Hurricane Patricia - Now strongest on record

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 52 comments
My inner weather geek really likes storms like this because it shows the power of nature, but the human in me feels awful for those that have to experience it and will end up losing something due to it. Hopefully the evacuations save lives and the worst anyone has to suffer is property damage and not the loss of a loved one.

Amazingly, the government has put up quite a well organized operation to ensure that the most possible people stay safe. If people cooperate, there shouldn't be any life loss, but the damages will still be disastrous.

Oh, btw, it's touched land.

By the time it makes landfall it would be harmless as a fly...

Are you serious?

Remember Hurricane Ike that hit Texas in 2008? There was a massive "wind storm" caused by the hurricane and a cold front that went hundreds of miles north east of Texas. I live in Kentucky and this happened to us:
http://www.weather.gov/lmk/sep_14_08

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And that was hundreds of miles away by a much weaker hurricane. I don't want to even think about what this one is going to do.

Which would essentially cause it to beeline to Texas/Louisiana coast.
The effects of the storm have already hit us in Dallas. The cold front that came in from the west met with moisture from Patricia which has intensified the rain we were going to receive regardless & put the state in a flood watch. I believe the Formula 1 events today were cut short & who knows if the race will carry on tomorrow for the full length. The storms that came through today had 2 instances of gusting rain & low visibility, before letting up a bit. I'm expecting a couple more, short spouts tomorrow at work.

The effects of the storm have already hit us in Dallas. The cold front that came in from the west met with moisture from Patricia which has intensified the rain we were going to receive regardless & put the state in a flood watch. I believe the Formula 1 events today were cut short & who knows if the race will carry on tomorrow for the full length. The storms that came through today had 2 instances of gusting rain & low visibility, before letting up a bit. I'm expecting a couple more, short spouts tomorrow at work.
I was about to say the exact same thing. The hurricane seems to be in a direct path for us here in Dallas.

For anyone in the "blast zone", I hope you guys are safe and it passes without too much damage or destruction!

As far as I know, there aren't any active GTP members that live over there. At least all the mexican GTPers I know of should be safe and sound. Rained on, but safe and sound.

I've read that the storm had "Weakened" to 165 MPH before it hit Mexico, but is still very dangerous. I hope and pray everyone evacuated and is safe from harm.

Patricia has been downgraded this morning to a tropical storm with maximum sustained winds of 50 mph. It died pretty quickly one it hit land.

Which could potentially flood.
And that's partly what makes hurricanes so dangerous. The sheer scale of them means that they combine the intensity of several kinds of natural disasters. The winds are well known; more powerful storms could be likened to a 15-20 mile wide EF3 or EF4 tornado. Add to that the storm surge, which can be likened to a small tsunami, and the torrential rains which have the potential to dump over a foot of rain, and you start to get a scale of the power.

By the time it makes landfall it would be harmless as a fly...
Credit where credit is due:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/24/americas/hurricane-patricia/index.html
By late Saturday morning, Patricia had been downgraded to a tropical depression, sapped by mountainous terrain, with 35-mph sustained winds. It's expected to dissipate Saturday night.
Mexican officials had expressed cautious optimism overnight, with President Enrique Peña Nieto saying "damages have been minor to those corresponding to a hurricane of this magnitude."
"We expected a much bigger disaster, with more water and heavier winds," he said. "We believe God helped us through this monster hurricane. We're still here."

All I can see is a few cuts and bruises so far, no major injuries and no deaths.

They aren't out of the woods yet, with the amount of rain they are getting flooding and mudslides are a real possibility. It also looks like Texas isn't fairing all that well either as a result of the storm.

That's one big-arse fly.

2940.jpg

3657.jpg

b73e10b2-e20f-4935-9b86-e56c30a38b32-2060x1236.jpeg

3b708d7b-0b9d-4cfe-af0f-e09dc3a1ab48-2060x1236.jpeg

Not MegaShark-Tornado level, no, but not much fun.

-

They should be thankful the storm weakened. Haiyan's winds were so strong some people on the coast (caught out in the open trying in vain to batten down their houses) got blown up into the air and hundreds of meters away.

It made landfall with winds of 165 mph (20 mph greater than Hurricane Andrew) so no, he didn't.
The hurricane force winds 'only' spanned about 30 miles from the eye at max intensity, so most of the region dodged a bullet since it made landfall in a fairly non-populated area. But for the place that did get directly hit, it was quite the storm for sure.

It was bad enough.. I saw video of homes being washed away by the flooding..
Hope everyone stayed safe at least.. And a lot of children affected most likely too..
It's good the terrain slowed it down.. Still feel bad for them though..

I knew it was not going to be that bad, almost all storms that make landfall in that area get stopped and shredded by the Sierra Madre. It'd be another story if that thing entered through the gulf or Tehuantepec.

There are no reports of deaths, in Mexico at least. (1 in Nicaragua and Guatemala, 4 in El Salvador)

Incredible that this Monster hurricane basically banished just as fast as it appeared... just increible...

Latest Posts

Back