How to read force feedback on a direct drive wheel?

• Thread starter TheNormsk
  • 4 comments

TheNormsk

Premium
United States
Wisconsin
BritGuyInUSA
I recently got a Fanatec GT DD Pro and the level of force feedback it gives me is completely new to my experience. I have a question on how to read or interpret the force feedback to become a better driver.

I’ve been playing around with the settings, following some on the GT DD Pro thread and the wheel feels weighty and I can feel it build and hold on turns, and I can feel other things going on, but I can often get to a point where I can feel the weight build and build and then it will suddenly let go and the car will spin out.

So my question is how do I interpret that so I can fedl when the car is on the edge and prevent me from pushing it too far into spin out.

Basically what should I be looking for to understand what the wheel it telling me?

Last edited:
I just got a Fanatec DD Pro (5nm) as well but it’s my very first time ever using a wheel in general. I guess that could be an advantage in regard to FFB since I don’t have any expectations and all my settings are on the default and I’m just trying to be consistent and fast with what I have to work with. I’m able to grind Sardegna and Le Mans with the wheel now so it’s just a matter of practice. I wish I could put what the wheel is doing when into words better but I’m learning it more intuitively rather than analytically which is also easier when you have VR.

It's kind of hard for me to describe a feel, but it usually isn't an immediate drop off in grip in dry scenarios. If you feel it start to give, you're losing grip and with practice you'll be able to feel and interpret those and react accordingly. When I was getting adjusted to my wheel (also DD Pro), I turned off traction control entirely to get used to throttle control and try a different variety of cars, FWD, RWD, 4WD, to feel the difference in each without worrying about TC kicking in. If you drive a RWD car and try pushing the throttle a bit to intentionally cause oversteer, you should be able to get a better feel for how to interpret the FFB.

I'm using the recommended defaults from the Fanatec forums, with maybe some slight adjustments. They were pretty good for me, I've heard others don't like them but I think they're balanced pretty well.

I think at the end of the day it's just practice. Sorry I can't give more specifics, it's really hard to describe a feel. You find a band that you want to stay in to maintain grip and you can feel when you're in danger of leaving that band, and the more you get accustomed to a specific car, you can get a feel for each.

The weight you're feeling is the edge of the grip limit. The weight you're feeling as you're turning is the grip of the tires being communicated through the wheel. When you turn too far too fast, the sudden loss in sensation is the tires losing grip. The limit will always be the point where your wheel feels the heaviest. If you're turning the wheel and the resistance you're getting back feels heavy, that is the tires gripping.

I'd recommend messing around with the settings more and see what works for you. I have a thrustmaster TGT 2 so our experiences will be a bit different for sure.

I recently got a Fanatec GT DD Pro and the level of force feedback it gives me is completely new to my experience. I have a question on how to read or interpret the force feedback to become a better driver.

I’ve been playing around with the settings, following some on the GT DD Pro thread and the wheel feels weighty and I can feel it build and hold on turns, and I can feel other things going on, but I can often get to a point where I can feel the weight build and build and then it will suddenly let go and the car will spin out.

So my question is how do I interpret that so I can fedl when the car is on the edge and prevent me from pushing it too far into spin out.

Basically what should I be looking for to understand what the wheel it telling me?
I'd say put it on some settings you like and leave it there. You'll get used to the feeling "the weight build" to its max before it lets go, then you'll know when it's about to let go. You'll get a sixth sense of that pressure and know you need to change something before it's too late.

Back