How to use a delay pedal...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Touring Mars
  • 9 comments
  • 1,720 views

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Staff Emeritus
Messages
31,357
Scotland
Edinburgh
Messages
GTP_Mars
Just found this video on YouTube and wanted to share it with you...

This is Scottish singer/songwriter John Martyn, using nothing but a guitar and Echoplex delay/effects pedal on the BBC's 'Old Grey Whistle Test' in 1973... how he manages to play bass, rhythm and lead guitar parts simultaneously, and sing too (probably drunk as well) is quite astonishing...

​
 
Sounded like he had a wah going as well....

With a delay and some shrooms and i could do it. ;)
 
:lol: Don't know about the shrooms, but I think John Martyn collaborated with Jack Daniel on a regular basis...

After I posted that vid, I went into town and bought the album with 'I'd Rather Be The Devil' on it, and am listening to it now :)
 
Those lyrics definately had Jack Daniel's mark all over them.

Delay pedals are fun. It's like getting 10 effects in 1 :D. Getting the pedal to feedback on itself is quite amusing (and annoying to anyone in the room).
 
I do that with my RP1, from time to time. Well, I used to. Sounds like a Uni-Vibe in there, too.

I also like using echo as a looper. I play a particular line, and then change the overdrive setting, and go for something different. After adding several layers of guitar, bass and percussive loops, I turn the echo effect off, but it still repeats what I laid down. It's a lot of fun to come up with stuff. Problem is, I'm stuck with 1.5 second repeats. It's better than nothing.
 
I'm pretty sure Keller Williams uses them a lot. I've never listened to him though.
 
Cool find Mars 👍 What an awesome tune and quite a sight to see how little work went into making such a nice sound.

Hopefully without stealing the thread... Can anyone suggest a pedal set or equivalent that'll make some similar sounds to both the delay and wah effects (£50 - £80 for both)? Cheers.
 
Cool find Mars 👍 What an awesome tune and quite a sight to see how little work went into making such a nice sound.

Hopefully without stealing the thread... Can anyone suggest a pedal set or equivalent that'll make some similar sounds to both the delay and wah effects (£50 - £80 for both)? Cheers.

For cheap but still good sounds, go with the following...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AW7-Autowah-Pedal?sku=150235

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DJ17-PB-J-Delay-Pedal?sku=151882


For a little extra money, get this set up. They're used by pros such as Eddie Van Halen, and many more...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-DL4-Delay-Modeler-Pedal?sku=150380

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-535Q-MultiWah-Pedal?sku=151016


If money was no object, I'd get the following...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Carl-Martin-DeLayla-XL-Delay-Pedal?sku=153121 (sound clips available)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...lver-Machine-Mark-II-Wah-Wah-Pedal?sku=155087
 
** Lots of excellent products **

Cheers SL :) I think i'm going to take a good look at the CryBaby and could well be getting it for christmas. Might postpone the delay (so nearly an unfortunate pun..) for a few months.

Mars, that cd you linked to, is that the same sort of music/era as the video? Got some extra slots on my christmas list and wouldn't mind getting hold of some more of his stuff.

[edit]Yes my bad, they show the track title when the video starts and that song is on the album you linked too... :ouch: Bought.[/edit]
 
Back