How well do weight loss pills work? There are pills also for water weight loss?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Delirious
  • 22 comments
  • 1,260 views

Delirious

Meh
Premium
Messages
2,614
Messages
Metroider17
Just something curious about...I see people where I work (Kroger) buying them and they cost like 30-50 bucks for 50 pills or so...

Do they really work if they cost that much?

New question added at bottom
 
Most ordinary people probably don't need them. If you're obese, nothing will work better than diet and exercise. A lot of products are for bodybuilders and people who are doing serious cutting.
 
The exercise bit I have sorted, but I love my diet so progress is slow. :p

I haven’t considered weight-loss pills, though. I figure I’ll get better results, especially in terms of overall fitness and health, if I do it the hard way. I’ve lost about 13 kilograms in the past year, but, as I said, progress is pretty slow these days.

I was actually out of the gym for a month after my car was written off so I put on 2 or 3 kilos and lost some muscle, but it surprised me that it only took a few session of weights to get back to where I was before in terms of strength and endurance.

Now just got to lose some more stomach. :yuck:
 
I lost 5 pounds the other day just by jogging a mile.
 
I bet it was all water. ;)
 
Anyone else wanna give me some info on if these things really work?
 
They work to an extent but you will still have to exercise and eat a proper diet in order to get in shape. When it comes to getting in shape and losing weight, there's really no easy way of doing or any short cuts. It all takes time but if you keep working at it, you won't even need any pills and you'll notice the weight coming off, the energy increasing and your clothes fitting better.

Diet pills are mostly just a gimmick and any that tells you that you can lose weight without exercise if full of it. Sure, it may control your hunger and you will lose weight but are you losing the right weight? Most people don't know that the weight they're losing isn't just fat but also muscle. Controlling your intake when your body isn't used to it will cause the body to start burning away at the muscles after it has burned up the limited calories that you've provided for it. This is also the reason why people gain their weight back when they get off these diet plans or pills and more than often, they become heavier than they were before they got on the diet plan/pills. Also, when you go on these gimmicky diet plans or pills, you will NOT have more energy and your clothes will not fit you as well as if you were to exercise and eat properly.

The longer it takes for you to get in shape, even once you stop working out, the longer it'll be to put that weight back on. My advanced weight training coach told me this back in High School and he was a bodybuilder when he was younger. He said proper exercise and diet is the best thing you can do when you want to get in shape. If you want to put on muscle weight then that's when the protein drinks come into play. You'll notice that the better shape you're in, not only will you feel more energetic but the muscles will also help you burn more fat and increase your metabolism.

Hope that helped with your question. :)
 
Diet and exercise. Diet and exercise. Diet and exercise. Diet and exercise. Diet and exercise.

I took a nutrition class (which also covered a lot of physiology and metabolic pathways), and I would expect any diet pill to have side effects or potential side effects because of the way they work. For example, I happen to know that Alli, which is an over-the-counter weight loss thingamabob, prevents the absorption of fat. Now, I can tell you, just based on what I know about these things, without doing any research, that a major side effect would probably be loose stool (if fat doesn’t get absorbed by your small intestines, it has to go somewhere) and lower absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

There’s no doubt that these things work or can work, but health is a holistic lifestyle choice. Think about this: let’s presume that a diet pill “removes” about 30% of fat from your diet. Now let’s say you can choose between a healthy meal with X amount of fat, or a meal with 1.30X amount of fat. Eating the healthy meal will bring in the same amount of fat into your body as eating the other meal with a diet pill; however, don’t you think that the meal with more fat will also be intrinsically more unhealthy for reasons other than just fat?
 
My dad tried them for a few weeks and found they did more harm than good.

Basically he was feeling tired more often and any intake of Alcohol was increasing the effect even more. He did take them alongside exercise but found he lost little to no weight.

Your best bet is naturally speeding up your metabolism. Drink lots of water, eat regularly but heathily, don't wait untill your hungry to eat instead eat at set meals times and finally build up some muscle mass. Muscle mass in itself will use up calories even when not in use. Oh yeah, and just by turning down the temperature (or sleep with the window open like I do) can make your body burn calories to maintain body temperature.

All these are things that I either did already (set meals times, window open) or came about as I tried to live a healhier life style.
 
Water & extercise, that's all you need. I drink 2-3 litres water per day, I jog at least 4 days a week, and thanks to this, I've lost 15 kilos in 2 years...


Exercise instead of taking pills, it's most probably healthier and you'll be in form as well :cheers:


Omnis: Jogging FTW! 👍
 
You don't even need diet, diets are in my opinion a load of crap.
I think you might be confusing diet with dieting. ;) Diet quite literally means nutrition, so when I say “diet and exercise”, I just mean to pay attention to nutritional intake. Dieting means do silly things like only eating cabbage or whatever the hell they’re doing now.
 
I think you might be confusing diet with dieting. ;) Diet quite literally means nutrition, so when I say “diet and exercise”, I just mean to pay attention to nutritional intake. Dieting means do silly things like only eating cabbage or whatever the hell they’re doing now.


Aaah, thanks for clearing that up, cheers 👍


*edits post*
 
As someone who really struggles to keep my weight in check, I have gone down the diet pill route several times.

Only one type of pill I took worked, I lost three stones in around a year but I haven't been able to get the same pill since (i've tried!). All of the rest haven't done a thing.
That was back in 2003/2004 when I started off weighing 13 stones and dropped down to 10 stones. My weight does yo-yo constantly although there's a pattern where if i'm unhappy with my life, I tend to lose weight. 2003/2004 was when I was going through a marriage break-up and divorce so perhaps it could be put down to that and not the pills?
Currently i'm the happiest i've ever been so of course i've put weight on again (!), i'll do something about it at some point in time, i'm sure :)

To sum up, diet pills don't work. Adjusting your dietary intake does work, try the low G.I. diet. It's the only one i've tried which actually does work, in the correct way, allowing you to lose around a lb of weight per week which is how it should be.
Exercise does work for some, not for me unfortunately (i've tried it).
 
^^^Yep, sounds like he's hitting a plateau. The only way to get pass this is to change up your exercise routine every couple of months so that your body isn't used to the same routine and adapts to it. A lot of weight lifters do these "shock" routines every 6-8 weeks to keep themselves from hitting a plateau.
 
I blame most of that plateau on the fact that I didn&#8217;t go to the gym for a month after my accident so energy out <= energy in. We&#8217;ll see what progress is like in another two or three weeks. ;)
 
Ok there are now pills for water weight loss it seems...

What would you guys then say is the best way to lose water weight in your body?
 
Exercise.
 
Diet, exercise, have a lot of sex and drink a lot of water.

If you exercise, the fat you burn changes into CO2, which you breath out and, into water which you pee out. So drink a lot of water to get rid of all that water and burned fat in your body. You also tend to sweat when you work out, which is good.


Help :guilty:
 
Ok there are now pills for water weight loss it seems...

What would you guys then say is the best way to lose water weight in your body?

Urinate? Get a Delhi belly?
 
There are a couple of prescription meds that will elevate your metabolism.
But, side-effect wise, they are more of a pain than anything.
Adipex will cause a weight loss of about 30 lb in six weeks.
However, you will also have to live with constipation, flop sweats, and a hyper-vigilant state akin to a caffiene high without the shakes.

Plus, as has been stated, if you take an appetite suppresant, you must still eat in order to keep your body from catabolizing muscle.
Your metaolism will automatically register that you have a decreased intake and start storing fat, and using/consuming muscle.
 
Ok there are now pills for water weight loss it seems...

What would you guys then say is the best way to lose water weight in your body?

Best way would be to take a diuretic. I wouldn't recommend doing that at all, though. Just jump rope or something.
 
I lost 5 pounds the other day just by jogging a mile.

that's quite impressive. Were you hit by a car or something and had to have a limp partially amputated? That's the only way I'd lose 5 pounds anyway..
 
Back