take a look when I get home though...

Not entirely about this subject, but I have been wondering if GTS supports 21:9 or even that new 32:9, I can't find anything aroudn the internet about it- although older GT games do.

This is caused by the overscan technique that made sense in analogue broadcasts.

You should never zoom in on the PS4 screen setting because that will force a re-scaling that will make the image less sharp.

Search your television or monitor the option for the adjustment without overscan, it is usually in the size option although it has different names according to the manufacturers ("Wide," "Screen Fill," "Screen Fit," "Aspect Ratio", "Format" )

https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-youre-not-seeing-the-whole-picture-on-your-tv/

Hm, weird, it works for me, i can change the screen size as much as i want, with these settings, you have to hold the L3 stick up to enlarge the screen or down to minimaze and press x when the screen is like you want it, if you press x it will take you back to sound and screen settings, so that's correct.

Aha! That worked - didn't realise you had to use the L3 stick to change enlarge the screen, there are no instructions to that effect on that settings page. GT Sport now fills the screen! Thank you! :-)

This is caused by the overscan technique that made sense in analogue broadcasts.

You should never zoom in on the PS4 screen setting because that will force a re-scaling that will make the image less sharp.

Search your television or monitor the option for the adjustment without overscan, it is usually in the size option although it has different names according to the manufacturers ("Wide," "Screen Fill," "Screen Fit," "Aspect Ratio", "Format" )

https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-youre-not-seeing-the-whole-picture-on-your-tv/

My monitor display mode is set to "Full", but the only way I can get GT Sport to full the screen is to "enlarge" in the PS4 display settings - I don't understand why it doesn't automatically recognise to use the full screen, like my PC does

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha! That worked - didn't realise you had to use the L3 stick to change enlarge the screen, there are no instructions to that effect on that settings page. GT Sport now fills the screen! Thank you! :-)
Cool! Glad i could help via :gtpflag:.

My monitor display mode is set to "Full", but the only way I can get GT Sport to full the screen is to "enlarge" in the PS4 display settings - I don't understand why it doesn't automatically recognise to use the full screen, like my PC does

When you start a game for the first time on PS4 the screen setting should pop up, maybe you just pressed cancel the first time?

In the Smart Scaling options choose 1:1.

BenQ-Scaling.png

I had to change this in the PS4 display settings, not the in game setting. I found this strange, cause this only happened with GT Sport. Every other game just took up the full screen automatically.

Back