How to prevent myself from gripping the steering wheel too tightly?

• Thread starter moby323
  • 26 comments
United States
United States
I realize the simple answer is “just don’t grip the steering wheel so tightly”, but the reality is that when I am immersed in the game I absolutely cannot help it and my hand starts to hurt anytime I play for over an hour.

Any tips on how to stop myself from doing this? I turned the force feedback settings down but it didn’t seem to help too much.

Thanks.

Maybe turn down the FFB settings for your wheel a notch or two. If it's set really high you will have to grip harder when turning. Maybe you could try to drive so only your thumb and index finger go around the wheel and you keep your other 3 fingers in the shift paddles at all times? Or any combination if fingers could be on the paddles. Basically, anything to keep your hand partially open could work.

Maybe turn down the FFB settings for your wheel a notch or two. If it's set really high you will have to grip harder when turning. Maybe you could try to drive so only your thumb and index finger go around the wheel and you keep your other 3 fingers in the shift paddles at all times? Or any combination if fingers could be on the paddles. Basically, anything to keep your hand partially open could work.
Thanks I did try to turn the FFB settings down. Do you know if a driving glove would help?

There are tricks like using small rubber balls in the palm while driving to force a light grip.

But in all honesty there is a necessity to meaningfully practice in sim racing to get better. It is far better to practice mentally conditioning yourself to be conscious and grip as lightly and relaxed as possible while still maintaining control and break the habit. Mindlessly driving just repeats and ingrains bad habits like death grip steering.

Then that same mental conditioning is what you use to practice a track over and over to improve, so it’s a far more important skill to develop than just developing a light relaxed grip.

I use cloves and now my hands are less sweaty which leads to a lighter grip. I don’t have the need to grip the wheel that hard because it’s less slippy.

I used to do this and forced myself out of the habit by consciously thinking about it. I did turn the ffb down a bit too. Lightly gripping the wheel does help you feel and respond to ffb rather than fight it. Made me faster and more consistent.

Or you could just try strengthening your grip, so that a hard wheel grip is not tiring you out.

Hey there. It sounds like you are pretty tense when you play, like I used to be, and sometimes still am.

My problem was mostly related to adhd, but I think my tips will apply to the same symptoms you have.

Before I race I will do 20 push ups, 20 situps, 10 squats and squeeze my forearm grip things about 25 times. It only takes a few minutes and puts my body into a more relaxed state, where before my ankle might twitch a bit or my arms might be tense. It sounds silly but you are still using almost all of your muscles even if it's not at full capacity. Your seating position also plays a huge role, where you try to use bigger muscle groups to make smoother movements rather than your wrists.

One check I always do is see if my tongue is touching the roof of my mouth. That's stress and you stop that. I check to see if my jaw is clenched and stop that to, because more stress. I take a deep breath in and let all of it out slowly while I relax my shoulders.

I also take 200mg of Magnesium everyday because it's a natural muscle relaxer and mood relaxer that you can actually tell is working and doesn't knock you.

Most of these tips are from my psychologist who specializes in behavioral and sports psychology used to see as a youth and he pretty much saved my life. He's also helped someone win The Masters... he wouldn't say who although it's pretty easy to figure out in Canada. 😉

I hope these tips help you out as I know what a hindrance it can be. Good luck.

I use cloves and now my hands are less sweaty which leads to a lighter grip. I don’t have the need to grip the wheel that hard because it’s less slippy.

That's what I was doing wrong... This whole time I have been using nutmeg. Drats.

A glass of wine or a beer helps you to relax 😁
parisian-next-to-a-huge-glass-with-beer-in-the-fifties.jpg

In through the nose, out through the mouth.

Of all the tricks, this one has always worked the best.

I made some ghetto Breathe Right strips out of band aids and old gift cards. Some people like me just don't mouth breathe much unless under heavy physical stress, or I chew gum to improve my motor skills and anxiety levels, so this is a workaround. I can't state enough just how much this improves your breathing! It gives you the ability to do breathing through the nose efficiently and effortlessly. It feels weird at first with how much air you are getting but it's refreshing. Only thing is I look like the 40 year old virgin🤓. It's too bad even the real ones look dorky because I want to wear one all the time now.

Fun fact: I learned how to make the strips from an article about someone making them in prison for snoring inmates....you know.. so they didn't get killed. 😑

I realize the simple answer is “just don’t grip the steering wheel so tightly”, but the reality is that when I am immersed in the game I absolutely cannot help it and my hand starts to hurt anytime I play for over an hour.

Any tips on how to stop myself from doing this? I turned the force feedback settings down but it didn’t seem to help too much.

Thanks.
It is the simple answer, and also the correct answer. Acquire self-control. Self-control is a vital concept. You must.
How do you expect to be able to control a car when you cannot even control yourself?

Last edited:
I have never been diagnosed but from experience and from talking with friends who have been I do believe I lean towards adhd. I can be obsessive and also very indifferent about things. Depends on my interest but if i find something I love I cannot leave it be. I learn or try or search until I feel satisfied I've done the thing as well or as much as I can....

THC was legalized here a few years ago and in my younger years I used it quite a bit. I had to stop for a while because of the work I do and potential tests for it, but now that's not a thing here so I am a regular user. Playing GT without oftentimes results in me not finding my potential. I quite literally can lock myself in if I use a little while I play. It totally lets me relax and breathe and just takes that sharp edge of tension away without hindering my reaction times (in fact it seems to do the opposite for me).

I'm not saying it's a cure all and I'm definitely not telling you to use an illicit substance, if it is indeed illicit where you are, but I've found great benefit from it without any negative side effects.

I know leaning on a substance is not the answer for many and that there are ways to do the same thing through exercise and diet and mindful living as well.

I have never been diagnosed but from experience and from talking with friends who have been I do believe I lean towards adhd. I can be obsessive and also very indifferent about things. Depends on my interest but if i find something I love I cannot leave it be. I learn or try or search until I feel satisfied I've done the thing as well or as much as I can....

THC was legalized here a few years ago and in my younger years I used it quite a bit. I had to stop for a while because of the work I do and potential tests for it, but now that's not a thing here so I am a regular user. Playing GT without oftentimes results in me not finding my potential. I quite literally can lock myself in if I use a little while I play. It totally lets me relax and breathe and just takes that sharp edge of tension away without hindering my reaction times (in fact it seems to do the opposite for me).

I'm not saying it's a cure all and I'm definitely not telling you to use an illicit substance, if it is indeed illicit where you are, but I've found great benefit from it without any negative side effects.

I know leaning on a substance is not the answer for many and that there are ways to do the same thing through exercise and diet and mindful living as well.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid but my mother never wanted me to take any sort of medication for it so I had to learn to co-exist with it either through sport or a plethora of hobbies i had when i was younger. Now in my 20s i rarely feel the effects of it but when i do i can't concentrate very well. But when i use THC i seem to get in a flow and i'm on fire. I did a comparison of lap times when i'm sober and on the devil's lettuce and i seem to be a lot quicker when i'm stoned 🤣🤣. Like you said i do not condone the use of any illicit substances nor do i claim they are good for you or your well being, these are just the effects i have when using THC.

Last edited:
happens to me too, right now both my forearms are hurting like hell when i grab something, and its not the ffb, it's that I pull he wheel towards me when braking. Silly.

Funny thread. No offence.

Make sure you keep your thumbs out, so they don’t get ripped off your hand in a crash. That should keep your focus off how much you’re gripping the wheel.

IMG_1838.jpeg

It hurts. So, thumbs out. Less grip.

I just kept having to remind myself, and every time I did, I would go to fingertips. It's not the most effective way to drive, but whenever I needed to remind myself to relax, breath, relax the core, and take my palms off the wheel for a little bit and just use the fingertips. Just for a bit, maybe a few seconds, or a few corners, then go back to a normal grip... but more relaxed. No real great insight or secret, just keep reminding yourself to relax. It's usually both, hands and core... Breath, relax the core, relax the hands.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back