How to manual gear?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Universal-Shot
  • 14 comments
  • 2,050 views
Messages
89
England
United Kingdom England
Messages
Universal-Shot
I tried playing on manual today and am pretty crap and cant get my head around gears.

Is a good idea to break say from 4th then double down gears to 2nd quickly or gradually whilst slowing?

I feel commando quickly doing 2 but think I should mimic B Spec
 
Downshifting too fast can overrev the engine and damage it, although in GT5 that doesn't happen (unless you have damage set to high in online?). There's no penalty but it's not as efficient.
 
If I downshifting from 4th to a corner where I need to be in 2nd for the exit of the corner I would get on the brakes and immediately shift down to 3rd. As the revs of the engine start to come back down I would then downshift into 2nd, and hopefully have this and the braking all done right as I start to turn in for the corner. Sometimes its different for things like decreasing radius corners, or trail braking, but that is how I usually try to do it. Of course what I would like to do and what actually happens depends a lot skill, which I am lacking, so if it goes right then it is usually because of some luck.

My best advice to watch replays of others and practice.
 
Best way is to take a slow car and practise.
Drive a Mini on Rome Circuit for instance.

Downshifting is depending on the revs your engine is making.
Suppose your mini goes into the red at 6000 rpm.

Situation 1:
You drive towards a 2nd hand corner whilst in 4th gear at 5900rpm.
Proper way is to start braking first, wait a second for the revs to drop, then start downshifting twice slowly.

Situation 2:
You're driving towards that same 2nd hand corner but now you're doing 3000rpm in 5th gear.
This time you can start braking and downshift almost simultanious because the engine was not revving at max rpm.


To answer your question more specific: how fast you should downshift is depending on how good your car is. In a FGT you can downshift really fast because the car brakes really fast. If you have a heavy car that has a looong brake-way, you should shift slower.


Take my advacie, start racing in slow cars to learn how to manual shift.
Shuffle races online are a very good learning school.
If you want to drive solo, take a slow car, and try to drive it like you would on a 'real road'. Try driving a lap on London or Rome imagining your dad is sitting next to you in the car (and it;s HIS car!)...

Learn in slow cars.


edit: something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ3sRKBUqkw&feature=related
 
I tried playing on manual today and am pretty crap and cant get my head around gears.

Is a good idea to break say from 4th then double down gears to 2nd quickly or gradually whilst slowing?

I feel commando quickly doing 2 but think I should mimic B Spec


You won't be to hot at manual shifting if you've been using automatic for a long period of time but just keep at it and you'll become much better with it, it's also a lot more fun and rewarding than automatic IMO.

Yes if your RPM has dropped significantly in 4th gear and you feel the need to go down to 2nd gear so the RPM can properly "fit" within the gear then doing so is fine. The only problem that you have to watch out for is going down to many gears and revving the engine way to high which isn't healthy for the engine and can slow you down quite a bit. You are aiming to properly fit the RPM in it's right gear at a certain time, not to high and not to low, for instance you don't want to be in 6th gear while your doing 20 MPH, although it won't hurt the engine you will accelerate better and optimize the engines power by being in 1st gear where 20 MPH will more than likely "fit".

Edit: All in all it's not the wrong thing to do at all unless your revving the engine.
 
the only way to learn how to downshift properly is to practice. Just be glad you don't have to heel-toe double-clutch because that's, oh, about 30x more difficult than pressing square.
 
I learnt to manual shift just after gt5 came out as I'd got a dfgt. It doesn't take long to learn. What I did was take a Nissan 370z around a simple track with few corners. Gt5 is great for learning as when you get to a corner it shows you what gear you need to be in. At first it seemed really difficult but after half an hour I could shift manuely well and only occasionally missed shifts. After playing gt5 normally for a few days with Manuel gears, changing gears became almost second nature and I was seconds faster because of it. Everyone should learn as it makes gt5 so much more enjoyable and makes you a lot faster as well as making all cars a lot more rewarding to drive.
 
Ok so basically practice and shift progressively, I get the picture from AI quicker car quicker shifts etc. Thanks for the tips and accurate examples


Actually fit its R1 and L1 LOL
 
I used to use the R and L buttons for shifting, but it's a lot easier the way I have it set up now.
 
I abuse the engine. Say youre aproaching a 2nd gear corner in 6th. I downshift to 2, and brake. Rear downforce is importent here or u just skid around
 
I abuse the engine. Say youre aproaching a 2nd gear corner in 6th. I downshift to 2, and brake. Rear downforce is importent here or u just skid around

That's not downforce, that's ABS. If you go straight from 6th to 2nd, you should go straight to looking at where you were instead of where you are going, no matter your mechanical or aero grip. Shifting like that tends to make the game engage the clutch as well, so you will lose the help your engine can give you decelerating. You'd be better off braking completely and then shifting all at once(or better yet, doing it right, gear by gear, it's not that hard). But since it's a really stupid idea I haven't tested it much to that extreme. In some arcadey games it is quicker to shift like that, but in GT5 when I accidentally shift too fast I either lock the rears and start spinning, or else the engine just revs crazy high and I can't slow down anywhere near as fast. So while I can't say it doesn't work, it very much shouldn't.
 
I learnt to manual shift just after gt5 came out as I'd got a dfgt. It doesn't take long to learn. What I did was take a Nissan 370z around a simple track with few corners. Gt5 is great for learning as when you get to a corner it shows you what gear you need to be in. At first it seemed really difficult but after half an hour I could shift manuely well and only occasionally missed shifts. After playing gt5 normally for a few days with Manuel gears, changing gears became almost second nature and I was seconds faster because of it. Everyone should learn as it makes gt5 so much more enjoyable and makes you a lot faster as well as making all cars a lot more rewarding to drive.

How do you miss shift with a DFGT? :odd:
 
That's not downforce, that's ABS. If you go straight from 6th to 2nd, you should go straight to looking at where you were instead of where you are going, no matter your mechanical or aero grip. Shifting like that tends to make the game engage the clutch as well, so you will lose the help your engine can give you decelerating. You'd be better off braking completely and then shifting all at once(or better yet, doing it right, gear by gear, it's not that hard). But since it's a really stupid idea I haven't tested it much to that extreme. In some arcadey games it is quicker to shift like that, but in GT5 when I accidentally shift too fast I either lock the rears and start spinning, or else the engine just revs crazy high and I can't slow down anywhere near as fast. So while I can't say it doesn't work, it very much shouldn't.
Actuely no. Say 6th gear has max 320 kph. You downshift to 2 wich has 170. The rear wheels "locks" at 170, so you skid around. Try that in some car with no downforce. Goodluck ^^. You need SOME downforce to prevent a huge spinout.
The game dosent apply the clutch. The rpm rrvs high 'coz it can only be on 170, not 320. That does help you slow down MUCH faster. I've tried it. You should to.
 
Back