How to watch motorsports in 2018

• Thread starter Tavilha
  • 10 comments

How would you prefer to watch motorsport races? (select all that apply)

• Live broadcast

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • Non live broadcast

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Entire race

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Just the highlights

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • With commentary

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • Without commentary

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Conventional TV broadcast (non interactive)

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Interactive broadcast (where you can select what to watch)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Onboard camera: forward facing

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Onboard camera: interactive 360º

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Onboard camera: 3D 360º VR headset

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Fully interactive - select any 360º camera on the circuit or onboard and watch exactly what you want

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Portugal
Lisbon
Tavilha
Hello everyone!

As part of a project I'm looking to develop in the near future, I'd like to start by asking you this: how would your ideal motorsport coverage be like?

I, for one, am fed up with the lack of motorsport coverage on TV. I find myself watching livestreams on social media platforms (mostly YouTube), but even so, it's not easy to find coverage of lower tier racing. Who has heard of UK's VTEC Challenge for example? And who's ever watched it live?
I watched the full 2018 N24 race on YouTube and loved how you could watch different onboard livestreams as you pleased and then go back to the directed and commentated trackside footage. It's a shame the onboard footage wasn't in 360º.

So, please vote on this poll, selecting all the options that apply to you, share this so I can get as many responses as possible and feel free to post your thoughts in the comments!

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I watch British Superbikes, World Superbikes, British Touring Cars, live from start to finish, with all races. MotoGp have to watch highlight program, before moved, all races live.

I do watch North West 200 on my computer, as well as other, things Classic Motor sport I enjoy that.:D

I got a satellite system 25 years ago so that I could watch World Superbikes. Over the years I have been lucky enough to watch quite a lot of live motorsport - mainly bikes because I find that more exciting to watch than cars.

I prefer to watch live coverage of motorsport where I am familiar with the competitors and with commentators who I enjoy. I don't normally watch broadcasts of minor motorsport (club level) - I am more likely to go and see a few of these meetings at my favourite track (Brands Hatch) where I can meet and chat with the drivers and mechanics. After the race I sometimes look for youtube coverage of these drivers - most have onboard cameras and some will post footage on youtube - others use the footage for training purposes, but do not share it online.

If there is a big classic event I might watch online e.g. Goodwood, Le Mans Classic, Monaco Historic.

I've always preferred live but in the last few years I'm starting to change that. With Fox having the IMSA contract here in the US their live broadcasts were just awful. Sometimes it's on FS1 but other times it's on FS2 which not everybody has (myself included) so they make it difficult to watch. Plus their Fox Sports Go streaming service is awful too. The same group of commercials on constant rotation, the race is quiet but the commercials are loud when they come on forcing you to dive for your remote to change the volume. So I've just been waiting until the next weekend when the race hits the IMSA Youtube channel and watching it there. No commercials plus I get John Hindaugh and Jeremy Shaw for commentary and Shea Adams who is a very good pit reporter.

For F1 before this year I've always had to wake up at 6am on Saturdays and Sundays to watch European races and I would struggle to stay awake. Now since ESPN has the contract their ESPN Go app will have the race anytime I want it plus they will do several repeats on Sunday somewhere on their channels plus I purchased the F1TV streaming service to see races again or the F2 series.

WEC is a mess in North America right now. In past years I've always purchased the WEC Season pass to watch races online. Now the only way to watch WEC here in North America is through Motor Trend On Demand which is awful. For a service supposedly to be dedicated to Motor Sports they just don't get it. If you miss a live race your just out of luck because they don't do full race replays. Yes you heard that right. You pay a yearly fee for their service and they do not show full races after they have been run live. They also hold the rights for Blancpain GT racing here in North America.

I watch a ton of racing, it’s basically all I watch. I don’t really watch tv, or Netflix, or anything like that anymore.

Some races, the big ones, like F1, or Le Mans, or Bathurst, Indy, etc, I enjoy watching those races live, as I enjoy engaging with people and the commentators via social media during the race.

I don’t have cable anymore, so can’t watch F1 live. I haven’t tried any of the F1 streaming services yet, I haven’t heard great things about it. I just use YouTube and other dark back alleys of the internet to watch F1.

WEC is a complete joke. Like I said I don’t have cable, so don’t have Velocity. I downloaded and payed for the WEC app, only to find out after giving them my money that the App is geo-blocked in North America. Watched Le Mans on a pirated stream this year. The rest of the WEC races, I just wait for them to show up on YouTube.

Things like Bathurst, Daytona 24, Nur 24, Indy 500, I watch on the livestreams, and it’s fantastic!

That said, living in BC (PST), I’m in a terrible time zone for watching a lot of European racing. So, a lot of times, I can’t catch races live. There’s also too much racing in one weekend to watch it all, and too much in the summer months to watch it all. For this reason, I save watching some series for mid week, while others I completely avoid until off season or summer break.

I pay for the Motortrend On Deman app, but it is pathetic and terrible. It takes weeks for them to upload races, sometimes they only upload 5min highlight packs, and other times, they’ll only upload random races as opposed to a complete season. The app has V8SC, BTCC, DTM, Blancpain, and more.

Like I said, they’re slow and incomplete in uploading V8SC, so whilst I pay for the app, I watch V8SC on pirated streams, as it’s the only way to watch it here in Canada without being months behind schedule.

Their coverage of BTCC is worse. For this series, the last several years I’ve been able to find full races on YouTube, just have to do some hunting.

Blancpain and DTM, along with F2, GP3, and F3, I watch on YouTube as they get uploaded.

MotoGP I watch on YouTube, can’t find it anywhere else. Is there a motogp ap that I could buy which would let me watch full races either live or delayed? Can’t find WSBK anywhere either, so that I watch on pirated streams.

ISMA and Indycar, I usually leave those for my midweek watching, as those races get uploaded to YouTube in a timely fashion, on official channels.

SuperGT I watch on the excellent NISMO TV.

WRC I watch on Redbull TV app. It’s decent, has both live and speedy upload of replays. Some of the featurettes are really cringe worthy, but they balance out with some of the excellent co-commentators they use, like Louis Moyer (Sainz’s old co-driver, could listen to that guy talk about rallying all day lol).

WTCR and the rest of the TCR regional series, I find those on YouTube (they’re in Motortrend app too, but uploaded very slowly)

I also spend a lot of time watching old races that I can find on YouTube. From F1 alone, my French, German, Portuguese, and Japanese is growing nicely :) :lol:

Most of my race watching, I don’t need all kinds of active controls, switching from this camera to that camera, etc. Usually, I watch races while doing other things, like cooking dinner or playing video games, even working in the shop, I’ll being the iPad out there and listen to a race like it’s on the radio.

**Just speaking of cameras, my biggest pet peeve with camera angles is the rotating onboard cameras used in Indycar. I can’t stand it when they pan that camera during an overtake, you end up missing all the critical info you can get from watching an overtake from an onboard camera.**

That said, there are times, especially with the premier categories which people like to have discussion about, I would really like the ability to go back to a race, and dissect certain moments from as many angles as possible, if for no other reason than to learn, gain understanding, and participate in conversation.

I don’t watch illegal streams because I want to be badass, or stick it to the man. They’re simply the most proficient way to watch global motorsport in Canada. I have no problem paying money for apps like Motortrend or WEC, but in y experience thus far, the apps are complete crap.

Live
MotoGP
Moto2
Moto3
Formula 1 (when C4 has the right to show live)
Le Mans 24hrs
Random British Superbike races
Random World Superbike races

Semi-Live/Streaming
Nurburgring 24hrs
Spa 24hrs
Suzuka 8hrs
Random British Touring Car races
World Endurance Championship

Highlights
World Rally Championship
World Superbikes
British Superbikes
Random Indycar races
Dakar
Formula 1 (when C4 does not have the right to show live)
Bathurst 12hrs
V8 Supercar Bathurst 1000
Random IMSA races
Daytona 24hrs
Random Blancpain races (either format)
Isle of Man TT races

I don't subscribe to any dedicated services or apps, but if any of their features (360 camera etc.) are available online to view after the race, I might give them a glance over. Particularly in the rare occasion that the cause of an incident is left unresolved during the race.

Streaming is mostly done through the various YouTube channels that appear at the time when the races come around, either through a computer or, preferably, TV. 👍

I haven't been watching so much motorsports recently however the answers in many ways depends on what the race format is.

I prefer the door to door action of touring cars and their shorter race format, so I'd prefer to watch them live. Other types of races I'd quite happily watch the highlights - so therefore not live.

The commentary is generally good so I'd listen to it. However on occasions it would be nice to be able to select alternative sound sources - just the cars, pit radio etc.

Conventional broadcasting is fine for live events, providing it's done well, so I can sit back and just watch the show. Interactive would be more suitable for highlights so you could perhaps rewind and watch something from a different camera.

So I could easily select most of your poll options depending on what I'm watching. :)

Not sure about VR though. Just imagine if the car was involved in a crash, you'd get traumatised! :boggled:

Just to add, and maybe this isn’t even what TC is looking for, but in my opinion, Aussie Supercars is the best broadcast going right now. Both the series as a whole - the variety of events and circuits (I know they have som issues with manufacturers and models); to the actual broadcast itself, they’ve got it right.

The broadcast team is top shelf. The commentary is very well informed, insightful, and it’s funny as hell at times.

Th camera work is top shelf, as is the management of showing replays and covering pitstops, without missing a beat of the action on track.

Driving infringements and penalties are handled in a timely and transparent fashion, so the viewer immediately knows the who, what, where, when, how, and isn't left wondering “why?”

The insight into tire and fuel strategy is great, as is the pit reporting. Same with the track preview with drivers doing commentary during onboard laps.

This is not to say that everything else is terrible, just that in y opinion, Aussie SC does the best, complete job.

First issue I would like tackled is accessibility, so for me streaming would be a good option. It would be nice to have a website and app that would stream the content. Ideally it would allow for live streaming and then on demand watching. Regular coverage with commentary is fine for now. Highlights for the longer races would be a plus.

Just to add, and maybe this isn’t even what TC is looking for, but in my opinion, Aussie Supercars is the best broadcast going right now. Both the series as a whole - the variety of events and circuits (I know they have som issues with manufacturers and models); to the actual broadcast itself, they’ve got it right.

The broadcast team is top shelf. The commentary is very well informed, insightful, and it’s funny as hell at times.

Th camera work is top shelf, as is the management of showing replays and covering pitstops, without missing a beat of the action on track.

Driving infringements and penalties are handled in a timely and transparent fashion, so the viewer immediately knows the who, what, where, when, how, and isn't left wondering “why?”

The insight into tire and fuel strategy is great, as is the pit reporting. Same with the track preview with drivers doing commentary during onboard laps.

This is not to say that everything else is terrible, just that in y opinion, Aussie SC does the best, complete job.

Yes, absolutely, yes.

I watch Blancpain, PWC, GT Open, Super GT and WTCR on YouTube, if I can watch a live race I do it, but most times I watch them when the channel upload the video and I have free time, if is a long race like 6 hours Paul Ricard, 12 hours Bathurst, 24 hours Nurburgring and others, I watch it like if was a serie, 2 -3 hours per day until I finish the race.

Back