How to tune Camber?

• Thread starter Stasibomb
  • 8 comments
Australia
Australia
STASIBOMB
Hi Guys,

I've always tuned camber and ARBs together. I would adjust the camber to give the best rotation G values possible. Now in the new update (1.23), rotational G values do not change any more, so how am I supposed to know how to adjust camber?

As if staring at numbers was the solution. PP values are not set in stone, for example. You need to actually test out on track if the setup works or not.

As if staring at numbers was the solution. PP values are not set in stone, for example. You need to actually test out on track if the setup works or not.
Alright Professor Tune Guy. Testing Camber is very hard to do. Normally camber is tuned through telemetry and tyre temperatures. We don't have tyre temperatures, so rotational G's was how I chose camber for my builds.

I also know exactly what something new I get from the market will taste like by just looking at the price tag.

Tume

Last edited:
Longer winded way but i go to short track,like red bull ring for example,put in a lap,adjust.Repeat.I know its longer but i feel its more accurate than the rotational g figures,you can see the difference yourself when you drive,after 3 o4 laps ive got some idea of where i want to be.
The rotational and other figures may indicate its good but the driving experience may tell you another,this works for me but its not for everybody. 👍

Hi Guys,

I've always tuned camber and ARBs together. I would adjust the camber to give the best rotation G values possible. Now in the new update (1.23), rotational G values do not change any more, so how am I supposed to know how to adjust camber?
I use Tsukuba because it's filled with the 3 types of corners that are easiest to check for camber, hair pins, flat sweepers, off camber turns.
I look for low speed understeer (especially corner entry, usually shows up as a plow and then hooking up with grip, indication of too much camber). And then the sweeper/off camber turns for feel, ie is my front or rear sliding without much input, front not reacting well to trying to tighten my line. I aim for camber that is below or at completely flat for most turns, roll to barely positive in the tightest turns. The off camber turn should have a little push, excessive push like that of a slow hairpin indicates too much camber, and no push probably indicates not enough camber.

There can be other tuning problems that cause these issues, but general builds work well in this game and I haven't encountered a car that is on stock/near stock settings that have excessive issues that doesn't allow me to tune camber. Granted I do camber after freq/ride height, and first pass damper.

As people have said, it's pretty much tune by feel now that the update has porked the benchmark G and stability data.

For an FR car, what I feel for is; front camber will give a more responsive turn in, too much will lead to understeer and worse braking. Watch for a responsive turn in but then understeer immediately after. For rears, I find that a little rear camber improves mid corner to exit grip, as you first open the throttle the wheels won't spin as easily. But then later in the exit they will spin and straight line accel can suffer.

You might wish to occasionally try tuning with tyre wear on, in gt sport I found the best camber settings preserved the tyres a bit longer as well as giving more grip. You can see the tyre bar go red and compare between settings after say, 5 laps.

If camber is too high and hurts braking you might be able to tell by watching how easily the abs light flickers. Hopefully PD will re enable the benchmark stats soon.

Thankyou all for your input! It's a bit more work, but I guess testing really is the only way to go (even before the update). Thx for the input

If PD do re enable the statistics, if you trust them, I'd advise setting your camber a bit below the max rotational G. The max G camber should be perfect for mid corner but may not be optimal at other corner phases. You can also use the understeer/oversteer balance, eg adjust front camber until you get the least understeer (or most oversteer), this corresponds to the most front grip. Then repeat for rears. I used to set my camber as a compromise between the best us/os balance and best rotational G. This would usually not be too bad on the acceleration stats either, and it felt supple but grippy.

Back