How to Recover Gran Turismo 7 Corrupted Save Data

• Thread starter Famine
  • 18 comments
"This “always-online” requirement has been implemented by Polyphony Digital in order to prevent save data modification"
...No, it was implemented purely to protect their microtransactions
You're entirely free to hold that interpretation if you wish, but it's not the stated reason that Polyphony Digital gave. The reason given by PD - in fact by Kazunori Yamauchi himself - is the one in the news article.

You're entirely free to hold that interpretation if you wish, but it's not the stated reason that Polyphony Digital gave. The reason given by PD - in fact by Kazunori Yamauchi himself - is the one in the news article.
These things aren't mutually exclusive; protecting save data from external manipulation is a basic requirement for any implementation of a digital currency.

These things aren't mutually exclusive
Nor did I say that they were. But we can only report things stated as things stated, not some other people's interpretation of what the real reason is.

What's stated in the article is what PD (via Yamauchi) said - and it's weird that anyone would respond to this as if we're making it up, as rather loudly suggested by the "no"...

What’s the point in PD stopping save game cheaters when you can’t port the file to a usb in the first place. With cloud only saves surely you can’t cheat the game so why online always then. I can’t play the game right now because my area has an internet outage it’s been 3 days straight it sucks. And if it comes back on it turns off after a while. Terrible internet drama for me lol. Cheers Optus!

Last edited:
If someone were to be able to manipulate save files, who is to say they could not find a way to have them moved to a usb stick or even have a way to manipulate their console?

The online requirement is what is required to play the game. This is how they want the game to operate and we cannot change that. It is that simple.

Nor did I say that they were. But we can only report things stated as things stated, not some other people's interpretation of what the real reason is.

What's stated in the article is what PD (via Yamauchi) said - and it's weird that anyone would respond to this as if we're making it up, as rather loudly suggested by the "no"...
I'm not suggesting you're making it up, I'm saying the official 'reason' given by PD is 'what they're doing' and not 'why they're doing it'. Yes, they want to protect save data from manipulation, but why, in the single-player experience? They could easily save locally and in the cloud, and verify the offline save file when you go online... I know I shouldn't expect any kind of criticism of PD from gtplanet at this point, I know you're job isn't to call PD out for their blatantly anti-consumer actions and Kaz's half-truths, it's to report the news plainly and in an unbiased manner. But simply repeating PD and Kaz's statements is by definition bias. It makes gtplanet look to be stenographers, not journalists.

Things won't change for the better if GT's core community doesn't hold PD and Kaz accountable, and the best way to do that is to be critical of what they say and do.

Well if you get a flash drive/USB port, you won't have to worry about losing data, just put the flash drive in one of the rectangular slots of the ps5 and transfer/copy the data from the ps5 to the flash drive. That way if something happens like the system dies or a power failure causes the data to mess up you can stick the flash drive in the new ps5 and presto! that data will be saved! Just a suggestion.

Well if you get a flash drive/USB port, you won't have to worry about losing data, just put the flash drive in one of the rectangular slots of the ps5 and transfer/copy the data from the ps5 to the flash drive. That way if something happens like the system dies or a power failure causes the data to mess up you can stick the flash drive in the new ps5 and presto! that data will be saved! Just a suggestion.
That won't work. The save file on the server is treated as the master copy. It's entirely impossible to start a new save file on the same PlayStation account. If you do a fresh install on a new PS5 and start the game, you will be required to connect to the servers to play, and you will download the save file that is stored on the server. You cannot play otherwise (outside of the very limited offline modes, but who wants to do that?)

The problems come when the server copy is corrupted or otherwise broken. Now that broken file is the master copy, and you cannot do anything about it, it's stored on their server. Only they can fix it.

The reason for the 'No' I imagine is simply that if they wanted to protect the data from manipulation - such as people hacking car data to gain an advantage - there are many ways they could do this just as well, if not better than they are now while still allowing for an offline single-player experience. The only data in the save that would necessitate server-side protection and validation is the credit count, and only because of the microtransaction implementation.

So yes, the always-online requirement is there to protect the data from manipulation - specifically, the credit count. It's basic business-level weaselly semantics that we can all see through (hence the 'No' in response to the vaguery put forth by Kaz / PD), so lets just leave it at that.

Additionally, your comment of 'You're entirely free to hold that interpretation if you wish' is one that anyone would reasonably interpret as discounting or dismissing said interpretation as invalid, & implying that they were mutually exclusive.

I'm not suggesting you're making it up
Then please do not quote the article and, for an opening to your response, say it's untrue.
I know I shouldn't expect any kind of criticism of PD from gtplanet at this point

🤷‍♂️

And given all my comments through the forum about microtransactions, the game economy, seemingly obvious features that are not present, the invitation feature literally yesterday... it seems like you're just reading what you want to read.
it's to report the news plainly and in an unbiased manner. But simply repeating PD and Kaz's statements is by definition bias.
Being unbiased is in fact bias. Weird.
The reason for the 'No' I imagine is simply that if they wanted to protect the data from manipulation - such as people hacking car data to gain an advantage - there are many ways they could do this just as well, if not better than they are now while still allowing for an offline single-player experience. The only data in the save that would necessitate server-side protection and validation is the credit count, and only because of the microtransaction implementation.

So yes, the always-online requirement is there to protect the data from manipulation - specifically, the credit count. It's basic business-level weaselly semantics that we can all see through (hence the 'No' in response to the vaguery put forth by Kaz / PD), so lets just leave it at that.
All terrific, but literally not the point.
Additionally, your comment of 'You're entirely free to hold that interpretation if you wish' is one that anyone would reasonably interpret as discounting or dismissing said interpretation as invalid, & implying that they were mutually exclusive.
Not even slightly, although clearly you've inferred that for some reason.

The point is that "online saves because PD [shenanigans]" is an opinion you can hold if you wish, but the stated reason from PD itself as attributed in the article is "because cheating". We can't report speculation and alternative interpretations from third parties as official stated reasons, and therefore don't.

I don't quite get why people want to use the thread for this article about a tool provided to help players who experience issues due to this design decision (which I also do not like, despite having an entirely robust internet connection that has experienced failure for a grand total of eight hours in seven years; it doesn't affect me, but it's not about me) as a point of attack for PD and for GTPlanet, but it's run its course now.

Last edited:
Not even slightly, although clearly you've inferred that for some reason.
Then apologies for the misread; the 'if you wish' came across as somewhat passive-aggressive, but re-reading it after reading your response it's clear what your intended meaning was, and how it relates to your position and the article itself.

As for PD, this website is one of the few places I know they check for feedback, so it's where I'm voicing my issues with the game. I know the chances of them removing the always-online requirement are so low as to be practically non-existent, but it'll take a year or so for that last spark of hope that they might listen to fade.

What’s the point in PD stopping save game cheaters when you can’t port the file to a usb in the first place. With cloud only saves surely you can’t cheat the game so why online always then. I can’t play the game right now because my area has an internet outage it’s been 3 days straight it sucks. And if it comes back on it turns off after a while. Terrible internet drama for me lol. Cheers Optus!
Every Aussie should know Optus is crap.
But their are worse options than Optus, like TPG

Having reported the loss of saved data, I’m waiting for a response. I’m guessing I’m part of a long queue.

Is there an actual communication plan?

Yeah I submitted a request for help in getting past our stuck progress issue in menu book 4. How long does it take? Will I receive communication when it's done?

Latest Posts

Back